Does anyone really care right now whether we play "attractive" football? I'm all for boring 1-0 wins if it wins us the league.

The team we've been playing recently is pretty close to what many fans would choose and it's hard to see what we could change for a big improvement.

Just what is the weak part of the team at the moment? The midfield seems to be taking the flak but simultaneously gaining praise for Fleck. That suggests to me that Davis, Mendes and Ferguson are the ones not performing. As they are three of the most highly regarded players, could it be that they are just having a dip in form? Or is it that Barry is passed it and with his captain's role, that he's bringing the midfield down a level?

Your first sentence poses a hell of a question for success-starved supporters and you do well to raise it. I'm not sure I have an entirely consistent stance on it but attractive football certainly suggests more talent than we have today and more talent generally wins more games.

We have to continually remind ourselves not to settle for second best at this club. We haven't won over 100 trophies by having anything but the highest standards. Whether we always achieve them may be another matter but it seems to me we have built our success on a clear and fundamental determination to be the best. Think Bill Struth and it needs no further explanation.

The people who own and run our club these days do not, in my opinion, have those same standards at heart and that is essentially why I believe they need to leave.

With that in mind and from that perspective, the current team lacks a great deal. Width in midfield, attacking fullbacks, set piece options, goals from midfield or defence, etc, etc, we can all see the deficits. We need to win this title and enough ugly 1-0 wins will do it - but it's possible right now that we'll fall short again because we still have too many of the weaknesses we've already displayed against the likes of St Mirren and ICT.

I'm continually torn between being desperate for the team on the park to win - and frustration that our player acquisition has been poor, we consistently play them out of position, adopt inappropriate tactics and generally present a disorganised approach at management level. If you didn't know better, you would think Walter was a new manager having to learn from his mistakes.

As I've said elsewhere, our greatest hope at the moment comes from the fact that sellick are now showing the same weaknesses as us. But thinking the current Rangers squad is anything but well below the required standard is never going to solve our recent lack of success.

What we need to do is stop going backwards and start improving. Which will require stronger corporate governance, more astute management of the playing side, and better players on the park. Unfortunately, right now, the first of these is holding us back and will continue to do so.