Gersnet Examines RFC Player of the Year Nominees

http://www.gersnetonline.co.uk/newsite/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=779&Itemid=2

First off, I�d like to say I think it is too early for anyone to make their choice of the names Rangers have short-listed. However, I think their list is accurate enough (if too long) so before you make your vote, lets have a look through and see if the names mentioned are justified.

* Kris Boyd

There has been some surprise with regard to the strikerââ?¬â?¢s inclusion on the list. His recent form and general demeanour means Boyd will always be an enigmatic figure amongst the support. Arguments will always be evident between those that accept his poacher status and those that think his attitude detracts from his penalty box prowess. Thereââ?¬â?¢s no doubt though that his goals remain an important part of the Rangers team. As such, his 24 goals this season mean his PotY nomination is understandable ââ?¬â?? even if the goals have dried of late meaning heââ?¬â?¢s unlikely to win the award unless his form picks up dramatically as the season reaches its climax.

Nominee rating: 6

* Steven Davis

An ever-present on the right side of midfield, the Ulsterman is another player who has contributed well to Rangersââ?¬â?¢ challenge for the title. Intelligence, vision and the ability to score goals from midfield are his main virtues and these have been evident several times this season. However, as with the team generally, he lacks consistency and is often posted missing when the going gets tough ââ?¬â?? particularly in a physical sense. Davis will be another player whoââ?¬â?¢ll be looking to improve his form to have any chance of winning.

Nominee rating: 7

* Pedro Mendes

If you ask any Rangers fan who their favourite player is, the Portuguese midfielder will be one of the more popular answers. Creative, exciting and capable of scoring wonder goals, Mendes is crucial to any Rangers game he�s played. In saying that, since Kevin Thomson picked up his injury last November, Mendes has struggled to show the quality he did in the early part of the season. Sporadic rather than sensational arguably best describes his contribution but when he did pick up an injury last month he was missed. Will he be the one that can play Rangers to the title and attain an SPL medal and PotY award in his debut season?

Nominee rating: 6

* Allan McGregor

I think it is fair to say that McGregor�s inclusion on the short-list is puzzling to many. His form has improved since the start of the season but despite having 12 SPL clean sheets so far, I�d contend that is down to the players in front of him as opposed to the keeper himself. Nonetheless, McGregor remains a vital part of the defence and one of the team�s best assets. Unfortunately, recent international problems have shown that he is another player where his attitude may undermine his career.

Nominee rating: 5

* David Weir

It is testament to the 38 year old�s longevity that Rangers retain the best defensive record in the SPL. Forming an excellent partnership with Madjid Bougherra, the Scotland international player deserves a lot of credit for his attitude towards the game. His lack of pace and poor distribution are well documented but it is his positioning, timing and organisational skills which seems to bring out the best in his defensive colleagues. Weir is 39 in the middle of May and his consistency of performance certainly makes him a valid candidate for Rangers� PotY.

Nominee rating: 7

* Madjid Bougherra

Iââ?¬â?¢ve deliberately left whom I feel is the best candidate to last. The big Algerian arrived in the summer as a straight replacement for Carlos Cuellar and, given our European exit to Kaunas, was immediately under pressure to play well. And play well he has done! Indeed, his form has been that good that many Rangers supporters have already forgotten about ââ?¬Ë?King Carlosââ?¬â?¢ and some even rate ââ?¬Ë?Magicââ?¬â?¢ a better player. Certainly whenever he has been missing from the team (see our two losses against Celtic) we have struggled with him. Pacy, strong, aerially competent and not to mention his exciting forward runs, Bougherra has truly been a revelation at the back. As such, unless the above players really go on a run of excellent form, I can see no better contender for Rangersââ?¬â?¢ Player of the Year.

Nominee rating: 9

Pretty much agree with the assessment of each player and the arguement that at this stage it is Bougherra's award to lose.

Only sparkling displays in each of the remaining games from Pedro Mendes could see him take the award. Especially if he can perform against Celtic as he did in the 4-2, chipping in with a goal.

That's not to say I think he's currently the second placed choice for the award. Just a realisation of the fact that an attack minded player of his ilk will more easily catch the average fans eye.

I still only see Boogie winning POTY.