Just say Tevez stayed at West Ham until he retired on a weekly wage of �£70k. I doubt he'd struggle financially when he retired at the age of 35ish.

To be getting paid 200k+ that he is on is ridiculous but I suppose Man Shitty are to blame for paying him that.

Correct. Man City are to blame for paying him that.

You are right in that he wouldnt be struggling financially were he to stay at West ham on 70k a week. However, at 200k that is a 130k a week increase or 6.76 million a year more. Would you honestly expect him to turn that down ?

It is all relative - we talk in absolute numbers and when those numbers are far higher than what we ourselves could imagine then we believe that someone is nothing more than a money grabber and we lose respect for them.

However, I would doubt if any of us got a wage increase offer of 185% that we would turn it down just to be nobel.

If you are on, say 30k a year, and you were offered a different job which would pay you 85k a year do you honestly believe you would turn down the higher offer ?

Yeh, the old excuse about short careers is not really valid now that mediocre footballers earn more in a week than the national average yearly wage. (obviously does not apply so much to lower leagues or poorer countries).

Why isnt it valid ? It IS a short career. Regardless of what they get paid are they not entitled to look after their long-term future ? And if so, why should we lose respect for them when, by taking the higher financial reward, that is exactly what they are doing ?

Also, whether we like it or not, most (not all) footballers who earn huge wages have a far different lifestyle to the rest of us, which means a far more expensive lifestyle in most cases. I am not advocating it and, yes, they COULD cut back, but that is the reality we live in.

And in Tevez' case it could easily be argued that he sees the potential in Man City. And if he has a young family that he doesnt want to shift from place to place then should we not have MORE respect for him for taking that course of action ?

Bit of a bizarre one this. Met three Man City fans in Ibiza a couple of weeks ago, upon discussing the multitude of attacking players they have they said they didn't really need Tevez and it was a buy just to show the rest of the world that they now have a healthy bank balance. More disturbing to those lads was the lack of defensive players being bought. Richard Dunne isn't good enough they told me and now with Vincent Kompany set to miss the start of the season are they lining up John Terry ??

I think with the plans the owners have they needed to make a statement. They would have bought Ronaldo if they honestly felt they had a chance of getting him. They needed to show their cards and make a big-ticket signing. Tevez does that.

Will he be enough to have world-class players follow suit ? Who knows.

They seem to be doing a Real Madrid by singing lots of attacking players and ignoring the defensive side - but if they need to make a statement which shows the public and the game that they mean business then attacking players have more PR appeal.

They definitely need to balance the playing squad though - but good defenders somehow seem easier to come by than good strikers.

Why isnt it valid ? It IS a short career. Regardless of what they get paid are they not entitled to look after their long-term future ? And if so, why should we lose respect for them when, by taking the higher financial reward, that is exactly what they are doing ?

Also, whether we like it or not, most (not all) footballers who earn huge wages have a far different lifestyle to the rest of us, which means a far more expensive lifestyle in most cases. I am not advocating it and, yes, they COULD cut back, but that is the reality we live in.

And in Tevez' case it could easily be argued that he sees the potential in Man City. And if he has a young family that he doesnt want to shift from place to place then should we not have MORE respect for him for taking that course of action ?

I wasn't referring to Tevez with my post really, just a general comment the wages/short career argument. I think you;ve made a decent case for Tevez going to Man City in terms of the club's aspirations, even if I still think it's a crock of shit you could still reasonably make your argument.

I don't have to try and see it from the footballers point of view. I'm not a multi-millionaire paid to do what I love with a cushy playboy lifestyle, so fuck them I don't need to "go easy on them".

As a fan who as part of the collective of the games supporters pays their obscene wages I think it's fair enough to talk about this wages and the BS excuse they use for being money grabbing bastards and showing no loyalty.

Short career my arse.

1 year at �£10,000 a week is �£520,000.

A career of 10-15 years will earn them �£5-8 mil. And that's not to mention bonuses, sponsorship etc.

Whats the average UK wage? Not even �£25k pa I guess but we'll use that:

25k at (65-18= 47) 47 years = �£1.175mil.

I'm not saying their not well within their rights to get the best deal for them.

But when your average man who supports their lifestyle earns less in a lifetime than many earn in a year we don't need to respect them for making their decisions based solely on money.

Put it this way, I'd happily play at Rangers for �£2grand a week for my career. And yeh I know i'm not in their position and can't say, but I would value loyalty and opportunities to win silverware over money alone.

As I have admitted I'm not in a position to have to make such a choice. But look at Kaka, didn't take the silly money at Man City. Took the slightly less (but still silly) money at Real because of the greater chance to win things and the prestige of playing for Real.

Howlong will it take you to get the film developed and then scanned Jon ? They don't have digital up your way yet do they ? :devil:

Depends if we are staying the night there or if I'm driving us back. they will be there the day after guaranteed......

Hoping to stay for a bit so the kids can meet some of the players and get autographs. Will be the first game for both kids.

I wasn't referring to Tevez with my post really, just a general comment the wages/short career argument. I think you;ve made a decent case for Tevez going to Man City in terms of the club's aspirations, even if I still think it's a crock of shit you could still reasonably make your argument.

I don't have to try and see it from the footballers point of view. I'm not a multi-millionaire paid to do what I love with a cushy playboy lifestyle, so fuck them I don't need to "go easy on them".

As a fan who as part of the collective of the games supporters pays their obscene wages I think it's fair enough to talk about this wages and the BS excuse they use for being money grabbing bastards and showing no loyalty.

Short career my arse.

1 year at �£10,000 a week is �£520,000.

A career of 10-15 years will earn them �£5-8 mil. And that's not to mention bonuses, sponsorship etc.

Whats the average UK wage? Not even �£25k pa I guess but we'll use that:

25k at (65-18= 47) 47 years = �£1.175mil.

I'm not saying their not well within their rights to get the best deal for them.

But when your average man who supports their lifestyle earns less in a lifetime than many earn in a year we don't need to respect them for making their decisions based solely on money.

Put it this way, I'd happily play at Rangers for �£2grand a week for my career. And yeh I know i'm not in their position and can't say, but I would value loyalty and opportunities to win silverware over money alone.

As I have admitted I'm not in a position to have to make such a choice. But look at Kaka, didn't take the silly money at Man City. Took the slightly less (but still silly) money at Real because of the greater chance to win things and the prestige of playing for Real.

After your rant do you feel any better ? :devil:

The reality is that you really shouldn't take your ire out on the players - it is the club that is offering the players those wages so why should the player refuse them ?

Was Tevez offered a deal at any of the "prestigious" clubs ? Lets exclude Man U because I think he was well within his rights to feel disappointed they didnt offer him a deal.

I am not convinced you would play for Rangers for 2k a week to be honest. If you were the best player in the team and getting 2k a week whilst poorer players are getting 20k a week you would sit in silence ? I doubt it.

There are players already at Rangers who are as big a fan as you or I (Boyd, Broadfoot to name but two) and look at Broadfoot's scenario. Big Rangers fan but wanted a pay raise to be in line with other's of similar standing. I would suspect we would mostly all do the same.

BTW, 2k a week for a 10 year career is not that much money - yes 1 million quid seems a lot but you will lose 40% tax (or somewhere close to that) and if you have NO education behind you then that remaining 600k won't last you that long when you retire at 35.

At the end of the debate though I still believe that the frustration should be at the club management, not the players. it is the management that are paying ridiculous amounts of money to these players. And in Tevez case there is NO WAY any other club would have offered him that amount of money, not even close. So the Man City management overpaid on wages. Therein lies the blame.

Sure, someone like Kaka doing what he did shows a nobel deed. But to use him as a comparison is folly IMO - why ? Because he is one of, I would suspect, a very small minority who wouldn't have chased the silly money.

Football, IMO, is in a very precarious position because I just cant see the astronomical transfer fees and wages being sustainable long-term. Even the EPL may see a bubble burst - average Joe is losing his job left, right and centre and they may see that attendances will dwindle.

After your rant do you feel any better ? :devil:

The reality is that you really shouldn't take your ire out on the players - it is the club that is offering the players those wages so why should the player refuse them ?

Was Tevez offered a deal at any of the "prestigious" clubs ? Lets exclude Man U because I think he was well within his rights to feel disappointed they didnt offer him a deal.

I am not convinced you would play for Rangers for 2k a week to be honest. If you were the best player in the team and getting 2k a week whilst poorer players are getting 20k a week you would sit in silence ? I doubt it.

There are players already at Rangers who are as big a fan as you or I (Boyd, Broadfoot to name but two) and look at Broadfoot's scenario. Big Rangers fan but wanted a pay raise to be in line with other's of similar standing. I would suspect we would mostly all do the same.

BTW, 2k a week for a 10 year career is not that much money - yes 1 million quid seems a lot but you will lose 40% tax (or somewhere close to that) and if you have NO education behind you then that remaining 600k won't last you that long when you retire at 35.

At the end of the debate though I still believe that the frustration should be at the club management, not the players. it is the management that are paying ridiculous amounts of money to these players. And in Tevez case there is NO WAY any other club would have offered him that amount of money, not even close. So the Man City management overpaid on wages. Therein lies the blame.

Sure, someone like Kaka doing what he did shows a nobel deed. But to use him as a comparison is folly IMO - why ? Because he is one of, I would suspect, a very small minority who wouldn't have chased the silly money.

Football, IMO, is in a very precarious position because I just cant see the astronomical transfer fees and wages being sustainable long-term. Even the EPL may see a bubble burst - average Joe is losing his job left, right and centre and they may see that attendances will dwindle.

With my way with words and personality i'd then embark on a tv career. I'd be fine. :thup:

Some fair points. I'm just not gonna pretend to feel sorry for someone for only getting �£70k rather than �£200k a week or other inumerable situations you could pick from football.

With the obscene money they earn and the fact their careers are so long they should be investing for the future, not allowing clubs to continue to the take the pish out of fans. :P

With my way with words and personality i'd then embark on a tv career. I'd be fine.

Some fair points. I'm just not gonna pretend to feel sorry for someone for only getting �£70k rather than �£200k a week or other inumerable situations you could pick from football.

With the obscene money they earn and the fact their careers are so long they should be investing for the future, not allowing clubs to continue to the take the pish out of fans.

Aye but could you remain unbiased ? :devil: Let's not forget some of us have had the displeasure of seeing you on the TV :fish:

I dont think the debate is about feeling sorry for anyone, is it ? I was defending his right to head for the money (that isnt feeling sorry for him) and I would say most of us, in similar circumstances, would do the same (and that is ignoring other possible reasons for him staying in the North West).

But that is the crux, it is the CLUBS taking the pish out of the fans. The players are, indirectly, doing so too but at the end of the day they are employees and most employees want the most they can earn for themselves.

But it is also a catch 22. The clubs want to be successful or, at the very least, remain in the top flight. for clubs like City to strive for that success they will have to spend more on wages than other prestigious clubs because, lets face it, if a player is wanted by Man U or Man City on the same wages they would likely go for Man U as there is a better chance of winning things (unless, of course, the said player wants to be almost guaranteed 1st team football....). If the player is confident in their ability that they will get 1st team football then they would go to Man U. So how do man City compete with that ? They have to offer something else and pretty much the only other thing they can offer is higher wages.

It would then be up to the club to manage these wages somehow within their revenue structure. There is no way Man City will do that so...... it would be nice if the management of the club told fans that there would be no hike in prices (dont know if they have or havent) - that would give the City fans the same price to watch their team as last year but with, more than likely, much better players on display, probably better football to watch and, very likely better results too.