Seeing Boyd seems to be a saleable asset and not exactly popular with the fans, he could be one of them.

MacGregor is another that could bring in money and we have an able replacement for him.

Bougherra is also a commodity that could bring in cash, but the difference with him is that's he's irreplaceable at the moment. I would really prefer to try and raise cash from the above two players than our top central defender. If we win the league and automatically qualify for the CL group stage then we should be able to keep him while finding a decent partner for him. He was one of Walter's "untouchables" and I hope it stays that way.

Other untouchables were Thomson and Mendes and these are the players that I hope Walter is building his team round.

Beasley just doesn't seem to be able to get back in the manager's plans and with Schalke after him, he's got to be a favourite to go.

Dailly and Hemdani will just not have their contracts renewed.

McCulloch is one we could do with getting rid of but finding a buyer to match his wages could prove difficult.

Stevie Smith has been earmarked for a while as he doesn't seem to be able to get back to his pre-injury form.

Webster is a player who just can't stay fit long enough to get a sniff of the first team and it all depends on his contract. He may want the security and level of his Ibrox wage but may also want to get his career off the ground again by moving to a lesser club.

Gow will almost certainly leave as he knows he's not wanted and will probably be keen for a club to give him a contract despite his recent failed medical.

I think we've all been impressed with the solid play of Weir but not many will think he's capable of another crucial season with an unforgiving club like Rangers. I think we WANT him to retire from the club gracefully but whether that will happen is anyone's guess.

One who should probably move on so that we can replace him, is Ferguson. He's a shadow of his former self and as such will never again please the crowd. He's living on past reputation but as he's been found out by SPL teams, he's now a liability.

Not sure about Miller, as the manager obviously likes him, but I bet plenty of fans are hoping the Russian rumours are true.

Edu and Lafferty will be difficult to move without huge losses and as they are still young and developing I can see them staying. Same goes for Davis who has been more of a success.

I think Naismith will be given a chance as he's still young but maybe it's time to cut our losses on Whittaker.

There is no point getting rid of Novo as you know what he brings to the team and can't be on a massive wage.

Broadfoot and Papac are steady enough that they will probably stay.

Not that I'd ever want to be seen coming to Murray's defence, but to what extent is this simply Record shit-stirring? Are Rangers the only company, indeed football club, to have laid off staff in the last few months? Kicking Rangers (again) to sell papers per chance?

Not that I'd ever want to be seen coming to Murray's defence, but to what extent is this simply Record shit-stirring? Are Rangers the only company, indeed football club, to have laid off staff in the last few months? Kicking Rangers (again) to sell papers per chance?

That's a good point Norris. No doubt others have.

I think it's pretty normal for a company that has posted a loss to do something to try and cut costs. The simple inequality is:

Loss <=> money in < money out

So you need more money coming in or less money going out or both.

The reason staff were not laid off in the summer is probably as simple as the fact that we just posted a profit at the time.

The loss is not exactly recent or big news so the reduction of staff should not be a big surprise and cannot really be seen as a portent of impending doom.

Rangers have little chance of going out of business in the same way that Celtic did not go to the wall when they were in a really shit state that was 1000 times worse than ours.

The worse case scenario is that we prioritise balancing the books and reducing the debt over having a competitive team on the pitch and completely lose the ability to compete for the title with Celtic and compete with European teams for a CL place.

Lack of results could mean lower attendances and income creating a vicious circle to mediocrity.

However, we would still be the second biggest club in the country and so be favourites for second in the league and in the early rounds of the UEFA cup.

THAT is our potential doomsday, not the doors closing. Large football clubs with loyal fans make very strong going concerns.

Yeah unless you walk about with a placard saying, "The end of Rangers is nigh" and get stuck into Rangers at every opportunity, you truly are blind. So are most gersnet users blind?

That must be copyright Vicki Pollard :)

Where are these blind people? Not on here anyway - most people here know all about the deficiencies of SDM without having to believe he is the anti-christ.
Actually I think there's only you and your sidekick left in the adoration of the clowns running Rangers.

It's actually pretty arrogant to say people are blind because they don't see things in your incredibly extreme way. Maybe when you can actually demonstrate that you are able understand what people are actually saying, you will be more entitled to judge them and preach your sanctimonious sermon.
Sorry, all I can do is smile at that.:)
Edited by maineflyer

Clearing out some of the excess in our squad has been on the cards for some time and the credit crunch has only made our financial position worse. Another share issue underwritten by Murray International is unlikely as they will no doubt be feeling the pinch the same as everyone else.

If we were not to take some action to reduce costs it would not be outwith the realms of possibility that our club could fold so offering voluntary redundancies would seem to be a sensible move.

But what I would like to see is a symbolic gesture from Martin Bain to take a sizeable pay cut. He has received a hefty wedge in recent years, especially when you include his bonus payments which, although not quite the same as Fred the Shreds remuneration package, have been hugely inflated and undeserved given his pisspoor performance.

Clearing out some of the excess in our squad has been on the cards for some time and the credit crunch has only made our financial position worse. Another share issue underwritten by Murray International is unlikely as they will no doubt be feeling the pinch the same as everyone else.

If we were not to take some action to reduce costs it would not be outwith the realms of possibility that our club could fold so offering voluntary redundancies would seem to be a sensible move.

But what I would like to see is a symbolic gesture from Martin Bain to take a sizeable pay cut. He has received a hefty wedge in recent years, especially when you include his bonus payments which, although not quite the same as Fred the Shreds remuneration package, have been hugely inflated and undeserved given his pisspoor performance.

It would genuinely be interesting to know what Bain gets compared to what Ogilvie got. Because only one of them is a chief executive.

To be honest i would prefer him to be replaced by a technical manager who has an understanding of football and a commercial insight. For a lot less money of course.

To be honest i would prefer him to be replaced by a technical manager who has an understanding of football and a commercial insight. For a lot less money of course.

Well, if there's one man at Ibrox on a high salary who's easily replaced, he's got to be the prime candidate. If you ask me his performance in transfer negotiations alone is worthy of the sack, not to mention the incident with McKay in January, who should be given as wide a berth as possible all things considered.

Then there's the scandal he caused by involving personal property sales in a transfer negotiation. In fact, the only visible good he's done is in a couple of outgoing transfers, where it could be argued any sales monkey could have brought in a bigger fee anyway. He might be a yes man, but that's no excuse for incompetence.

Edited by UCF2008

The reason staff were not laid off in the summer is probably as simple as the fact that we just posted a profit at the time.

As soon as we got knocked out of Europe, this year's loss of �£10m+ would have been known to SDM and MB. They had yet to announce the profit and was irrelevant to this season's financial performance.

I can't believe that would be a reason for not taking action back then and deferring a decision 6 months.