It would genuinely be interesting to know what Bain gets compared to what Ogilvie got. Because only one of them is a chief executive.

Ogilvie's a great Rangers man, but I'm yet to be convinced he makes a great CEO.

Campbell Ogilvie was never CEO at Rangers...?

He was (and was appointed by Hearts initially as) only ever an administrator and while his record stands up well to Bain's in this operational sense, I'm not convinced of his value overall.

I think he's now Managing Director, Frankie, but who knows what that means in the unique Hearts set-up.

Leppardized, I'm sure Bain does a lot of work that most wouldn't appreciate. However he has been paid in excess of �£500K and that's way too much for that position. It seems to me that it's just an ego trip for Murray to be paying that much, but it's our club's money that's funding it.

Hence the word initially in my post... ;)

He was employed as general secretary in 2005 (his position at Rangers) but was them 'promoted' in 2008 to MD...

Certainly if people are being sacked and the club obviously struggling in financial terms, Martin Bain's wage/bonus could face Goodwin style scrutiny this year.