The redeveloped national staduim is a pale shadow of it's former self. Look at this video footage of the 'old lady' in her prime - and look at the gaping holes in the Celtc end.....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xrEIVKcwGc]YouTube - Rangers FC The Ultimate bouncy[/ame]

Cammy F

Sorry but to me it doesn't look that great there. It was far more impressive before the stand to the right of the Rangers end was knocked down and a large proportion of the terracing removed - although that impressiveness was really only apparent when it was bursting at the seams.

The stadium may not be great now, but it looks much less of a dump with the colourful seats, the cantilevered roof all round which lead to the symmetry and general cosmetic appearance.

I prefer Ibrox now as well although my first time was in the then new Copeland Road stand.

Football stadiums in general seem to me to reflect the cars of the time. Most cars don't have much soul these days but they are well built and look very shiny and neat as well as being comfortable and full of decent equipment. Whereas when you look at old cars of say the 70's, they look rubbish old bangers in comparison, even when they were new - including classics such as MGB's and Triumph Spitfires.

They might have had a bit more character but they were still a lot more hassle to own.

Whilst the redeveloped Hampden could be argued as more pleasing on the eye it can�t and doesn�t touch the old Hampden for atmosphere. The sheer volume of noise generated from the old Section J (Rangers End) was unbeatable. The redevelopment has meant that many of the seats are too far removed from the playing surface and many give a restricted view, especially behind both goals.

Cammy F

Whilst the redeveloped Hampden could be argued as more pleasing on the eye it can�t and doesn�t touch the old Hampden for atmosphere. The sheer volume of noise generated from the old Section J (Rangers End) was unbeatable. The redevelopment has meant that many of the seats are too far removed from the playing surface and many give a restricted view, especially behind both goals.

Cammy F

Forgive me for being an ignorant youngster here (no offence:)) but was the older hampden not double the capacity??

Forgive me for being an ignorant youngster here (no offence:)) but was the older hampden not double the capacity??

Yip, in the good old days, even before my time :) croweds of up to and over 100,000 were common place at Hampden. Sure the capacity was around 75,000 when I started going regularly.

Cammy F

Whilst the redeveloped Hampden could be argued as more pleasing on the eye it can’t and doesn’t touch the old Hampden for atmosphere. The sheer volume of noise generated from the old Section J (Rangers End) was unbeatable. The redevelopment has meant that many of the seats are too far removed from the playing surface and many give a restricted view, especially behind both goals.

Cammy F

Atmosphere is a different story and it could be argued that all seater stadia have ruined the atmosphere of many a stadium. There are also half the people to make the noise.

It also could be argued that people today are more inclined to sit back and watch the game than get involved as they used to as they are so used to watching it on telly - live games were a rarity until Sky came along.

As for seats being far from the pitch, they are no further than where people used to stand and they used to be further away in the old stand opposite the main one. Standing used to be even further back at the Celtic end before it was lowered and concreted.

There are far less restricted views than there used to be too, due a modern cantilevered roof and not least because it's actually easier to see with everyone sitting due to most difference in height being due to the length of our legs.

Atmosphere is a different story and it could be argued that all seater stadia have ruined the atmosphere of many a stadium. There are also half the people to make the noise.

It also could be argued that people today are more inclined to sit back and watch the game than get involved as they used to as they are so used to watching it on telly - live games were a rarity until Sky came along.

As for seats being far from the pitch, they are no further than where people used to stand and they used to be further away in the old stand opposite the main one. Standing used to be even further back at the Celtic end before it was lowered and concreted.

There are far less restricted views than there used to be too, due a modern cantilevered roof and not least because it's actually easier to see with everyone sitting due to most difference in height being due to the length of our legs.

If you are in the first 20+ rows anywhere in Hampden then you have a restricted view as the sloop of the stand isn't steep enough (unlike say Tynecastle) and your view is impaired by advertising boards, security walls, stewards, Police and behind the goals, the actual goal posts.

As for all-seater stadium dampening the atmosphere, look back to Rangers v Leeds, Rangers V Kiev, Rangers V Celtc (2-2 Gough equaliser) to witness evidence that suggests that new improved stadium actually increases atmosphere (as the roofs of the stands help trap the atmosphere).

I can not remember feeling further removed from the pitch whilst standing at Hampden, you only get that feeling now, and again, it is due to the angle of the slope in the stands. This is very shallow.

Cammy F

If you are in the first 20+ rows anywhere in Hampden then you have a restricted view as the sloop of the stand isn't steep enough (unlike say Tynecastle) and your view is impaired by advertising boards, security walls, stewards, Police and behind the goals, the actual goal posts.

I've only been to the new Hampden once and sat opposite the main stand and thought I had a good view, without noticing the shallow slope. But, I can imagine that the slope is shallow in some parts due to Hampden mostly being a conversion job rather than a proper rebuild. The terraces are designed for standing rather than seats and that will always compromise things. So I can see what you're saying.

However, I once stood in the old enclosure in front of the main stand which was well below pitch level and my eyes were only a few inches above pitch height. I was about 11 and not the tallest, although my age allowed me to push to the front. With all the police feet around, blocking my view, I really can't imagine a worse view in the present day.

I'm surprised about the police and stewards now as I've just been to the new MK Dons stadium. We were late getting tickets and were at the front row with a steward right in front of us and I was worried he'd be standing there all through the game. But when the whistle went, all the stewards sat down on foam blocks with their heads just above the front concrete wall, and they watched the crowd from there. Surely they do that elsewhere?

I don't think there is much you can do about the goal posts and I've had that problem at many a stadium.

As for all-seater stadium dampening the atmosphere, look back to Rangers v Leeds, Rangers V Kiev, Rangers V Celtc (2-2 Gough equaliser) to witness evidence that suggests that new improved stadium actually increases atmosphere (as the roofs of the stands help trap the atmosphere).

I think sometimes the occasion can overcome the apathy and create great atmospheres, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

I do feel that Ibrox WAS better 30 years ago when it was mostly seated and only had crowds of around 30,000. I think that's partly a generational thing but mostly caused by the switch to large numbers of season tickets and so fans sit in a designated seat. It means big groups of friends or buddies on supporters buses are split up which makes people a lot quieter.

I can not remember feeling further removed from the pitch whilst standing at Hampden, you only get that feeling now, and again, it is due to the angle of the slope in the stands. This is very shallow.

Cammy F

My argument there was that objectively, the seats can't be physically further from the pitch as they have not extended backwards - and in fact the Celtic end doesn't go back as far or as high as it used to, but I can't argue if the perception is there.

I'm not sure if it is viable to spend more on Hampden when we've spent so much on something that just about works. Perhaps the ends could be squared off and the angle increased by two brand new stands there while keeping it the same at the sides. Making the new stands big enough increase the gate to 65-70k would also help for finals with either of the OF or especially both.

However they need the current layout for the Commonwealth games.