Tonel Deal Done?

Unless of course he has been requested to retract the statement as the article suggested it was pretty much a done deal.

Could have been asked to deny it to ensure that no other clubs nips in and steals him from under our nose.

Made up transfer stories tend not to contain swathes of quotes from both player and agent. I thought it a bit odd that the quotes had come out before Rangers had announced any deal. I remain confident that the deal is done and perhaps the announcement was being saved as a possible "pick me up" or "further boost to title challenge" story to be released after the OF game on Sat. I reckon the player and agent have had a slap on the wrist over this as they were more than likely told to keep it quiet.

Just my experience of the way Murray does things.

RANGERS were last night warned they face competition from two of Europe's biggest leagues for the services of Sporting Lisbon defender Tonel.

But the Portuguese player's agent insisted that the lure of European football every season could convince the player to resist advances from Spain and Italy.

Marcelo Cipriano, Tonel's Brazilian-born agent confirmed that the Ibrox club have been closely monitoring his client, left, but is adamant that no move has been made yet.

He said: "There has been no contact with Sporting, or with me, from Rangers. I know they have been observing Tonel since last summer but nothing has come of it so far.

"I spoke to the player last night and he has heard nothing.

"Tonel is a very good player and in the last two seasons has been one of Sporting's best players.

"It is normal for clubs to be looking at him and I know that others in Spain and Italy, as well as Rangers, have been observing him.

"No club has made an offer, though, so there is nothing anybody can say."

Cipriano, who had a spell as a striker at Birmingham City, knows his client is out of contract at the end of the season and believes his next deal will be vital.

He added: "Tonel is very happy at Sporting. He has a high status in the team and with the supporters.

"But he is now 28-years-old and is at the stage where he has to look at his career and look after his family.

"We know Rangers are a very good club. They play in Europe every season and it is appealing for any player to take part in top European competition every season.

"Going to Scotland would not be a backward step but nothing has been offered."