Walt�s playing numbers game to perfection

SOME look at it as the beginning of the end.

They see it as a terrible state of affairs.

It's viewed as a sorry situation which will spell disaster for Rangers in the months ahead.

They've let a whole team of players go in the last year and not brought in one single signing.

It's an amazing stat if looked at in isolation.

It's also something Ibrox fans may feel will only have a detrimental impact to their hopes of making inroads at home and abroad.

My inclination is to think the total opposite.

For me, it's just what Rangers need - right across the board.

Losing players hasn't weakened Rangers.

On the contrary, it's strengthened them.

First things first, Walter Smith's squad was too big.

He had far too many players with the task of keeping them all happy a virtually impossible one.

If anyone could do it, it was Walter. His man-management style is legendary having been there and done it with top class players for the majority of his career.

He'll know better than anyone how to say all the right things to players on the fringes but it's not easy.

Players look into every little detail when teams are picked and bibs are handed out during training sessions and practice games.

Even the slightest hint they're not in the first 11 and they can be unsettled. All of a sudden the manager has a headache he doesn't need.

That's a risk a club runs when they have a squad which is much bigger than it needs to be.

Advertisement

Simply because everyone can't play at the one time.

I'm not just talking about the Saturday games when the squad list goes up on the board.

It's day to day when training sessions can become a waste of time as there are too many bodies.

The ideal number from a coaching point of view is 20 first-team outfielders and Rangers seem to be there.

For me they're maybe just one player short of an ideal situation and that's because of circumstance.

Kirk Broadfoot's injury has robbed them of cover needed in defence.

It would amaze me if Walter didn't bring in another central defender before this transfer window closes. He'll also be keen to ensure he doesn't lose any of his key men.

But if things stay as they Rangers are not in such a bad state. The current situation also does something for the club which can only help them in the long-term.

It sends out a message to every youngster there which says: Now is your chance.

Murray Park was built for the progression of youth and it's not done too badly in the last few years.

Alan Hutton's �£9million move to Spurs virtually justified the place in one deal. Other lesser moves like Charlie Adam to Blackpool for �£500,000 and Ross McCormack to Doncaster for �£100,000 have helped.

Now the boys in there have been given an incentive like never before.

They don't need to bang on the manager's door to ask if they're going to get an opportunity. It's there in front of them. They need to grasp it and make sure it doesn't pass them by.

In the past the accusation has been that Rangers have signed players instead of rearing their own. Those days are gone.

http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/2599339/Walts-playing-numbers-game-to-perfection.html

Guest ewan mcteagle

One thing puzzles me re the current squad- Why send Webster on loan when we're a bit light in central defence? If he's deemed not good enough then move him on but we've paid his wages to play in the reserves for ages and no sign of a first team appearance. Anyone enlighten me?

One thing puzzles me re the current squad- Why send Webster on loan when we're a bit light in central defence? If he's deemed not good enough then move him on but we've paid his wages to play in the reserves for ages and no sign of a first team appearance. Anyone enlighten me?

Baffles me as well, I had hoped to see him get fit and pushing for the first team as I do rate him :confused:

The Webster situation is a strange one as he could be the ideal successor to Weir. Obviously he's had a lot of injury problems and as we've seen with Stevie Smith and then Naismith last season that can make it difficult for the player to get into the team.

It's possible he's been sent out on loan to get some 1st team football and build up his match fitness and if all goes well he'll be back with us next year.

On the other hand, it could be that with our current financial situation and our need to reduce the wage bill, he was one of the only fringe players anyone was interested in. Also, I'm sure I read that United have an option to make the loan deal permanent :confused:

Murray Park was built for the progression of youth and it's not done too badly in the last few years.

Alan Hutton's �£9million move to Spurs virtually justified the place in one deal.

Would Alan Hutton have flourished if Rangers had been training at Ibrox? Or at Lesser Hampden? Or in Kinning Park? I’d like to think so. DId Murray Park make him the player he is? Did it really? Or was it a relatively short run of high profile games that got us the Ã?£9m?

This is positive spin, nothing more. I'd like to see a cost/benefit analysis of MP, taking the cost as the �£25m the Chairman recently said we've spent on it.

Would Alan Hutton have flourished if Rangers had been training at Ibrox? Or at Lesser Hampden? Or in Kinning Park? Iâ��d like to think so. DId Murray Park make him the player he is? Did it really? Or was it a relatively short run of high profile games that got us the �£9m?

This is positive spin, nothing more. I'd like to see a cost/benefit analysis of MP, taking the cost as the �£25m the Chairman recently said we've spent on it.

More like Walter tiding up the gigantic mess he left the club in after the Kuanas dibacle.