Great yes, differnet generation I'm guessing but I would pick absolutely NO-ONE ahead of Super Cooper for that position, an Im sure anyone who was lucky enough to see him play will say the same.

Great yes, differnet generation I'm guessing but I would pick absolutely NO-ONE ahead of Super Cooper for that position, an Im sure anyone who was lucky enough to see him play will say the same.

Only seen vids of Cooper, got my first ST the season before Albertz signed. Jorg was also a great CM.

WOOOOFFF!!!!!!

As \I said, it's the generation difference. A lot of us were luck enough to see Cooper in the Flesh. My first hero and always a True Blue Legend and always no. one in any best of team.

No that was Gattuso.

Albertz was a bigger mistake than Gattuso IMO. Albertz was established as our Top players...gattuso was 'promising' at the time.

McLeish had a chance to sign Albertz back and turned it down....silly silly silly decision!

I stand corrected.:)

Just wondering how Advocaat being the "outside of the box tactical master" that he is, only managed to get us to the Q final of the Uefa Cup? He had millions at his disposal and you're lauding him for playing 4-5-1 and winning a game in Europe?

Do you see where I'm going here Mr. Get Out Of My Club Walter? European final? 4-5-1?:whistle:

Edited by Cotter

DA also played Tugay at sweeper away to Monaco in the CL and Tugay put in a MOTM performance as we won 1-0 thanks to a Gio thunderbolt (whilst the travelling Rangers fans sung a fabulous rendition of 'In Your Monaco Slums - in the days when our support still had a comical side!)

As for Albertz, he was a wonderful player and a wonderful Ranger. Strolled through games and had a lethal left foot. Scored some brilliant goals and my fave would be his strike against Munich at Ibrox in the CL. A game where we dominated the German champions only to be robbed of victory with a late deflected goal.

Cammy F

I stand corrected.:)

Just wondering how Advocaat being the "outside of the box tactical master" that he is, only managed to get us to the Q final of the Uefa Cup? He had millions at his disposal and you're lauding him for playing 4-5-1 and winning a game in Europe?

Do you see where I'm going here Mr. Get Out Of My Club Walter? European final? 4-5-1?:whistle:

Totally disagree with that.

To suggest Advocaat was a 4-5-1 merchant is sheer fantasy.

Secondly, you know as well as I do that Advocaat did a hell of a lot more for us in Europe than "won a game". If you're going to take an anti-Advocaat line at least look at the facts.

As for why he didn't take us to the later stages in Europe in his three seasons at Ibrox, my honest belief is bad luck. 1999/2000 v Bayern away, all we needed was a point and we absolutely pumped them that night but lost 1-0 through an extremely dodgy penalty. We were also unlucky to concede a 93rd minute equaliser against Bayern at home a few weeks earlier, without which we would already have qualified for the next stage. Later the same season, now into the UEFA Cup, we conceded a 94th minute equaliser away to Borussia Dortmund and went out on penalties when we were looking good for the tournament. It could also be argued we were unfortunate against Parma in the UEFA Cup in 1998/99.

Advocaat took us to a level of football in Europe McLeish and Smith couldn't dream of. Smith got us hanging on for dear life against second-tier sides. Advocaat had us playing Europe's finest off the park.

Totally disagree with that.

To suggest Advocaat was a 4-5-1 merchant is sheer fantasy.

Secondly, you know as well as I do that Advocaat did a hell of a lot more for us in Europe than "won a game". If you're going to take an anti-Advocaat line at least look at the facts.

As for why he didn't take us to the later stages in Europe in his three seasons at Ibrox, my honest belief is bad luck. 1999/2000 v Bayern away, all we needed was a point and we absolutely pumped them that night but lost 1-0 through an extremely dodgy penalty. We were also unlucky to concede a 93rd minute equaliser against Bayern at home a few weeks earlier, without which we would already have qualified for the next stage. Later the same season, now into the UEFA Cup, we conceded a 94th minute equaliser away to Borussia Dortmund and went out on penalties when we were looking good for the tournament. It could also be argued we were unfortunate against Parma in the UEFA Cup in 1998/99.

Advocaat took us to a level of football in Europe McLeish and Smith couldn't dream of. Smith got us hanging on for dear life against second-tier sides. Advocaat had us playing Europe's finest off the park.

I'm not saying Advocaat was a 4 5 1 merchant. I'm saying that it's funny you praise him for playing 4 5 1 for a couple of games and call him a genius yet all Walter merits from you is utter disdain in the face of domestic and european success.

As for your last point, Advocaat had a level of finance that McLeish and Smith could only dream of as you well know.

I'm not taking the anti-Advocaat line. His teams plyed fantastic football at times and without Mols injury who knows what could have happened?

As an aside, how were we unlucky against Parma in 98/99? 1-1 at Ibrox and 1-3 away?

Do remember that Albertz struck first with a daisy cutter from 25 yards in the away match, getting back on topic:)

Totally different types of player and you can't really compare. You could have them both in your team.

However if there was space for only one winger and I had the choice between Cooper and Laudrup, I'd go for Laudrup.

I remember meeting Alex Miller on holiday one year when he was manager of St Mirren. There was talk about Cooper leaving Rangers (we may have just signed Walters?) He said he wouldn't want Cooper in his team as he didn't do enough work. :eek: