KEVIN THOMSON always knew he was joining a big club when he signed for Rangers from Hibs.

Last May's trip to Manchester, when something like 200,000 fans followed Walter Smith's players to a UEFA Cup Final, merely underlined his point.

But it was not until Thomson experienced the mass euphoria of a title-day triumph at Tannadice that the 24-year-old realised the full enormity of what he has got himself involved in.

And the heady experience has strengthened his resolve to return to full fitness and take centre stage when the prizes are being handed out at the end of the next campaign.

Thomson was left hobbling on the sidelines for most of last season after suffering a horrific knee injury at Kilmarnock in November.

From that moment on his season was spent between the surgeon's bench and the physio's room with the occasional light relief of having to watch on through the gaps in his fingers as, without him, his teammates clawed their way to the most dramatic of league and Scottish Cup Doubles.

While they disappeared off into a long hot summer, Thomson returned to Murray Park to continue his lonely slog back to fitness.

But he's been spurred on more than ever by just one thought: The next time Rangers lift silverware he plans on being slap bang in the thick of the celebrations.

"In a way the last day up at Tannadice rammed it home to me just what a huge club I am at," said Thomson yesterday as he broke off from his duties with the Rangers charity foundation.

"You know from the minute you sign on the dotted line that you're joining something very special. But seeing what it means to so many thousands of people to bring the big one back to Rangers is something that maybe we all needed to see for ourselves as players.

"The celebrations at Tannadice and then all the way back down the road to Glasgow were like nothing I'd ever witnessed before.

"The biggest eye-opener was when we got back to Ibrox and saw 36,000 fans waiting for us. It was just wild. With the atmosphere in the place you'd have thought it was a European night - it was only the game that was missing!

"It's the thought of being involved in the celebrations next year that will make the last eight months I've spent in the gym all worth while. I want to be a part of it and this time I really want to feel as if I've earned it."

Thomson did earn his place at the title party by virtue of his earlyseason contribution which was so impressive it has led to calls for him to be installed as Barry Ferguson's successor as captain.

And yet it just won't feel the same for this fierce competitor until he's finally thrust back into the thick of the battle.

He nodded: "I must admit there was an element of feeling as if I was on the outside looking in. It's not really the same unless you're out there with the rest of the boys.

"Yes, I celebrated with the best of them but doing the bouncy doesn't quite feel the same when you're wearing your club suit and tie!

"Don't get me wrong, I was delighted for everyone but there's still that feeling that you're not really a part of it.

"It was different at Tannadice because, although I wasn't playing, I did feel as if I had contributed to the title success as I played 11 games before I picked up my injury.

"But the Cup Final was different because I didn't feel as if I deserved a pat on the back for that. The rest of the lads won that for the club and I felt like a bit of a fraud being out there with them.

"But it just makes me more determined to be a part of it all again at the end of next season."

Even from his seat in the stand at Tannadice Thomson says he learned a lot about the special bond which has underpinned Rangers' march back to the top of the Scottish game.

He said: "We sat in one of the boxes at Tannadice behind the glass. In the first couple of minutes Steve Davis got in behind the full-back and cut the ball across goal. Every single one of us was on our feet. We had lost all realisation that the place was full of United fans and families.

"I think they thought we were a wee bit rowdy but they appreciated our emotions were running high and we were very excited.

"But that showed me something too. There must have been about 15 of us in that box and every one of us was so caught up in it all we might as well have been out on the pitch.

"That shows the togetherness we have a squad. That's what Walter Smith has brought to the club."

So much so, in fact, that Thomson will be only too happy to put his own dreams of the captaincy on hold for just as long as DavieWeiris atIbrox.

He has been tipped by many to take over Weir's duties as soon as he is back to fitness but believes the team leadership could not be in better hands.

He said: "I'll happily put all that on the back burner just so long as Davie is still here at the club.

"The way Davie has been playing he could still be our captain in three years.

"I'm sure all the boys will be delighted if he hangs around for a year or two yet."

:spl:

Yes, I celebrated with the best of them but doing the bouncy doesn't quite feel the same when you're wearing your club suit and tie

Dunno why, but that was my favourite line.

That and some other comments give the impression he'll be extra motivated to "earn" it next time. Not that he didn't contribute significantly this time.

That is a couple of times in the last couple of days he has been interviewed. Anyone get the feeling he is being trotted out to see how he copes as the "voice" of Rangers ? Part of me thinks this is somewhat of an "interview" to determine that he should be captain.

I have to say that he seems to speak very intelligently and says the right things. Makes comments which make you think "good for you" - the bouncy one being one as it somehow shows he is a fan and I liked the comment about them being in the box amongst Utd fans and being "rowdy" but that the Utd fans "appreciated" that emotions were running high - almost a dignified way of saying that they were probably a touch OTT but it wasnt seen as an issue.

I cant quite put my finger on it, but he seems to have all the necessary attributes to be a Rangers Captain.

I cant quite put my finger on it, but he seems to have all the necessary attributes to be a Rangers Captain.

Agreed. He ticks all the right boxes imo. Great player that gives his all & concentrates on his game, Intelligent, speaks when spoken to. Definitely a gentleman & a worthy Rangers captain & star if we can hold on to him.

The type of player we've been missing since Stuart McCall. Goes about his business quietly but effectively. Can talk a good game too by the sounds of it. Hopefully, WS now realises this guy is a huge part of Rangers and doesn't try to flog him off to shite in The Championship.