Kilmarnock 1 Burnley 0

Blackburn 0 Hibs 0

Dundee Utd 1-1 Newcastle

Spurs 0-2 celtic

Hearts 1-1 Bolton

4.5 v 3.5

SPL wins 8.5 to 7.5. :spl:

Perhaps our league is not as backward as some think. :whistle:

If the same fixtures had to be played as competitive matches, the EPL would hammer the SPL.

Based on what evidence? Teams on paper?

A one off friendly doesn't mean much as anything can happen but when you put a whole string of them together then the trend starts to mean something.

I always thing that a series of friendlies gives more credible evidence than the mere opinion of one person. English people used to tell me all the time how Rangers and Celtic would be relegated from the EPL if they entered. They even predicted a thrashing by Leeds which failed to materialise, they then continued to spew the same guff afterwards saying Leeds were crap that year.

The fact is that Leeds were doing well till we gubbed them and hadn't lost at home for about a year and a half.

They say the same stuff now due to the TV money but forget that if we played in the EPL we'd get the same money. We'd struggle at first but after a few years we would likely be up there challenging at least in the top 8.

If the EPL can hammer the SPL then surely even the EPL's worst and most lackluster displays by their weakest teams should result in a win against the SPL's strongest teams playing at their best?

I'm not saying that most of the SPL could compete in the EPL but the evidence suggests that the gap is not as big as many English would like to believe.

The fact is that the SPL have shown for years against the OF that they can give a top British side a run for their money and the odd bloody nose.

However, they are totally crap against the most pathetic of European teams.

It seems the SPL have honed the backs to wall, hit on the break against superior sides tactics to a fine art, but it just doesn't work against teams nearer or below their level - which is why they all pretty much beat each other with little rhyme or reason and can't cope in Europe. It also explains division one's great record in the cups.

I think it's the result of our league being totally focused on the OF.

Only thing I would add is that in some of these friendlies the EPL featured their squad players rather than first choices. After all, we are not likely to forget that Rangers were not at full strength v. Portsmouth.

In reply to Calscot, I was wondering the same thing about say Falkirk v. Vaduz - think you have a good theory there as to why they all crumble in Europe.

Birmingham

Bolton

Burnley

Hull

Portsmouth

Stoke

Sunderland

West Ham

Wigan

Wolves

That is half of the famous and lauded English Premier League, who thinks we would be relegated?

I think that our depleted squad of today could easily get the 40 points necessary to survive in the EPL from just the home and away matches against that lot.

And that is without their TV share.

Seriously, not one of those teams would be leaving Ibrox with a point, and we would win, in my baised and humble opinion, at least half of those away games.