Thoughts on the squad for 2009-10

Taking on from the thread cut from the paper about players leaving, I started thinking about I personally would like to stay and go for next season.

With Dailly and Hemdani already gone, and Ferguson (the top earner) on his way it seems, I would hold fire on trying too hard to get rid of McGregor and Boyd.

I think that together with Edu Thomson Davis Lafferty Whittaker we have the makings of a good young side that are not only all worth big money should they have an impact on the CL games, but ultimately are good enough to win consecutive SPL titles and are not on huge money (Davis aside probably).

The ones we should be more concerned with leaving are McCulloch, Velicka, and Smith(G), and we couldn't cry over more of the fringe players being replaced with our young promising players.

We could get a decent fee, this year only, for Mendes and I would reluctantly sell him before I would sell McGregor or Boyd as I think the loss of Mendes would have a lesser effect on the team than the other two would.

That is seven players I have noted that I dont think would affect us too badly, and if you add Adam, Gow, Smith(S), Naismith, that would be 11 leaving and would allow one or two more experienced players to come in to fill the real problem areas of the team, like the wide areas.

My 24 man squad for next season is starting to look like this;

GK: McGregor (1st team), Alexander (2nd choice), Robinson.

DF: Weir, Bougherra, Papac, Whittaker (all 1st team), Webster, Wilson, Broadfoot, Wylde,

MF: Davis, Thomson (1st team) Edu, Aaron, Beasley, new LM, new RM, plus one of Furman/Shinnie/Efrem.

ST: Boyd, Lafferty (1st team) Miller, Fleck, Novo.

We also have a lot of good proscpects in our reserves/U19's who should be looking to make a breakthrough, even from the bench this coming season. Players like Ness, Emslie, Loy, Campbell, Lennon, Lowing, Little, McMillan, Hutton. We have heard a lot of good things about these lads, and I would love to see us giving them a taste at the right times.

Clearly I would love to see better players throughout the team, but given the financial mess the chairman has made of us again, coupled with uncertain times ahead, this squad should be good enough to see us through the season, unless we have major injury problems. The new midfield signings would have to be first team picks, but as we are getting rid of 11 and bringing in only 2, surely we could afford the wages for a couple of decent players that would bring the flair and creativity so badly lacking in recent years.

Any thoughts bears?

Yep, don't disagree with any of that really although I'd prefer to give Mendes another season at the club - especially with Edu and Thomson unlikely to make the kick off.

I hope we move on Ferguson and more of the other fringe players. That will free up enough money to maybe spend a couple of million on Brunt (or a similar proper left-midfield player) and perhaps an out-and-out right winger.

PS: Efrem has left the club mate and it looks as if Furman and Lowing will join him.

The jury is still out re Naismith. He's had an inconsistent season and not really made much of an impact at all. I know he has the talent but, just like a whole bunch of players this season, he hasn't been able to show it on a consistent basis.

As for McGregor, I wouldn't worry if we sold him. There's plenty more good GKs out there. I'm happy with Alexander retaining the number 1 jersey anyway for next season. He's more than reliable.

Boyd needs to stay, simple as that. If we sell him we'd struggle for goals. Who's our 2nd top scorer this season and with how many? I bet it's not even half of Boyds tally.

I'd maybe look to bring in another LB. Papac has been very reliable this season but I feel his attacking skills are limited. These days, your fullbacks have to be as good offensively as they are defensively. I don't see a future for S.Smith at Ibrox so we just look to move him on. We wouldn't have a backup LB if Smith does go.

Hopefully WS moves Davis into the middle of the field for the beginning of the season while Thomson and Edu are injured. Maybe Novo will play RM but I feel we need to bring in a new RM and a LM, possibly Brunt. I'd show Aaron the door to. No point keeping him if he isn't going to get a chance.

We're fotgetting about Charlie Adam. If he can lose some weight and get a good pre-season under his belt then maybe he'll be in with a shout of the CM position for the start of the new season.

I'd punt Beasley.

We can't have Weir as first choice next season. His lack of pace restricts the whole team. Looks like Webster's on his way, so we need further cover there as well.

Yes, happy to keep McGregor and Boyd, but I'd get rid of Beasley. Not suited to Scottish football.

Naismith - can't see anyone wanting to buy him for over �£500K so I reckon we're stuck with him.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I had Beasley as one of my leavers too until I thought that for continuity we would be better off keeping him, or we need to try to bed in two wingers at the same time.

I agree that Weir should not be an automatic first pick next season, especially with many more midweek games to play this year due to a combination of CL and a shorter season, but again I feel we dont have the money to bring in two quality centre halfs in one window, and Weir will probably be captain and first pick unless his fitness/form becomes too much. I would hope that we use him more sparingly however, and that he should not play in home games against the bottom six for example. That would give him 8/9 games off to allow him to be fresh for the big games.

Unfortunately we would then be moaning about consistency of selection being important for a back line to achieve consistent form, so we really cant win!

I also agree that Papac would not be first pick in an ideal situation given our style of play, but that we cannot afford to replace him with a quality first team pick when other positions need it more and we will not be bringing in a lot of players this year.

Perhaps with a decent CL run (not coming 4th) and therefore more euro football post xmas we can strengthen in January but I dont think we can fix everything in one window given our financial mess.

Perhaps with a decent CL run (not coming 4th) and therefore more euro football post xmas we can strengthen in January but I dont think we can fix everything in one window given our financial mess.

Have to agree with you. It's not just the club's debt that's a problem either. Something I see as a big problem for Walter Smith, is that he's got no idea what offers are going to come in for our players, if any at all. Any offers that do come in could also be later in the transfer window, so if Walter has X amount to spend on a defender or two & does it before we sell any players, there's nothing to say that we won't get good offers in for a couple of central midfielders that can't be refused but would leave us short in that department & scrambling to replace them.