Andrew Dickson reports from New Douglas Park

RANGERS manager Walter Smith has made two changes to his team for this afternoon's crucial SPL clash with Hamilton Accies.

Following the news we brought you earlier today which revealed Pedro Mendes is out, Mo Edu comes in to take his place in central midfield alongside Barry Ferguson.

Kyle Lafferty also starts and he replaces John Fleck on the left side of midfield, with Steven Davis taking up his usual place on the right flank.

It's the usual back five with Allan McGregor in goals and a defensive line of Kirk Broadfoot, David Weir, Madjid Bougherra and Sasa Papac.

Following their three-goal show against Kilmarnock seven days ago, it's no surprise that Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd are retained up front.

Boyd in particular will be keen to find the net again today, having already done so against Hamilton on six occasions this term.

DaMarcus Beasley is amongst the substitutes and returns to the squad after he had to come off against Forfar 10 days ago.

With Gers kicking off at 12.30pm, this is a great opportunity for them to increase their lead at the top of the SPL before Celtic play St Mirren at 3pm.

The Light Blues have a 100% record in three games with Billy Reid's Accies this season but will be wary after initially falling behind in two of them.

RANGERS: McGregor; Broadfoot, Weir, Bougherra, Papac; Davis, Edu, Ferguson, Lafferty; Miller, Boyd.

Subs: Alexander, Aaron, Beasley, Fleck, Dailly, Naismith, Whittaker

I am astounded that he went with Edu and Lafferty in those positions. I would have much preferred to move Davis in one, Aaron or Naismith out right and Fleck on the left, or even Beasley.

Baffling IMO.

I am astounded that he went with Edu and Lafferty in those positions. I would have much preferred to move Davis in one, Aaron or Naismith out right and Fleck on the left, or even Beasley.

Baffling IMO.

With Mendes out I would alter my team from the preview to:

Aaron Ferguson Davis Naismith

I don't have such a problem with Edu playing. I think we could end up getting bullied if we playred 2 out of Naismith, Fleck, Aaron and Beasley wide.

He'll need to show a lot more than he's done to date. Few opportunities so far but to be honest, he's been woeful every time he's stepped on to the grass up until now. I've yet to see what the fuss was about.

Best song in the whole squad though.

Edited by maineflyer

He'll need to show a lot more than he's done to date. Few opportunities so far but to be honest, he's been woeful every time he's stepped on to the grass up until now. I've yet to see what the fuss was about.

Best song in the whole squad though.

Whilst it was only a friendly he looked outstanding against Milan. If he can replicate that again then we won't have a problem.

Big "if" though.