During the NIAR years, nobody bothered about the money side. Everything was rolling along quite nicely thank you and we trusted the people in charge of our club to continue to run it sensibly as we had no reason not to.

The Bosman ruling, the advent of Sky etc and the cash in the champions League suddenly meant that there was a lot more money in the game. Rangers' wage bill rocketed from �£7.6m in 1994 to �£34.2m just 6 years later.

During the Advocaat years some concerns were raised by a few as they didn't like the look of what was happening, but were reassured by the directors of the club that they would not allow the borrowing to get out of control, and given their track record there wasn't any reason to think that they were lying when, BANG, we were �£70 million+ in debt and everybody woke up to the fact that the money side was, perhaps, important.

Since then, our lack of cash has dominated our approach, and fans have had to become more interested. The internet, and message boards like this one has allowed the dissemination of information and allowed people to read or even debate on subjects that they would previously have had little interest. Guys like Boss, Carino and hopefully myself have tried to pass on information in a user friendly manner to allow people to have an understanding of what is going on, without having to pore over a set of complicated accounts.

This is going to continue to be an issue as Rangers and Celtic try to compete with the best in Europe while surviving in a backwater. The financial side of football is like a genie out of a bottle. It's out and it's here to stay.

I fear for the day that in the future people will be getting Barcelona tv instead of turning up at Ibrox.

I fear that day is here already.

And we have no to blame but ourselves. I was showing a pal my old scrapbook t'other night, and there's a ticket for us v Borussia back in the 80s. 3GBP. I know the 80s is as remote to those under 30 as the 60s seemed to me when I were a lad, but the increase in price measured against the increase in quality (in my eyes, a masive decrease in truth) doesn't add up, if you'll excuse the pun.

Added to which, is the attraction of a far superior product immediately available in England. Look at the number of dads who took their boys to London last week - so many people have said "so and so was really looking forward to it, because he's an Arsenal fan as well" - having an English 2nd team is nothing new but I detect a slide toward having equality between the English team and the Rangers.

What are we aiming at, pricing mediocre Scottish football at such levels? Are we trying to follow the English lead, and entice a middle class clientele into the ground? Ignoring the smaller size of such a demographic here, are they so ready to enter into our culture at the ground? I fear not. So instead of an expanding, affluent customer base, added to the core support, we have the core support alone, being squeezed tighter and tighter.

Adding insult to injury, the club then proscribes certain activity amongst the core support - I'm no businessman but this seems pointless.

Is there any way back from this brink? I can't see one. Should the club downsize to a realistic pricing policy, pay less for players and bring through their own, the end result will be we become even more of a selling club than we are already. Under the current repetitive and unenticing set up, it's a lose lose lose scenario. Unless the European League comes about - which I might add, has been mooted since the early 90s and seems no nearer than ever - we're done for.

Well guys I have to say the input on this thread is excellent. It would be magnificent if a big club like RFC could buck the trend and genuinely re-emerge in the guise a lot of people would prefer to see. Supporter input in real life as well as on-line is essential; it's never been clearer.