By Andrew Dickson

SASA PAPAC has played down the importance of winning Sunday's Old Firm fixture and insists Rangers can win the league whatever the result.

The Light Blues go into their clash with Celtic trailing Gordon Strachan's team by two points in the SPL table.

Sasa PapacClaiming a derby victory wouldn't only send Gers top of the pile - it would also give them a huge psychological boost with three months of the season remaining.

But even if Walter Smith's men lose and fall further behind their rivals, Papac is adamant it won't spell the end of their title hopes.

With 13 rounds of fixtures to follow the derby, the Bosnian feels there will still be plenty of opportunities to climb to the summit.

He said: "It is important we put Celtic under pressure and that we win as many games as we possibly can.

"It would be great to get a victory again this weekend like we did when we last went to Parkhead in August.

"But this match is just one of 14 we still have to play and there are many points still up for grabs.

"We just need to concentrate as the end of the season is still some way away and a lot can happen as both sides have dropped points.

"We have both beaten each other in the derby this season and lost to other teams in the championship too.

"I won the league when I was at Austria Vienna and my dream now is to lift the SPL trophy here for Rangers.

"It would be the best moment of my career. We will need a lot of points to do it but I feel confident we can get enough, regardless of what happens on Sunday."

"It would be the best moment of my career."

For someone who has already won league title(s) elsewhere that's good to hear.

He's saying the right things. If his feelings are genuine though and matched by his team mates they should have the mentality to match to the top of the league as we definitely have the quality within our ranks.

Guest FollowThe People

Let's just pray he doesn't produce another nice little cushoined lay off for Samaris to tap into the empty net or if he decides to head the ball into his own goal whilst attempting to defend a corner, that Steven Davis is handily placed to head it off the goal line like happened the last time we visitied the Piggery.

We can but hope.

Guest FollowThe People
Sasa Papac, now there's a man who deserved a league winner's medal last season. Don't think there'll be any shortage of motivation on his part.

You don't?

I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen him shite out of a tackle, and when he does decide to do it it's usually to pull down an opponent who's just ran past him usually inducing a Yellow or Red card.

In my expereince the eyeball to eyeball tackle is not for him, but I guess we all see it differently.

I think Papac has been an excellent player for us all round. Ok, he makes the odd mistake, but very few players don't. He also seems to give the ball away needlessly less than a lot of our players do & links up really well in attacking moves down the left. All round I rate him quite highly. Definitely gets a 7 or 8 out of 10 as a player imo.

He's not a blood and thunder type of player though. And neither is he a shrinking violet from what I can see. He's had a couple of shaky games in the last few weeks - St Johnstone springs to mind - but show me a more consistent player at the club these past two years, other than Kevin Thomson. The incident you mention at Parkhead for Samaras' goal was the first mistake I can remember him making for rather a long time.

Players with far more natural ability than Papac have flopped at Ibrox through lack of application. You don't have to like Papac as a player, but no Rangers fan should question his commitment to the cause.

I think he's fundamentally wrong in any case. It may be de rigueur these days amongst media savvy footballers to understate the importance of winning or losing specific games but the match this weekend probably is make or break.

None of us is clairevoyant but if we win then I think it's likely we'll go on and take the title. Lose and we probably won't.