Any Lessons To Be Learned From Porto

After watching the first legs of the CL qualifiers last night, are there any lessons that we (as in Rangers) could learn from the mightly impressive Porto last night? Recently, they have dominated their domestic league and won both the UEFA Cup and Champions League playing in a similar standard of domestic league as we do. They have a similar sized stadium to Rangers (in fact, their average attendence is just over 37,000 but you can get a ticket for their games for as little as E15), probably receive the same amount of tv money as we do and as far as I am aware they pay lower wages than Rangers.

Given that, how can they sustain domestic dominance and quality in Europe on a yearly basis, yet we 'have' to accept downsizing, financial missmanagement, a terrible scouting system (Ewan Chester claimed on RTV recently that Sergio Porrini was his best 'find' - that'll be Sergio Porrini that had won domestic championships and the CL before signing for us!!!), a youth academy that hasn't delivered the standard of player required.

Cammy F

Was thinking exactly the same as I watched the game last night mate...

There must be ways we can copy their successful methods - not to mention their exciting style of football!

Was thinking exactly the same as I watched the game last night mate...

There must be ways we can copy their successful methods - not to mention their exciting style of football!

Yip, it also got me thinking to the last time we played them in the CL (2005 IIRC) where we defeated them 3-2 at Ibrox and draw 1-1 in Portugal. Given the RFC line-up from the home leg I can't believe how well be done against them.

Waterreus, Ricksen, Rodriguez, Kyrgiakos, Bernard, Namouchi (Novo 72), Ferguson, Murray, Lovenkrands (Buffel 56), Prso, Jeffers (Thompson 84). Subs Not Used: Klos, Andrews, Alex Rae, Pierre-Fanfan

Maybe AMc wasn't as bad a manager as he was made out to be :whistle::devil::) From what I remember, Ferguson and Prso were outstanding in the game at Ibrox.

Cammy F

Not just Porto Cammy but Villareal too. OK, they play in arguable the best league in Europe and currently sit 4th in La Liga but they're a small club from a small town with a small stadium. They don't get huge income from gate receipts but that's substituted by the TV revenue they'll receive yet they manage to balance everything perfectly and constantly, for the last 4 or 5 seasons been there or thereabouts and usually end up in the CL by finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th in their domestic league.

If they can do it with why can't we?

Edited by Gazza_8

Not just Porto Cammy but Villareal too. OK, they play in arguable the best league in Europe and currently sit 4th in La Liga but they're a small club from a small town with a small stadium. They don't get huge income from gate receipts but that's substituted by the TV revenue they'll receive yet they manage to balance everything perfectly and constantly, for the last 4 or 5 seasons been there or thereabouts and usually end up in the CL by finishing 2nd, 3rd or 4th in their domestic league.

If they can do it with why can't we?

Villarreal are also offering free season tickets for next season to those who have been made unemployed and are offering a mini-season ticket package for the unemployed for the remaining home games of the season - this was cost E20 for the four games.

In 1991 Villarreal were a local team playing in a local league with an average attendence of 169.

Cammy F

There is not much change happening with regards to the youngsters playing in Scotland is there? OK the facitlities at some clubs are better than they were but is the training better? Do they do much at schools theses days to promote it? Some pitch's i've seen look bloody awful and might do more harm than good. My nephew's have played for teams but sometimes them and lots of other kids hardly get a game which doesn't exactly encourage them to go back or stay interested. One doesn't play anymore because of this as was a decent player. Also some of the coaches/managers are useless to say the least. Can anyone take this on or do you have to get badges also?

I am thinking about taking my 4 year old to some lessons (or just to run about daft) at weekends or after nursery but i've contacted my local council who didn't help much at all or knew where I could get any. And most summer training camps cost a fortune, surely they should be free or cheaper than they are just now!

I think we are still years behind other countries starting at the kids levels all the way up...........

I think we are still years behind other countries starting at the kids levels all the way up...........

No doubt about it mate.

PS: I'd imagine the facilities at Strathclyde Park (Helenvale) should have good info on provisions for the wee man.

No doubt about it mate.

PS: I'd imagine the facilities at Strathclyde Park (Helenvale) should have good info on provisions for the wee man.

cheers Frankie........

I'll need to start phoning about as I'm sure there will be a few close by. It's just not very well publicised or promoted IMO.