Any Lessons To Be Learned From Porto

But does Portugal not also make it easier for their clubs by allowing South Americans in with less stringent work permit rules ?

What difference does that make? Not all South American players are world class, just ask Rafael Scheidt. :fish:

What difference does that make? Not all South American players are world class, just ask Rafael Scheidt. :fish:

Maybe not buy are you telling me that we wouldn't welcome a player like Lisandro Lopez to Ibrox ?

Just look at the squad we have..... some of these South Americans who haven't been capped are better than we have in our current squad - yet in the UK they wouldn't get a permit.

I am not saying they would sign for us, nor am I saying our scouting would be good enough to realise them - but at least Portugal make it easier for players from renowned countries to get in.

Maybe not buy are you telling me that we wouldn't welcome a player like Lisandro Lopez to Ibrox ?

Just look at the squad we have..... some of these South Americans who haven't been capped are better than we have in our current squad - yet in the UK they wouldn't get a permit.

I am not saying they would sign for us, nor am I saying our scouting would be good enough to realise them - but at least Portugal make it easier for players from renowned countries to get in.

Of course I would, now that's he proven but are we in a position to offer contracts to unknown South Americans who may turn out to be like Nieto and Rozenthal and only kick a ball for us about 6 times.

Of course I would, now that's he proven but are we in a position to offer contracts to unknown South Americans who may turn out to be like Nieto and Rozenthal and only kick a ball for us about 6 times.

But surely it would at least be potentially more advantageous to have the OPTION of guys like that ?????

I doubt our scouting network would see the players potential but better to have the option than not.

Nieto...... wow, there is a guy I had forgotten about.

But does Portugal not also make it easier for their clubs by allowing South Americans in with less stringent work permit rules ?

That is a valid point and it is something I'd imagine the new 5 + 6 rules will look to address.

I'm sure most south americans would go to somewhere like portugal for the weather and also the style of play rather than come to a cold and wet Scotland where you get 1 second to control the ball, unless you are playing us of course where you can do what you like these days!!!

We can sign any player from any European EU nation without worrying about a work permit. Or, are we to believe that Brazil or South America is the only continent producing decent players?

Cammy F

We can sign any player from any European EU nation without worrying about a work permit. Or, are we to believe that Brazil or South America is the only continent producing decent players?

Cammy F

I think you are missing my point Cammy.

I am not saying that the South Americans are the only continent who are producing decent players.

But if you look at Porto's 2008/09 squad is it any coincidence that 12 out of 26 squad members are either Brazilian or Argentinian, with a further two from Uruguay and one Colombian. That means the Porto squad is more than 50% South and Central American. And not all of those will be established internationals to satisfy the work permit requirements.

You ask if we can learn lessons from Porto and the answer is an unequivocal yes but, at the same time, we can't ignore some of the advantages they also have over Scottish teams - one of which is a less stringent work permit rule.

You have to look at ALL the reasons they seem to be doing better than us and one of those reasons must surely be their signing policy and with more than half their squad made up of South Americans surely that can't be debated ?

I think you are missing my point Cammy.

I am not saying that the South Americans are the only continent who are producing decent players.

But if you look at Porto's 2008/09 squad is it any coincidence that 12 out of 26 squad members are either Brazilian or Argentinian, with a further two from Uruguay and one Colombian. That means the Porto squad is more than 50% South and Central American. And not all of those will be established internationals to satisfy the work permit requirements.

You ask if we can learn lessons from Porto and the answer is an unequivocal yes but, at the same time, we can't ignore some of the advantages they also have over Scottish teams - one of which is a less stringent work permit rule.

You have to look at ALL the reasons they seem to be doing better than us and one of those reasons must surely be their signing policy and with more than half their squad made up of South Americans surely that can't be debated ?

Think you are also missing mine :)

Given me a Rangers squad filled with 12 players from Holland and Germany, with a few Scandinavians thrown in for good measure. If we get these Europeans early enough, we could have half our squad from outwith these shores.....

Cammy F