Has to be our stongest team on Saturday. We aren't good enough to rest players, particularly given our squad situation.

Chances are that Walter won't play Boyd against Celtic anyway. :D

Does that include Mendes right now though? :devil:

Ian and Cal have said he's not the player some make out.

What would be your starting XI?

Does that include Mendes right now though? :devil:

Ian and Cal have said he's not the player some make out.

What would be your starting XI?

I'd go with

McGregor

Whittaker, Bougherra, Weir, Papac (if fit - if not then same full backs as at the w/e)

Davis, Fergie, Mendes, Smith

Novo, Boyd

Davis and Mendes aren't really doing it at the moment, but I'm not convinced that we have better options. :(

I'd go with

McGregor

Whittaker, Bougherra, Weir, Papac (if fit - if not then same full backs as at the w/e)

Davis, Fergie, Mendes, Smith

Novo, Boyd

Davis and Mendes aren't really doing it at the moment, but I'm not convinced that we have better options. :(

Smith impressed you sufficiently to retain the LM spot? Would be good to see him save his Rangers career. Still think he could be a good player for us, although eventually moving back to LM.

If Fergie is not to come in for Mendes I would be tempted not to play him at all. Edu has been one of the better midfielders imo and offers slightly better balance in a similar way to which Thomson did, though not nearly as effective.

Personally though, as I say, I would rest Mendes to ensure his availability for the Old Firm. I would probably risk continuing Boyd with Miller and lafferty out and with the knowledge Smith probably doesn't want him for the OF anyway.

Wouldn't really argue with your team though.

Personally, I'd prefer Ferguson to Mendes for the final OF game of the season. Mendes hasn't shown anything in 3 out of the 4 OF games this season to suggest that he is a better option than Ferguson for this game.

Ferguson has all the experience and if selected will have something to prove. In saying that, it is Steven Davis who is causing the most concern in the midfield as he appears to have gone off the boil recently.

As for Boyd, IMO no matter how well he is playing WS will revert to a 4-5-1 for the OF game and if Lafferty isn't fit, Valicka will play as the lone striker (hence his recently inclusion). In fact, I can see WS reverting to 4-5-1 as early as Sunday against Hibs.

Cammy F

Smith impressed you sufficiently to retain the LM spot? Would be good to see him save his Rangers career. Still think he could be a good player for us, although eventually moving back to LM.

If Fergie is not to come in for Mendes I would be tempted not to play him at all. Edu has been one of the better midfielders imo and offers slightly better balance in a similar way to which Thomson did, though not nearly as effective.

Personally though, as I say, I would rest Mendes to ensure his availability for the Old Firm. I would probably risk continuing Boyd with Miller and lafferty out and with the knowledge Smith probably doesn't want him for the OF anyway.

Wouldn't really argue with your team though.

Smith gave some bite and mobility, which has been lacking from LM, so yeah, I'd give him another go.

I just can't make up my mind about Edu. Is he doing a job or is the game passing him by? I'm not yet convinced, but if Smith decided to start with him, I'd not be too upset, but I'd probably not pick him myself.

As for Boyd, IMO no matter how well he is playing WS will revert to a 4-5-1 for the OF game and if Lafferty isn't fit, Valicka will play as the lone striker (hence his recently inclusion). In fact, I can see WS reverting to 4-5-1 as early as Sunday against Hibs.

I don't think that Velicka offers much more than Boyd as the loan striker. If it's a choice between the 2 of them, I'd go for Boyd, and my thoughts about him playing upfront on his own are well-documented.

I could see Novo being given that role before either of them.

I don't think that Velicka offers much more than Boyd as the loan striker. If it's a choice between the 2 of them, I'd go for Boyd, and my thoughts about him playing upfront on his own are well-documented.

Novo does have a decent scoring record against them. I just can't think of any other reason for the reintroduction of Valicka other than him leading the line against Celtc at Ibrox.

Cammy F

Neither does Kenny Miller. And I'm yet to be convinced by Lafferty doing it either.

That's not a criticism of those players. Just recognition of the fact that it is a very hard role to play, particularly when the two wide midfielders in the 5 and any one of the central midfielders tasked with the role of getting forward do not support the lone front man.

Cousin seemed to manage it ok in Scotland. And Drogba seems adept at playing the role at the highest standard. However Drogba had excellent support from the likes of Cole, Robben and Lampard when Chelsea utilised the formation so effectively.

I do not understand this fascination with the 4-5-1 when we don't have a striker to play the lone role effectively, nor the pace and width on the flanks or an attacking midfielder to support them.

We should go into any game to win it. Deploying 4-5-1 and barring outrageous luck or individual brilliance and we are already reducing our options to a draw or a defeat.

It's all very well saying Boyd can't play in a 4-5-1, but very few of the players in our pool compliment that formation. We're not playing in Europe looking for a nil-nil at home and then to score on the counter in the away tie. And if we expect to play like that in the run-in, games we need to win, we will lose the title to too many draws. Some teams will simply sit in and take the draw or teams like Hearts and Dundee United will take the game to us and likely the three points.

We're not playing Fiorentina, Sporting Lisbon or Werder Bremen here. So why play like we are over-matched in quality where only luck will see us achieve the results we need???

Sebo managed it at Parkhead also. Physical strength is required for the role, as you have to dominate 2 centre-halves. Cousin was ideal for it, JCD could also play this role due to his pace.

For all his goal-scoring ability, Boyd has neither physical strength nor pace, thus, the main reason he can't play this role.

I am not advocating 4-5-1 for these games, just have a feeling, that like earlier in the season, when things get tight WS will revert to negativity rather than trying to ram home our advantage.

Cammy F