The slating of walter smith and the team!

Pretty balanced piece there Craig and I largely agree with all that you have said.

He has indeed been Good and Bad but we are in a better position than under PLG (who thinks given time he could have turned us around)

Utter tosh ??,in your opinion. I happen to think the man has a lot to answer for the waste of money on his signings,TOO LATE, this season and why he continually picks players and plays them out of position, McCulloch ?.What he achieved last season was very short of our best ever season,granted.And if he feels it is right to have a go at the Rangers fans,then I'm sure he is wise enough to expect a bit of criticism when things don't go his way.If you are happy with what Walter has done then fine, some of us are not.Is he the man to take us forward ?, no IMO.FWIW I have not been on here and slagged him off, he just baffles me,and others with some of his decisions and can understand why he gets slated when it doesn't pay off. Not everyone thinks the same, but we are entitled to our opinion as you are

I did agree that Walter deserves some criticism but you implied ALL criticism on here was deserved and constructive - that's the bit that I think is tosh and gave a couple of examples of how he is sometimes criticised for things that haven't even happened, which by definition cannot be deserved or constructive.

There are sometimes opinions and sometimes facts, and I think I'm entitled to rubbish anyone's opinion if it is so obviously factually incorrect and gives a very false impression.

If you look back you'll see I asked you specific questions to answer to prove your point and you have not chosen to do so.

For me, I think you are only allowed an opinion if you can back it up with evidence and reason, otherwise it's just rhetoric rather than a real opinion.

I think it's obvious that there is a huge amount of criticism of Walter on here that is neither deserved nor constructive and to say otherwise needs a lot of explaining.

The same goes for SDM - who is someone that I've been a huge critic of.

However, it seems they can do no right in some people's eyes despite plenty of evidence to the contrary. There is a vendetta against both of them and people like yourself seem to be getting carried along with it without stopping to think whether it's at all valid or even appropriate.

Is there any evidence that adopting a thoroughly balanced standpoint, acknowledging in equal measure the pro's and cons of every individual or circumstance, produces one iota of advantage? Personally, I've never seen it, although I suppose it may make the critic feel more politically secure. Neither have I ever seen anything achieved by the passivity endorsed by some in this thread.

We generally all agree that Murray is leading the club nowhere but down and that Smith is not here to lead us upwards to where we'd all like to see the club. That being the case, in my world you push against it until something gives in the direction you wish to go. You do not sit and indulge in infinite and circular cogitation about the philosophical merits of the situation, which is where much of this forum seems to spend its time.

Let's be "fair" in our attitude towards Murray and let's give a "fair" hearing to Smith - give me fukking strength gentlemen.:mad:

Is there any evidence that adopting a thoroughly balanced standpoint, acknowledging in equal measure the pro's and cons of every individual or circumstance, produces one iota of advantage? Personally, I've never seen it, although I suppose it may make the critic feel more politically secure. Neither have I ever seen anything achieved by the passivity endorsed by some in this thread.

mate, your response is equally as passive is anyone else's on this thread - it amounts to nothing more than words. different words, but still just words. the reason people look at both sides is because there are two sides to look at. do you think you are somehow alleviated from the philosophical round of forum discussion? yours is the token most-negative-assessment every philosophical discussion needs. i'm glad we have it, but lets not pretend your playing a more serious game than the rest of us.

Edited by bmck

Just to throw a firework into the bonfire, anyone else feel that fan pressure had a bit to do in Uncle Smith's decision to bring Fleck into the team....:whistle:

i think it has, aye - showing that good come from fan pressure.

Utter Tosh, explain then how he was completely slated for blowing the chance to go top of the league against Killie - not only before the game but also during it?

He was condemned for having no bottle and yet we actually won the game. I didn't see all those who slated him queuing up to apologise afterwards.

So do explain, how that was in any way constructive and deserved...

Even in the transfer RUMOURS, he gets slated for signing players that he hasn't done and many never do so.

Walter Smith deserves some criticism for quite a few things, but there is very little on here that is constructive or deserved for a manager who, with a level playing field would have had us winning the treble last season and who is again on top of the league, in one final and the other semi-final.

If PLG had achieved those same results we'd be treating him as some kind of messiah and be blaming the Tims and SPL for totally robbing us of the treble.

But in these screwed up times, we back the SPL, back the Tims and slate our reasonably successful manager at every opportunity instead.

Is that aimed at me?

Seeing as I brought into question the team's bottle.

From the match thread:

Another chance to go top. Another game leaving me questioning out bottle.

Big questions to be answered today!!!

It was the players bottle I was questioning in that instance (the questioning of the managers bottle came elsewhere in reference to the negative approach against an out of sorts Celtic).

We have repeatedly over the last 3 years had the chance to go top or pressure Celtic, and consistently thrown those chances away. Going1-0 downa t home to Killie after 20 mins I think I was quite right to ask if we had the bottle.

The following day I wrote a piece suggestinng the team were finally answering those questions. The comments in the killie match thread were about the players not the management team in any case. And I maintain the approach to the Old Firm match lacked bottle, a winning mentality or a killer instinct. The fact that it has worked out well for us now, does not alter the fact it could have been better (or admittedly worse).

We are lucky that Celtic are in freefall. That is why we are top of the league.

In Fact Rangers are the only team that has failed to score against them (twice) in their last ten games.

I dont like walter Smith as Rangers manager. I dont like his tactics or his missuse of our squad.

I expect Rangers to try and beat every team they play in the SPL. Our manager tries not to lose.

Win or lose the league this season I still want him to leave. the damage hes done with his missmanagment is going to leave a scar on our club for a very long time.

mate, your response is equally as passive is anyone else's on this thread - it amounts to nothing more than words. different words, but still just words. the reason people look at both sides is because there are two sides to look at. do you think you are somehow alleviated from the philosophical round of forum discussion? yours is the token most-negative-assessment every philosophical discussion needs. i'm glad we have it, but lets not pretend your playing a more serious game than the rest of us.

Emm ..... and you point is? While I'm delighted you've cleared up that posts are about words, I haven't a clue what you're trying to say. Perhaps it's just noise, eh?:)

Edited by maineflyer