Was it better without Smith?

I didn't see the game today but I'll echo a question I saw asked elsewhere. Did anyone detect any change in tactics or preparation compared with Smith's teams? Did Mccoist's selections show different thinking and offer any hope of better days ahead? Perhaps those of you who watched it could offer an opinion. Thanks.

Edited by maineflyer

Will pose this question to those who don't want McCoist as next manager but correct me if I'm wrong, has he not been in charge of all cup games for the last two seasons?

If so, not counting Zenit, then he's won 2 cups, in the final of another and a good chace of the final of the Scottish Cup.....

Will pose this question to those who don't want McCoist as next manager but correct me if I'm wrong, has he not been in charge of all cup games for the last two seasons?

If so, not counting Zenit, then he's won 2 cups, in the final of another and a good chace of the final of the Scottish Cup.....

The scuttlebutt is that he doesn't particularly see eye to eye with Smithers when it comes to team selection, which is why I asked.

I didn't see the game today but I'll echo a question I saw asked elsewhere. Did anyone detected any change in tactics or preparation compared with Smith's teams? Did Mccoist's selections show different thinking and offer any hope of better days ahead? perhaps those of you who watched it could offer an opinion. Thanks.

My dad and I watched the game on tv today and we both agreed that the team were set out more positively and played to win. They can do it when they want to. Whether this was AMc's plan or not, we'll need to ask him.

I liked they way we got on top early on then were able to cruise through the second half pinning Hamilton in their own half.

Co-incidence or differing tactics from AMc and WS. I know who's I prefer.

I didn't see the game today but I'll echo a question I saw asked elsewhere. Did anyone detected any change in tactics or preparation compared with Smith's teams? Did Mccoist's selections show different thinking and offer any hope of better days ahead? perhaps those of you who watched it could offer an opinion. Thanks.

Lafferty and Miller were put in for speed and to run the channels. Hamilton were stretched time and time again by the two of them although Lafferty was caught offside quite a lot. Hamilton losing their main defenders to injury didn't help their cause. I really feel that the biggest difference to the team though was Pedro Mendez. He just totally ran the show and was hitting KM and KL with pin point passing. I don't really know if Ally made many tactical moves as Rangers went 4-4-2.There was certainly more movement as when Boyd is in. To be honest i am still not sold on Lafferty, he still looks clumsy to me. Mendes was switched for McCulloch to rest him, but due to the injury of Madjid big Lee was moved back to CH almost immediately and with Hamilton down to ten men he did not have much to do.

Our defending of corners and free-kicks leaves one hell of a lot to be desired and almost every one Hamilton got led to a chance and indeed the goal was also from a high ball into the area. Shagger made a poor attempt to come for the ball and ran into Madjid.

The fact that Hamilton capitulated and lost 4 players didn't really make it a game for many tactical changes. The last 30mins was a training practice with us just tapping the ball around and Hamilton happy to keep the score down. Aaron looked reasonable and can only grow with experience, I hope he doesn't take many penalties though as he was lucky to get a second chance after missing the first.

I saw the line-up before the game today and my first thought was: "That's not a Smith team".

Despite last season's convoluted route to Scottish cup success, I can't say McCoist has done a hell of a lot wrong in the games he's taken charge, in terms of his tactics, team selection and where players are played.

The only evidence of our boss-in-waiting's managerial nous is these cup games, and despite the popular notion that McCoist will ruin us, from the evidence thus far there's nothing that scares me.

I saw the line-up before the game today and my first thought was: "That's not a Smith team".

Despite last season's convoluted route to Scottish cup success, I can't say McCoist has done a hell of a lot wrong in the games he's taken charge, in terms of his tactics, team selection and where players are played.

The only evidence of our boss-in-waiting's managerial nous is these cup games, and despite the popular notion that McCoist will ruin us, from the evidence thus far there's nothing that scares me.

I would still prefer him to manage a smaller team first. Not many first time managers do good at a big club.

I would still prefer him to manage a smaller team first. Not many first time managers do good at a big club.

Agreed - even the likes of Derek McInnes are more experienced than McCoist. I'd also hate to see a man of McCoist's status have his relationship with the fans soured, which is what would inevitably follow were he to be a failure.