Last True Rangers GREAT

Was reading a thread on another Rangers site that was discussing the last true GREAT to play for Rangers and whilst a few great players names were mentioned; Ronald De Boer (who I’d say is one of the best players I have ever seen), Brian Laudrup, Paul Gascoigne, Barry Ferguson, Dado Prso, Jorg Albertz – to name just a few.

However, in my opinion, the last true Rangers GREAT, taking into account length of service, dedication to the cause, displaying the qualities that define a ‘RANGER’, I give you Richard Gough who IMO is the last true GREAT to play for our club - we salute you goughie and we are not worthy.

richardgough.th.jpg

Cammy F

Edited by CammyF

Was reading a thread on another Rangers site that was discussing the last true GREAT to play for Rangers and whilst a few great players names were mentioned; Ronald De Boer (who Iââ?¬â?¢d say is one of the best players I have ever seen), Brian Laudrup, Paul Gascoigne, Barry Ferguson, Dado Prso, Jorg Albertz ââ?¬â?? to name just a few.

However, in my opinion, the last true Rangers GREAT, taking into account length of service, dedication to the cause, displaying the qualities that define a ââ?¬Ë?RANGERââ?¬â?¢, I give you Richard Gough.

richardgough.th.jpg

Cammy F

One of my all-time favourites. An absolute mountain of a man for the Rangers over 10 years. He represented everything good and righteous about the club, everything a Rangers captain should be. The guy quite simply had the Rangers spirit. It was all very nice to rave about Cuellar for a few months, but he wasn't fit to shine Goughie's boots.

King Richard. We may not see his like again.

do you think barry ferguson will ever take his place in this bracket?

Nope, due to his break in service with his transfer to Blackburn. If he hadn't left / been sold, then I believe that he could have been.

Cammy F

One of my all-time favourites. An absolute mountain of a man for the Rangers over 10 years. He represented everything good and righteous about the club, everything a Rangers captain should be. The guy quite simply had the Rangers spirit. It was all very nice to rave about Cuellar for a few months, but he wasn't fit to shine Goughie's boots.

King Richard. We may not see his like again.

Can't argue with that. Gascoigne and Laudrup both soured theire reputations by the way their Rangers careers ended. De Boer and Prso missed a lot of matches. Albertz was a hero, but not a great for me.

My only other candidate would be McCoist. A gent on and off the park and the greatest goalscorer of his generation

do you think barry ferguson will ever take his place in this bracket?

Goughie would never have undermined his manager nor made petulant gestures to the fans when the going gets tough.

Richard Gough was a great Rangers captain. Barry Ferguson never will be.

^ i have to say i agree. there is something in bf's demeanour and temperament that i think will exclude him from being talked about in the way these other players are.

when did he gesture to the fans?

IMO McCoist is already a Rangers Great.

Have most of the players mentioned not already been inducted into the Hall of Fame too?

The Hall of Fame has become too crowded IMO. I'd have limited it to 25 places or thereabouts, and then reviewed it in 10 or 20 years. In any case Gough would always stroll into it.