Robert Fleck: My nephew John is a little devil when he gets on to the pitch for Rangers

Feb 8 2009 Exlusive by Mark Guidi

JOHN FLECK comes across as a typical Glasgow teen. A gallus wee guy.

Loves his football and enjoys a night out with his pals. But life is no longer ordinary for him and is unlikely to be for many years.

At 17, he has taken Scottish football by storm and lit up a Rangers team whose championship chances appeared to be over a month ago.

Fleck has helped fire Walter Smith's men back in to contention and Gers are breathing down Celtic's neck as they gear up for next weekend's Old Firm clash at Parkhead.

The attacking midfielder is enjoying life in the top team at Ibrox and his family are proud of the way he has handled the limelight.

Uncle Robert used to play for Rangers and enjoyed a fine career in England with Norwich, Chelsea and Scotland.

He's delighted to see his nephew doing so well and claims the kid is nothing like the image he portrays on the pitch.

Robert told Mail Sport: "John is a positive and confident person when he has a football jersey on and is doing what he loves best.

"Away from football he is a quiet boy. But he's a little devil when he gets on the pitch.

"Boys of his age feel no pressure, regardless of the club they play for or the size of the crowds. The pressure comes with what can happen off the park.

"Rangers are huge and everyone wants to know what's going on at the club and what the players are up to."

Fleck has already made front-page headlines after being spotted in a nightclub. And his uncle knows life in the Old Firmgoldfish bowl can be tough at times.

He said: "I know from experience it can swallow you up if you let it get to you.

"There can be distractions for teenagers with alcohol and girls but you need to make the right decisions, have the right people around you.

"John has that in his home life and at Rangers as he is surrounded by good people in Walter Smith, Ally McCoist, Kenny McDowall, Ian Durrant and Barry Ferguson.

"John is a lucky boy but he has been dedicated.

"You don't get to play for Rangers at 17 unless you have made sacrifices and made correct decisions.

"John appears to have taken it all in his stride - he looks mentally and physically capable of playing for Rangers.

"He has made the whole family very proud."

Those last two words are most associated with Sir Alex Ferguson and the Manchester United boss has received glowing reports about young John.

David Beckham also joined the Fleck fan club after playing against him in last week's friendly between Gers and AC Milan at Ibrox. And Robert is pleased his nephew has made them sit up and take notice.

He said: "When you have people like Sir Alex keeping an eye on his progress and David Beckham paying compliments then that's great.

"Rangers deserve tremendous credit for bringing John through.

"They have made him feel welcome and I know he gets good advice from everyone.

"He never phones me for advice but I'm always there if he needs a blether about anything.

"Mind you, I doubt he'd listen to me if I offered any pointers!"

Robert has been away from Ibrox for 22 years and has now settled in Norfolk.

John never got to see his uncle play for Gers but Robert joked: "Chances are he wouldn't have been at Ibrox anyway.

"Most of our family are Partick Thistle supporters and John would have been playing most weekends."

The youngster has taken everything in his stride since breaking in to the team and netted a crucial first goal against Dundee United last week.

But his uncle reckons the hard work has just started.

He said: "John's name is being mentioned everywhere - from having the bottle to take the penalty against United to his man of the match awards.

"But he has to work harder than ever and keep improving.

"John has to make sure he's still the name they are talking about when he is 25.

"He must keep impressing his gaffer and team-mates. They must also keep on at him and not let him get carried away.

"I can't see John getting too big for his boots. His parents wouldn't allow it and neither would my mum."

Good read, all the sounds are that he'll keep his feet on the ground. Also thought there were other EPL clubs keeping an eye on him than just Manu.

Could you not find a smaller font. :flipa:

Agree was a godo read. Quite agree with Fleck's (senior I guess) points about keeping his feet on the ground and keep improving. I don't suppose he will, but he can't stop striving to improve now that he's in the first team squad.