The True Loyal Natives

Posted by D'Artagnan on RM...

"Ye true 'Loyal Natives' attend to my song,

In uproar and riot rejoice the night long,

From envy and hatred your corps is exempt,

But where is your shield from the darts of contempt ! "

(Robert Burns 1793)

I've always had a sense of wonderment at Burns Suppers.

An evening devoted to Scotland's most famous son, has within it's itinerary and protocol, a toast to our Monarch, referred to as the 'Loyal Toast.' It is every bit a part of a traditional Burns supper as the Selkirk Grace or haggis.

In this most Scottish of social ceremonies, paying tribute to one of Scotland's most famous sons, is a moments pause, of reflection, of honour to our Monarch.

For me it serves to underline the importance of the Monarchy to many Scots. But the expression of such loyalty in poem or song is not exclusive to Burns.The song.. Lads among the heather has a wonderful line..

'When the Queen needs her soldiers she knows where to come'

I have little doubt that for many the act of toasting our monarch does not sit comfortably....it must rile those same people that such a loyalty to the crown is associated with our country.

These words, like the Loyal Toast, captures the loyal heart which beats under many a Scotsman's heart. Perhaps the political debates which of recent years have tended to overshadow this fact.

In a Scotland where more than often we often find ourselves fighting a rearguard action to defend our British identity, perhaps a casualty of that action is that we have, from time to time, lost sight of the importance of our Scottish identity. For without the assertion of our Scottishness - we cannot claim the right to be British.

This Saturday's Scotland Day at Ibrox is an opportunity which should not be missed. Its an opportunity to re-assert our a Scottish identity which has been overlooked in recent years.

Its time for 'The True Loyal Natives' to let their voices be heard.

Rangers FC - Scottish, British and proud.

Wha's like us ?

An excellent article - with this in mind, thought that I'd post the lyrics to one of my favourite culturial songs -

Loyal Heart

From Loyal veins my life I drew,

In Loyal arms I lay,

From Loyal Lips that Lessons new,

That led me day by day,

And hearts to rest in Loyal Breast,

And rocked on Loyal knee,

They wore and grew and thank God too,

A Loyal Heart in me.

Then came the day for all to view,

When scorn and lies held sway,

Those evil men with no virtue,

They swore my life away,

But for dare or ill I am Loyal Still,

They never can decree,

To force retreat or stop the beat,

The Loyal Heart in me.

At times I sigh at times I rest,

Amid Scenes and faces strange,

The passing years have in my breast,

Brought little or no change,

Memories of old ever bright I hold,

Since rocked on Loyal knee,

And for her sake no jail will break,

This Loyal Heart in me.

-------------------------

Cammy F

Outstanding article. Thanks for posting Frankie.

Yes, must agree with the 'Scottish and British' element. It did set me thinking though. What would be our stance if Scotland were to become an independent nation? Although it may not seem likely at the moment with the economic situation, I wouldn't be surprised to see it happen in my lifetime. As an exiled Scot, I've always thought that devolution was the worst of both worlds - either a fully independent Scotland or a full member of the United Kingdom, no halfway house (Home Rule is not independence).

As Burns said, "'Sic a parcel of rogues in a nation", referring to the sell-out of Scotland for English gold. Yet he himself signed up to the Dumfries Volunteers just before his death.