Last True Rangers GREAT

There were plenty of canidates from the 9-in-a-row era; McCoist, Brown, McCall, Ian Ferguson, The Goalie et al, but IMO Gough was THEIR leader and they wouldn't have been the team that they were without his leadership.

Cammy F

He gave it the "shoosh" finger over the lips and cupped his ears after scoring on Saturday. Perhaps he visits one or two of the forums.

Not the first and certainly not the last Rangers player to 'gesture' to the fans (if that was indeed what he was doing). I can remember a certain Ally McCoist making a similar gesture to the East Enclosure after scoring for Rangers; pointing to the RFC badge and wagging his finger at the EE.

Not to mention a certain Cammy Fraser and a run-in with the patrons of the Govan Stand and a Harvey Smith type retrort to some booing :box::)

Cammy F - Two Fingered Gesture Loyal RSC

Guest adamski
The Hall of Fame has become too crowded IMO. I'd have limited it to 25 places or thereabouts, and then reviewed it in 10 or 20 years. In any case Gough would always stroll into it.

I agree with every point you have made

regarding Ferguson - he was audibly booed by around a quarter of the ground when the sides were read out at 2.40-2.45 on saturday

Goughie is a legend, no doubt about it.

It may be me but Barry Ferguson could NEVER be thought about in the same way that Gough is. Gough respected the position he held and did nothing but his utmost to give that position the respect it deserved, I dont get that same feeling with BF.

Gough epitomised Rangers for me, Barry Ferguson doesn't.

Not the first and certainly not the last Rangers player to 'gesture' to the fans (if that was indeed what he was doing). I can remember a certain Ally McCoist making a similar gesture to the East Enclosure after scoring for Rangers; pointing to the RFC badge and wagging his finger at the EE.

I remember that one well and have to say it was completely different. McCoist had a cheeky smile on his face as he did it and it was clearly light-hearted.

Barry appeared to mouth "shut it". While I would never boo a Rangers captain, I do understand why he is disliked. He passed his sell by date as a captain over 2 years ago.

Goughie is a legend, no doubt about it.

It may be me but Barry Ferguson could NEVER be thought about in the same way that Gough is. Gough respected the position he held and did nothing but his utmost to give that position the respect it deserved, I dont get that same feeling with BF.

Gough epitomised Rangers for me, Barry Ferguson doesn't.

While Ferguson has bickered his way through his Rangers career (threatening to leave when Smith used him sparingly in 97/98, splitting the camp under Le Guen, various rumoured training ground spats, etc), Gough was the man that held that 9IAR team together - all for one and one for all.

I always had Goughie marked own as a dead cert for future Rangers manager - in the days when there seemed no shortage of candidates. Even now I wonder...what on earth went wrong with his mangerial career. He had a spell at Livingston to learn the ropes then what?

As Norris said, he has all the qualities to be a Rangers manager. I think McCoist lacks a certain gravitas - can't say that about Gough.