This summer may prove to be unique in the long and glorious history of the Rangers. It would require a bear older than myself to remember the last time we began a new season without strengthening the first team squad during the off-season with incoming transfers. In fact, the only business being completed at Ibrox was the removal of a few high earners from the wage bill. The likes of Ferguson, Hemdani and Dailly have left and have yet to be replaced.

This should come as no surprise to us all. Even as last season was drawing to its exciting conclusion, Walter Smith was ominous in his warnings to the fans. The first team squad would be reduced to around 20 and supplemented by players from the youth squad like Fleck, Wilson and Shinnie. With the inability to agree deals for the likes of Adam and Gow, the squad has not been reduced sufficiently to allow any incoming transfers.

The dearth of incoming transfer news within the media in addition to the moves being made across the city led to much agitation amongst our support. In a previous article published nearly 3 weeks ago, I urged fans to be patient and not to over react to the situation. Many fans were furious that Celtic had spent circa �£7mil (including on their new management team) whilst we had yet to make any moves and to date have only earned a fee from the sale of Barry Ferguson.

It is natural that, with the league being a relatively tight affair last year, fans would compare our attempts to strengthen with that of the side who are traditionally our closest challengers. However, whilst we have competed almost head to head for the SPL title for the last decade or two, that aside the situations at the two clubs could not be more different.

Celtic began this season is a state of disarray, sacking a more successful manager than Martin O’Neill because their fans required someone “Celtic Minded”. Key first team players Hesselink, Nakamura and Hartley have been moved on and the replacements have yet to settle. This was most notable in the performance of Fortune in Celtic’s opening competitive game of the season where they fell to defeat in the home leg of their European qualifier. Fortune missed a couple of sitters that had he scored would have given Celtic a fighting chance of qualification.

Now, of course, it is too early to be drawing any conclusions on the player’s they have added to their pool this close season but it does bring me neatly on to the main reason for penning this article. Whilst fans bemoaned the spending power of our city neighbours including the Ã?£4million buy of Fortune, in the article previously linked I cautioned against the time needed for new signings to settle. Although we all recognise that we are one or two signings away from a strong squad, the benefits of a relatively settled and stable squad should not be underestimated. Continuity in the squad and in team selection means the players get to learn each other's games inside out and the rewards are reaped on the football field.

Since first having the initial thoughts for this article it proved excellent timing that World Class manager Arsene Wenger has spoken out in the media with comments that support my viewpoint:

In England, people think all problems can be sorted out by buying players.

The biggest target is to work hard in training, improve what we can improve and have confidence in the players that we have.

It is perhaps fitting that the Frenchman was speaking out about this just after I decided to pen this piece. The excellent spectacle that was this year's Emirates tournament was the ideal setting to prove Wenger's assertion. In Walter's first season he made us difficult to beat through defensive strength. Last year Smith turned us into title contenders. And the signs from the ties against PSG and Arsenal this weekend point to the experienced manager taking the next step in the squad's evolution without the addition of fresh faces. We again adopted the 4-5-1 formation favoured by Smith when competing against a higher calibre opponent, but the major difference this weekend was that we had the attacking wide players to break into a 4-3-3 in possession and play attractive, passing football.

Last season (as for the last couple of seasons) we have had the highest quality squad in Scotland as evidenced by our League and Cup double. We have lost a few players who made little to no contribution last year and were most likely to have a similar contribution in the forthcoming campaign. We have hardly weakened our squad at all, whilst the likes of Kyle Lafferty, Pedro Mendes and John Fleck have all had a further full season in Scotland to help settle them into the game up here. I, like many fans, will be expecting a more consistent contribution from Mendes and Lafferty in particular.

In addition to the greater experience of a number of the players within the squad, we have the returns of Thomson, Naismith and Stevie Smith to bolster the squad. We finally have some realistic competition at left back for the consistent Bosnian, Sasa Papac. We are very strong in central midfield especially when Maurice Edu, who had an impressive end to the season last year, returns from injury. The wealth of options up front, at least for the domestic game, is incredible. We have speed, height, power, work rate and goals from different forwards. You may struggle to find another club with the goalkeeping option of McGregor or Alexander.

Sure, left midfield continues to prove problematic. We have half a dozen players who can fill that position, but not one who has made it their own. We can counter this with a change in formation to a midfield diamond. Or perhaps one of the players within the squad will step forward and command a starting berth on the left.

And again, we start a season concerned over our centre backs. Can Davie Weir play another full season at the heart of the defence? After playing 60 games 2 seasons ago as we marched to the final day of every competition we entered it was the consensus opinion that he could not stand up to another full season of football. Weir powered his way to another 47 games (more than any other player in the squad) including all but 2 league games and shows no signs of letting up. That said, we would all prefer competition for the first choice pair of Weir and Bougherra.

Arsene Wenger is obviously a strong believer that buying new players is not the only way to improve your squad year on year. And looking at Celtic’s disastrous opening to the season it is clear that having to begin a new era at a club by ripping up the previous squad to create a new team, even when backed by the money men at the club, is a gamble. Spending money is no guarantee of success.

If we have to begin the upcoming season with essentially the same pool of players that won the double last year I will not be concerned. Walter Smith has previously demonstrated the veracity of Wenger’s assertion that you can improve your team with work on the training field and not just at the negotiating table. When Smith took over the national team from Berti Vogts the country was a laughing stock ranked in the 70s or 80s. Whilst Vogts handed out caps to over 40 different players Smith again demonstrated the effectiveness of consistency, finding his best squad and dragging the national team back up the rankings and heart-breakingly close to qualification for the World Cup. He followed that up by leading us to the top of our qualifying group for the European Championships including a victory over the World Cup runners-up France.

I am not trying to suggest that a lack of transfer funds makes Smith’s job easier. Of course any manager can benefit from a transfer kitty if he spends it right. However consistency of selection also strengthens a squad’s assault on the silverware and the team that Smith has been building since he returned to the club has been growing as a unit season upon season and team unity will have never been higher. Regardless of what does or doesn’t happen in the transfer market this year I am eagerly anticipating another successful season under the guidance of the legendary Walter Smith.

Edited by Super_Ally

Spending big in the transfer market won't automatically win you success. Take WS in his first stint in charge at Rangers, he spent big on players and we wiped the floor domestically but when it came europe we struggled. Maybe that was down to tactics though.

Kenny Dalglish won the EPL with Blackburn after basically buying it but the next season they were terrible in europe too. Tactics do play a huge part in a teams success.

You do need to work hard in training but I'm not 100% convinced WS uses the best training techniques to improve players attributes or nurture the youngsters. Wenger has this spot on.

Personally, WS comes across a bit pre-historic when it comes to tactics and training.

Davie Weir is a legend, I love the big guy but against a good team (Arsenal) he stands no chance. He's not solely to blame for yesterdays performance but having a younger, faster CB in there to partner Boogie could've made a difference. Against better teams who play faster football, Weir doesn't stand much of a chance.

My opinion though.

An excellent balanced article which sums up the situation for me.

Of course we need to strengthen. But only where absolutely necessary and in line with our financial obligations.

At the same time though, this can't be a regular thing. We'll need to buy again at some point and it is imperative that the club re-examines its strategy to enable us to do that effectively.

Spending big in the transfer market won't automatically win you success. Take WS in his first stint in charge at Rangers, he spent big on players and we wiped the floor domestically but when it came europe we struggled. Maybe that was down to tactics though.

Kenny Dalglish won the EPL with Blackburn after basically buying it but the next season they were terrible in europe too. Tactics do play a huge part in a teams success.

You do need to work hard in training but I'm not 100% convinced WS uses the best training techniques to improve players attributes or nurture the youngsters. Wenger has this spot on.

Personally, WS comes across a bit pre-historic when it comes to tactics and training.

Davie Weir is a legend, I love the big guy but against a good team (Arsenal) he stands no chance. He's not solely to blame for yesterdays performance but having a younger, faster CB in there to partner Boogie could've made a difference. Against better teams who play faster football, Weir doesn't stand much of a chance.

My opinion though.

Several very good points there.

Regards the Wenger - Smith comparison you have made two seperate points there I feel.

1) Inability to bring youngsters through. Hard to disagree with this one based on his first and second terms. The smaller squad size this year may force him to bring through more young players, but does he get credit for something he is forced to do? We are obviously no where near as adept at this as Arsenal, but we do have a fairly young squad atm supplemented with a few older heads.

2) Training techniques and tactics. Walter's first tenure showed a tactical naivety and this was largely why the money spent for domestic success did not transfer to Europe. With the run to the UEFA cup final (even allowing for Kaunus) Smith has shown he has grown and developed as a manager.

Also the transformation of the national team after the disastrous Vogts era suggests Smith is more savvy on the training ground than we give him credit for.

Allowing Adam Owen autonomy over the physical conditioning of the squad also shows a more advanced approach to the game rather than being a dinosaur. Utilising expertise for the right roles.

Lastly, Weir. Whilst he may very well struggle against the cream of Europe, is there anyone out there we can afford who and attract who could dislodge him from the team? We certainly need cover, but could we bring in anyone to immediately take a first team spot? Doubtful, but we should of course be trying.

My opinion though.

Cant agree more. As much as i like the big guy i fear he will be a liability next season, especially in the champions league. Hopefully we will see danny wilson getting a runout but i fully expect walter to side with his favourites and play the likes of Mcculloch instead.

1 volunteer is worth 10 pressed men - an old military adage.

If you relate this in footballing terms then we should be quite well off.

I believe Rangers and celtic have been the best teams in Scotland due to the fact that most young Scottish boys who want to play professionally want to play for them. Many in fact would play for nothing such is their desire.

The players WE have at present are mostly playing for the jersey and certainly not for the big bucks. They have heart and all are fully committed to the Club.

I wonder how many Man. City players will be playing solely for the jersey and not for the �£100k plus.

Whenever a player comes in, his commitment must be tested, especially if he is from another country .

Craig Moore coming off the field laughing having been gubbed by celtic comes to mind as does Tore Andre Flow, I can't remember him busting a gut for the Club. These are but 2 examples of mercenary players.

It's all about the right man at the right price and not buying someone who comes with a big price tag so he must be good.

I think WS is right to "stick", for the moment anyway.

Good players with great commitment and great coaching can make a great team, and you can't buy that and I also think that most players nowadays, especially from the big leagues, are seriously overpriced. ie. Darren Bent �£15m FFS

1 volunteer is worth 10 pressed men

I like that saying.

Very good point Gordy.

It's certainly true that if you have player's motivated to do well for themselves, for the team and because they want to win (intrinsic motivation) that is far better when the motivation is extrinsic. What happens to the players motivated by money if you take the money away (e.g. bonuses) or if they decide they have too much money.

As you suggest we have good players, committed to the cause with a good coaching staff. The confidence and the togetherness in the squad is high. If we were in Celtic's situation of new management, building a new squad, spending a load of money to renew the squad would break up this team unity. Sure a few additions would have been welcome, but the benefit of squad harmony should not be underestimated.