I regularly watched the Youths for a dozen years or so, Charlie Miller being by far the best prospect I have seen. The thing about any Youth system is that it's first priority is to ensure the lad(s) makes a living from the game. They are professional youths and the system should equip them to maintain a standard of life in the professional game.

Over the years, Rangers have accomplished this first priority in spades. Even the Yahoos have recognised the quality of input in our system, signing Barry Robson, Steven Pressley, Craig Beattie, ................., etc. Former Rangers youths populate every team. However, for most fans, it is the jump from promising youth equipped to deal with the professional game and first team regular at Rangers.

These last years, several youths have established themselves, in fact we have played teams that have included Barry, McGregor, Hutton, Burke, Adam, Smith, .......etc, the majority of the side being home produced. The Rangers support have NEVER been patient with youngsters, there's an initial honeymoon period of half-a-dozen games, then it's inevitably, "not Rangers class". I offer Charlie Adam, first season and he scores 15 goals from left midfield, and he is subjected to uncalled for abuse.

Of course, the jump requires more than support from Bears on the terraces. Off field support, living the right life, proper advice from Agent(s), physical development, and graduated level of opposition. These lasst two can be achieved by farming out, it's not new; in days past the Juniors were utilised for these reasons. Further, Rangers have farmed out these last 20 years, John Spencer had a season at Morton.

The last thing I will say, is that Rangers do not have a Youth Academy at Murray Park. Six pitches, two hal pitches, and three/four dressing rooms do not compose a Youth Academy. If you visit Ajax, then you will see a Youth Academy, 20 pitches, 30 full time Coaches, a dozen dressing rooms for each age category, ........etc.

We do what we do, and in terms of the first priority, it's comparitively successful.

Good post mate, I totally agree about the patience shown to the young players, even when CA is leaving he is still abused, uncalled for IMO.

I remember Bobby Russell, was it Shettleston Juniors?

Yep,

Rangers signed Bobby Russell from Shettleston Juniors for �£2,000.

The mid to late seventies was probably the last period that senior clubs regularly utilised local Juniors for the purposes of toughening up promising youngsters.

Yep,

Rangers signed Bobby Russell from Shettleston Juniors for �£2,000.

The mid to late seventies was probably the last period that senior clubs regularly utilised local Juniors for the purposes of toughening up promising youngsters.

If i remember right Russell was 22 when he came up from the juniors a real late bloom.