Burley eyes Fleck for Dutch clash

Guest Jum Spence

Wish Burley would GTF and take the Tartan army t@igs with him.

Someone should tell him that Derek Johnstone made his debut for the Gers in 1970 cup final versus the Septic Scum and scored at the tender age of 16

Even at that age he could have been capped as central defender or striker

Scotland dont need a prick of a manager who insults Rangers players.

'Tartan army ****s'? What the hell are you talking about?

I'm a proud Rangers and Scotland supporter. Our players have down the years formed the backbone of Scotland sides -Greig, Baxter, Cooper where do I start?

How has Burley insulted young Fleck? By suggesting he may be a bit young? In fact he was quoted as saying if you're good enough, you're old enough.

By all means criticise Burley but running down the concept of our national team is disloyal at best and sectarian at worst. I couldn't care less if our national side consisted of 11 C****c players -when they pull on a dark blue jersey they are Scottish players. Full stop.

I'm a proud Rangers and Scotland supporter. Our players have down the years formed the backbone of Scotland sides -Greig, Baxter, Cooper where do I start?

How has Burley insulted young Fleck? By suggesting he may be a bit young? In fact he was quoted as saying if you're good enough, you're old enough.

By all means criticise Burley but running down the concept of our national team is disloyal at best and sectarian at worst. I couldn't care less if our national side consisted of 11 C****c players -when they pull on a dark blue jersey they are Scottish players. Full stop.

Even probably 12 months ago I would have agreed with the last line, now I don't know that I can.

Will explain more another time.

WILLIE HENDERSON still remembers it as one of the greatest days of his career.

Becoming the youngest-ever Rangers player selected by Scotland was a special honour.

To cap it off with a wonderful winner simply added to the 18-year-old’s sense of thrill.

Almost 50 years on Henderson can still recall every moment of his historic international debut in the 3-2 win over Wales.

But the Ibrox icon insists he’d love John Fleck to smash BOTH records next month.

George Burley is ready to fast-track Fleck into the Scotland senior side for the World Cup crunch in Holland.

At 17, he’d be the second-youngest Scotland debutant of all-time if he stars in Amsterdam on March 28.

Gers legend Henderson said: “I remember everything about my debut, even though it was 1962.

“It was a great honour for me and for my family.

“The huge thing was that I scored and we won 3-2.

“It is still up there with the best days of my career.

“But if John goes on to play for Scotland next month, it would be a fantastic honour for him.

“I would be thrilled for him if he beats my record. Nobody would be more pleased than me if that scenario happens.”

Henderson was just 18 years 270 days when he played against the Welsh at Ninian Park in 1962.

Fleck would beat that record by more than a year if he’s capped in the Group Nine crunch.

Only John Lambie of Queen’s Park, who made his debut at 17 years and 92 days in 1886, would be younger.

But Henderson reckons Fleck could handle the pressure of being thrown in against the Dutch.

He said: “It would be a massive honour for John to play for his country.

“To go down that road at such a young age would be fantastic for him.

“It is building up to a huge time in the boy’s life and he has to be looked after.

“It’s a lot to take on board for a boy of 17. Luckily, he has Walter Smith and Ally McCoist to help him.

Advertisement

“In my day, I had my parents for help and advice and Bobby Shearer was a huge influence in the dressing room.

“But you can only be advised so much to look after yourself and watch what you are doing.

“A lot of it is down to yourself, but John seems a level-headed boy.”

Fleck has burst on to the first-team scene since the New Year.

Henderson watched his full debut in the 3-1 win over Falkirk and saw his first goal in the 2-0 triumph over Dundee United.

And he insists the superkid will have no fear if he’s thrown into a Scotland shirt by boss Burley.

He added: “I saw John for the first time in the Falkirk game. He played well in that match and also against Dundee United.

“Bringing him into the Rangers team has been a great experience for the lad. Taking him into the Scotland squad would be just as good for him. Speaking from personal experience, I didn’t have any fear about playing for Scotland at such a young age.

“You don’t see any fear, you only think about what is in front of you.

“He looks a confident young boy and that will be a huge help to him.

“He will have to go through a lot if he’s capped for Scotland at 17. But it’s obvious the football side isn’t going to be a problem for him.”

Fleck would be the third teenage wing king to emerge from Ibrox and be capped by Scotland. Willie Johnston followed in Henderson footsteps and won his first cap in 1965 at the age of 18.

Henderson said: “The Rangers fans take to anyone who can play, and it certainly looks like John can play. You should never under-estimate the opinions of supporters.

“I think and hope that they can see some rewards from Murray Park.

“There has been a bit of money spent on it over the years.

“But Alan Hutton was sold for a lot of money — and now another great boy has come through. It’s great to see home-grown talent in the team and John is the type of player who excites the fans.

“They have to pay a lot of money to watch football these days. It’s nice for them to see quality like John.

“There has been a lot of talk about money problems at Ibrox recently.

“But the scenario could work out well with no players leaving Rangers last month and now John coming through.”

Guest bigbear

I'm a proud Rangers and Scotland supporter. Our players have down the years formed the backbone of Scotland sides -Greg, Baxter, Cooper where do I start?

Where in my post did i state Burley insulted Fleck?

The players he did insult were Broadfoot(limited ability)and Boyd (put on a rookie instead of a proven striker)

I have no wish to insult you(but i am tempted).

If you wish to watch our national team among a bunch of "fans" dressed in "Made in Taiwan Kilts" and Timberland boots,booing our captain Barry its your choice.

:rfc: I was chosen, i did not choose:rfc:

[QUOTE=bigbear;136451]Where in my post did i state Burley insulted Fleck?

So just because Burley insulted Kirk and Boyd he has no right to comment on Fleck - even if he's right?

If you wish to watch our national team among a bunch of "fans" dressed in "Made in Taiwan Kilts" and Timberland boots,booing our captain Barry its your choice.

Any Scotland supporter who boos along club lines is no true supporter IMO. - whatever the club.

Edited by alexscottislegend
mistakes

Guest bigbear
[QUOTE=bigbear;136451]Where in my post did i state Burley insulted Fleck?

So just because Burley insulted Kirk and Boyd he has no right to comment on Fleck - even if he's right?

Any Scotland supporter who boos along club lines is no true supporter IMO. - whatever the club.

In your opinion Burnley is right?

IMHO he is an arsehole.

I am :rfc: The Mighty Rangers :rfc: thro and thro, no time for T@igs and plastic paddies

You would watch Scotland with a full team of Septic players?

Go away before I get angry yah Tim lover

In your opinion Burnley is right?

IMHO he is an arsehole.

I am :rfc: The Mighty Rangers :rfc: thro and thro, no time for T@igs and plastic paddies

You would watch Scotland with a full team of Septic players?

Go away before I get angry yah Tim lover

Scotland dont play in green and grey..... when the NATIONAL team are playing they represent Scotland, not Celtic even if the starting XI are all Tims.

I cant believe that anyone would think that way, but each to their own I guess.

Ohhhh, and just because someone supports the national team no matter which club the players play for it doesnt make them a Tim lover.

Good for you that you are Rangers through and through - however, that doesnt make you any more or less of a Rangers supporter than those who support the national team.

I couldn't care less if our national side consisted of 11 C****c players -when they pull on a dark blue jersey they are Scottish players. Full stop.

It certainly wouldn't surprise me to see Burley put out a team consisting of 9/10 C****c players, since it's not been far off that already in some games since Burley took over. weepopey.gif