Niguez anxious to be on the ball

SPANISH kid Aaron Niguez wants to play a part in the title run-in as he hopes to deliver silverware for the Ibrox club.

The 19-year-old has only made three substitute appearances for Walter Smith's side since joining on a two-year load deal from the La Liga outfit, Valencia.

In his last outing, the little attacker scored his first goal for the club in a 4-0 victory over Forfar in the Scottish Cup, and he is now looking to play his part as his team-mates attempt to close in on all three domestic trophies.

He said: "I am very settled in Scotland and even happier now that I have played for the first-team and scored a goal against Forfar.

advertisement

"That, of course, was very special for me, one of the best moments in my life.

"When I went out on to the pitch that night, I listened and could hear the fans shouting my name, that made me very happy. It was a great feeling to score as you could see from my celebration. I knew I would get a yellow card for taking my top off but I was so excited.

"The goal was for my family back home and for the fans who have been so kind to me and made the move to Rangers so special. I love being at this club and, hopefully, I can now stay in the manager's plans and help my team-mates who have also been great."

Aaron admits it has taken him some time to get up to speed with the Scottish game but feels is his ready to play a part in the coming weeks.

Speaking in the Rangers News, he said: "The game here is very fast and different from Spain.

"However, I have now been here six months, and when I am on the bench I watch the game so that I know what to expect if I go on.

"I am an attacking player, and when I play I always try to create chances for my team-mates. That is what the manager asks of me but I am also aware of my defensive duties."

I would think that trying to keep as many individuals as possible in a big squad match fit, happy, confident and motivated while also trying to bring in youngsters, all without duly affecting the results, is a pretty difficult juggling act.

To be honest, I think it's an area where WS is not too bad while PLG completely failed there and Burley has already made big mistakes.

I think it's something that Stachan seems to be struggling with at the moment too.

I would think that trying to keep as many individuals as possible in a big squad match fit, happy, confident and motivated while also trying to bring in youngsters, all without duly affecting the results, is a pretty difficult juggling act.

To be honest, I think it's an area where WS is not too bad while PLG completely failed there and Burley has already made big mistakes.

I think it's something that Stachan seems to be struggling with at the moment too.

Fair point, I just always feel we should make the opposition worry about Rangers players, rather than the other way around,by bringing on Aaron/Fleck on Saturday would have done that IMO

This what baffled me about Saturday,why WS brought on Whittaker instead of Aaron!!!!

When it happened I was thinking WTF? Then I realized that WS was playing it safe by putting SW out there on the left, since he's a defender that can play in that LM position, so I thought, right fair enough. The thing is though... we spent most of the rest of the game attacking them, so arguably Aaron or Fleck would have been a better option anyway... Hard to say, but he maybe made the right decision going with SW from an experience POV in a situation where he wanted to strengthen midfield defensively rather than in an attacking sense.

When it happened I was thinking WTF? Then I realized that WS was playing it safe by putting SW out there on the left, since he's a defender that can play in that LM position, so I thought, right fair enough. The thing is though... we spent most of the rest of the game attacking them, so arguably Aaron or Fleck would have been a better option anyway... Hard to say, but he maybe made the right decision going with SW from an experience POV in a situation where he wanted to strengthen midfield defensively rather than in an attacking sense.

I was thinking exactly the same thing and wasn't surprised or disappointed to see SW brought on at that stage of the game. We were defending a 1-0 advantage and SW defensive qualities are better than Aaron's or Fleck's (and he has more experience)...

We did spend the rest of the game attacking Hamilton, but in theory had enough attack minded players on the pitch at that time to capitalise on these breaks. In fact, if Boyd's final pass to Davis late in the game and been better placed / hit then we would have probably killed the game off with that break.

Cammy F