Exclusive by Lindsay Herron

RINO GATTUSO will be hurting at Ibrox on Wednesday night because he will not be able to play against his beloved Rangers.

A serious knee injury has wrecked his season and he is so disappointed that he won't be able to grace the turf once more.

However, the combative midfielder who became a cult hero with the fans 11 years ago, will be thrilled to meet his mentor Walter Smith and believes the manager can deliver the SPL title this season.

Rino Gattuso and Walter Smith Speaking exclusively to Rangers Media at the sensational Milanello training complex, he said: "My knee is getting better and I hope to be back in the squad within three months so I'm happy with that but I'm not happy that I will miss the chance to play against Rangers at Ibrox,

"I will be coming to the game, though, and it will be great to meet up with some old friends.

"I had only one and half years in Glasgow but it was a great time for me. I met a lot of great people and they all stay in my heart.

"It's great that Walter Smith, Ally McCoist and Ian Durrant are all back at the Club and I saw them recently.Rino Gattuso celebrates his goal against Beitar Jerusalem

"I was back at Ibrox a year ago for the game with Motherwell and I went down to the manager's office after the match and it was like meeting up with the family again.

"Walter was the most important man in my career and the best man in career. He gave me my big chance to play for a big club and I will never forget that.

"But he has been an influence in my life too, not just my job. He is a nice person and I speak to him on the phone from time to time.

"I hope that Walter can be successful again and of course I want him to win the league.

"There is a smaller gap now between Rangers and Celtic so there is a chance.

"It is four years since Rangers won the league so I know that they will be desperate to win it this year.

"Celtic are a hard team. They have players who have been together for a while and Strachan is a very clever manager.

"But Rangers have good players too and they still have a good chance."