The slating of walter smith and the team!

What is it with online forums that anyone who is critical of the club in any way is compared to a "tim"?

Yes, I find that too and it's such a cheap shot. I tend to think of it as the last refuge of the halfwit but I never say this in case I'm accused of being a tague.:)

Actually, don't you just hate the word "Tim" or "Timothy". What is this, some cute little term of endearment? Something for the fainthearted to cope with, something acceptable on an internet forum?

But is that not being contradictory ? An appalling loss in Europe is down to the manager whilst a league win is down to the players ? Is that a fair statement ?

Smith played McCulloch, Dailly and Adam in midfield in Kaunas.

Smith played for the draw.

Smith said he could "see it coming".

The players on the park didn't do the business, but Walter Smith was the architect of Kaunas. No amount of '9IAR this, Manchester that' changes that. If I had delivered such a shocking result at my work there's at least a reasonable chance I'd get the bullet. What gets my goat is that after Kaunas Murray didn't come out and warn Smith that it was unacceptable or even say that he'd give Smith a couple of months to turn it around. Oh no, after the single worst result in Ranger's history he gave his old mate his full backing. What the f*ck kind of message is that? Words cannot describe how much I despise this "ah but Manchester...earned a second chance..." attitude.

Well yes, of course he's pish. I was just trying to string this out a bit now that the very last Kris Boyd thread has stalled. ;)

Hehe, glad you didnt take me too literally.

I didnt think he was that good at Hibs as an RB when I watched him play but I readily admit that I havent seen too much of him.

I dont like his positional sense and he sometimes tries to do too much and could put us in danger.

Not a bad player though but Broadfoot has made the position his own. :eek:

Hehe, glad you didnt take me too literally.

I didnt think he was that good at Hibs as an RB when I watched him play but I readily admit that I havent seen too much of him.

I dont like his positional sense and he sometimes tries to do too much and could put us in danger.

Not a bad player though but Broadfoot has made the position his own. :eek:

The truth is he's a bottler. Seen too many like him pass through in lean years. He'll make nothing of it at Rangers, should be let go at the first opportunity.

Actually, don't you just hate the word "Tim" or "Timothy". What is this, some cute little term of endearment? Something for the fainthearted to cope with, something acceptable on an internet forum?

What I hate more is the freedom with which a word deemed sectarian in a court of law - "hun" - can be used "without fear or favour" by Rangers-haters while we fall over ourselves trying not to offend them. It's kafkaesque.

Smith played McCulloch, Dailly and Adam in midfield in Kaunas.

Smith played for the draw.

Smith said he could "see it coming".

The players on the park didn't do the business, but Walter Smith was the architect of Kaunas. No amount of '9IAR this, Manchester that' changes that. If I had delivered such a shocking result at my work there's at least a reasonable chance I'd get the bullet. What gets my goat is that after Kaunas Murray didn't come out and warn Smith that it was unacceptable or even say that he'd give Smith a couple of months to turn it around. Oh no, after the single worst result in Ranger's history he gave his old mate his full backing. What the f*ck kind of message is that? Words cannot describe how much I despise this "ah but Manchester...earned a second chance..." attitude.

I am not a "lets give him endless credit due to Manchester, 9IAR etc etc" - would rather judge someone on what they are doing now.

Was Kaunas worse than Berwick Rangers ? Not being facetious, genuinely interested if people think so.

If WS was the architect of Kaunas due to his team selection, formation and tactics would it not stand to reason that a league title win makes him the architect too as it will be down to his team selection, formation and tactics ?

IF we win the league by a point could we not also say "Smith played for a draw against Celtic at Parkhead" and therefore suggest we won the league thanks to Smith playing for the draw that day ? A league campaign is not the same as a UEFA campaing but you see what I am getting at ?

There is much in the musings of WS that I disagree with (see the other thread about how he sheds the Tims (sorry MF) in a positive light).

Manchester is now history, but so too is Kaunas - we can argue over the semantics of one being last season, one this season as long as we like but they are both in the history books.

I was very disappointed too that he played for a draw in Manchester - just getting to the final should have been enough to say "screw it, lets go out and be an attacking team and try to win this". That is not acceptable for me either.

Thankfully I didnt have to witness the Kaunas game as I was on a flight back home at the time. I did arrive at the rental car company just in time to hear Kaunas score the winner - bassas !!

What I hate more is the freedom with which a word deemed sectarian in a court of law - "hun" - can be used "without fear or favour" by Rangers-haters while we fall over ourselves trying not to offend them. It's kafkaesque.

I really don't mind them calling me a hun. So what. I think the huns were a damned fine and much misunderstood bunch of blokes. Perhaps not too keen on deodorant but hey, you can't have everything.

What I really find kafkaesque is not being allowed to call them feenyans. I find the censorship and the simulated offence to be the real nightmare.

Was Kaunas worse than Berwick Rangers ? Not being facetious, genuinely interested if people think so.

Not being among the more creaky-kneed on here, I was not around when Berwick happened. What I will say is that I would FAR rather go through a Berwick Rangers than a Kaunas - of that there is not a doubt.

If WS was the architect of Kaunas due to his team selection, formation and tactics would it not stand to reason that a league title win makes him the architect too as it will be down to his team selection, formation and tactics ?

It will remain a title won in spite of Smith IMO, but yes, to an extent what you say has some truth in it and I see what you're saying about playing for a draw against Aberdeen and Celtic - even if it's something which I think Smith should be slapped about the face with a trout for.

Of course we'll wait and see if we really can win this league. If May brings us 4 in a row, I can guarantee that a hell of a lot of the Walter defenders will jump ship, leaving behind only the blind loyalists.

It's probably clear from my posts on here that I resent the fact he's still here after Kaunas. It does anger me the "business as usual" attitude between Murray and Smith post-Kaunas, when it was the starkest wake-up call for change imaginable.