Skysports.com understands Liverpool are closing in on a shock move for former Rangers defender Sotiris Kyrgiakos.

Liverpool are in the market for defensive reinforcements and it is believed they have lined up a move for AEK stopper Kyrgiakos.

The Reds have been linked with the likes of Stoke's Ryan Shawcross and Hull's Michael Turner, but Kyrgiakos appears to be a cheaper option for Rafa Benitez.

With reports of Benitez having his transfer budget restricted Liverpool have switched their attentions to Kyrgiakos and they are believed to have agreed a ââ??¬3million (Ã?£2.5million) fee with AEK for the 30-year-old.

Kyrgiakos is understood to have said his goodbyes to his AEK team-mates and is now thought to be travelling to England to hold talks with Liverpool officials and undergo a medical.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_5498803,00.html

I doubt that will ever happen.

I do like Ryan Shawcross a lot though, i'm a big admirer of his abilities and was hoping we would have been able to have sneeked him under the radar as a replacement for Weir. An ex Man utd youth player with a point to prove could have done very well with us.

But the secrets out by the looks of it.

Michael Turner too. I watched him with great interest last season. Apparantly he began his career as an Inter Milan youth player before being bounded around the lower leagues of England, until Hull were clever enough to spot his talent.

I saw a figure of �£12m quid for Turner. Way 0TT but nevertheless he is a classy defender.

Eck signed some right shiters in his time, but for me he made some terrific signings in that 2004/05 season - Prso, Novo, Andrews, Waterreus, Buffel, Vignal, Kyrgyiakos. His best season signings-wise by a mile IMO.

EDIT:- How could I forget Mr Boumsong.

Edited by Norris Cole

I doubt if Kyrgyiakos will be any good in England. The guy was more a wrestler than a footballer. If you cut his arms off he will lose every tackle As he was, he was far too naive for the premiership. He may have improved but Greece and England is a different level.

What's the chances of someone cutting his arms off though Pete? I reckon he'll have them for a good few years yet.

Do you know how many second hand shops there are in Liverpool. When they try and shut them down people get up in arms. Worth keeping an eye on the situation.:)

This is happening. Benitez confirmed this evening that the only thing holding up this deal is a medical. Soti flies in tomorrow (Thursday) to undergo that medical. He will go straight into the squad for the Aston Villa game on Monday.