by Thomas Jordan

Kaunas (a), August 5 2008

Rangers headed to Lithuania on the back of a 0-0 draw at Ibrox but, despite taking the lead, they crashed to a 2-1 defeat in the dying minutes of the game.

In the financial terms, the Ibrox club have failed to recover. The �£10m cost of the exit will come back to haunt them in the summer when a leading player is expected to be sold to balance the books.

It was a dreadful display from the Rangers players involved and immediately put everyone in a position of power at the club under immense pressure before the domestic campaign had even got off and running.

advertisement

St Mirren (a), October 5 2008

It was not only their first league defeat at the season but also their first defeat at Love Street in 22 years as St Mirren recorded a shock 1-0 win.

Rangers travelled to Paisley with the full length of the SPL table separating the clubs, but a lack of cutting edge in the final third was Rangers' problem.

Despite just about having all of the play, the visitors couldn't find a way to open the scoring yet, at the other end of the field, substitute Stephen McGinn netted 12 minutes from time with his team's only purposeful attack of the second-half.

Dundee United (h), November 4 2008

Rangers surrendered their place as leaders on goal difference by slipping up at home in the league for the first time in the campaign.

Indeed, the Ibrox men ended up requiring an injury-time goal from Kevin Thomson to rescue a point in thrilling 3-3 draw.

After taking the lead through Steven Davis, United fought back to storm ahead before Sasa Papac levelled the scoreline. The visitors once again took the lead before Thomson's late equaliser.

It wasn't, however, to take them back the top of the table as they slipped two points behind Old Firm rivals Celtic.

Aberdeen (a), January 24 2009

With leaders Celtic not playing until later in the day, Rangers were handed a chance to take over top spot for a few hours by beating Aberdeen at Pittodrie.

Smith adopted a cautious approach as striker Kris Boyd was left on the bench. Rangers started with just one in attack and Lee McCulloch coming in to occupy a holding midfield role in a 4-5-1 formation.

But, despite once again dominating the game for long spells and carving out enough chances to win the game, the visitors had to settle for 0-0.

Celtic (a), February 15 2009

Rangers crossed the city to Parkhead in the knowledge that victory would see them leapfrog Celtic into top spot.

Once again, Boyd was left on the bench as Rangers went with a similar line-up that drew 0-0 at Pittodrie but with Kyle Lafferty taking over from Kenny Miller as lone striker.

In one of the poorest meetings between the two clubs in some time, there was nothing to separate the clubs on the day. It was a missed opportunity for Rangers avoiding defeat at least kept them in the title hunt.

Caley Thistle (h), March 4 2009

Back at the top of the table and seemingly enjoying a new lease of life, disaster struck at a most unlikely time.

Despite dominating for long spells, there was little in the way of clear-cut chances created and, against the run of play, the visitors won an injury-time penalty after a mistake by Davie Weir. Black secured an surprise 1-0 win for his team.

It allowed Celtic, who defeated Kilmarnock 2-1 away form home, to move top on their own right again with a two-point advantage.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/display.var.2493865.0.0.php

But don't dare criticise Walter.

No offence meant, but please give it a rest. The discussions about WS failings have apreared on numerous threads already. Do we need to read the same thing time and time again?

As I said, no offence as I know a lot of people agree with you.

If not a suitable post, Admin/Mods, please delete

No offence meant, but please give it a rest. The discussions about WS failings have apreared on numerous threads already. Do we need to read the same thing time and time again?

I am afraid most threads will have some discussion on Walter Jon as he makes the decisions.I think you are the boy with his finger in the dike on this one.

None taken. The fact is, with the exception of the Dundee Utd game where we at least had a go and lost a couple of goals due to defensive errors, the games mentioned represent classic Smith point-dropping.

In Kaunas, Smith played Dailly, McCulloch and Adam across the middle and attempted to see out a 1-1 draw.

St Mirren was a game where we created a number of good chances, unfortunately Boyd only came on with 20 minutes remaining having been dropped for an off-form and thoroughly ineffective Darcheville.

Aberdeen away was an absolute disgrace. One up front and playing for the draw against any SPL side, let alone a non-OF outfit, is unacceptable from a Rangers manager. Boyd again sacrificed for a woeful Miller. And to rub it in the home side had an off day that day.

For Celtic away, see above. A complete lack of ambition against a Celtic side on the ropes and there for the taking. Massive opportunity missed in a crucial season. Eck's sides created more chances during the dark days of 7-in-a-row. We Deserve Better indeed.

And as for Inverness, that's what happens when you retain a manager years past his sell-by date.

You may be getting sick of the Smith arguments, but it's one of the most pertinent debates to Rangers' present and future.

No problem guys....

I was always a defender of WS but even that backing is severely waning. While at the club though I'll always try to support him. At times and quite a few of them thats becoming increasingly more difficult.

I think what Jon's tired of, is the constant sarcastic Walter sniping. It's tedious, unnecessary and lowers the level of debate.

Just what does, "But don't dare criticise Walter" mean and what are you trying to achieve by it? It has absolutely NO relevance to any post or debate on here as no-one has ever asserted that sentiment.

I really wish we could get back to proper, reasoned, open debate that made this site stand out from the crowd.

I think what Jon's tired of, is the constant sarcastic Walter sniping. It's tedious, unnecessary and lowers the level of debate.

Just what does, "But don't dare criticise Walter" mean and what are you trying to achieve by it? It has absolutely NO relevance to any post or debate on here as no-one has ever asserted that sentiment.

I really wish we could get back to proper, reasoned, open debate that made this site stand out from the crowd.

What would encourage open debate is if you would stop accusing people of twisting things, lying, arrogance or being in a cult every time they say something you don't agree with.

Just my opinion of course.

I am afraid most threads will have some discussion on Walter Jon as he makes the decisions.I think you are the boy with his finger in the dike on this one.

Pete, you been making up your own phrases here? :devil:

What does that mean in any case, new one to me.

I do agree with Calscot to a large extent.

Things are not all rosy at the minute. But sometimes I find we get fans speaking together,starting negative conversations and darkening each others mood. Then the opinions continue to spiral down into negativity. Not all of it justified.

Sometimes you need the odd positive post to keep the criticism realistic and reflective of what's actually going on. Instead of having a number of fans having a mutual back slapping exercise at how right they are that they've predicted the apocalypse.