Walter's Way - Do the Ends Justify the Means

Once the euphoria of a 2-1 victory at Tynecastle had died down, yet again I was left pondering this very question. Sure, some may argue that a narrow hard fought victory at the home of our capital rivals is no great feat. However, the circumstances of the victory should be considered. Hearts are the perennial third force in Scottish football and a visit to Tynecastle is arguably the second most difficult match on the Rangers fixture calendar. We also have to bear in mind that a harsh red card for Kevin Thomson saw the rest of the team having to battle against a full strength Hearts team for over 80 minutes (including injury time).

Even more impressive than the result was the manner in which it was achieved. Viewers tuning in for the second half could be forgiven for thinking that it was Hearts that were competing with a man less as we dominated the second period and the last minute penalty, won by Naismith and converted by Boyd, was just rewards for our play.

Boyd�s late arrival onto the field of play was perplexing to myself as well as a number of other fans I have spoken with. With Celtic disposing of St Johnstone by a 3 goal margin the previous afternoon, 3 points at Tynecastle was imperative if we did not want to be playing catch up at this early stage. So, with a Hearts side struggling for results and confidence this season, it was a little disappointing that Smith did not make a positive or aggressive change at half time.

With his team down to 10 men, Smith decided to sacrifice the youthful energy and direct running of Fleck for the defensive grit of Stevie Smith in the midfield. His decision to leave Boyd on the bench, who had admittedly been struggling with illness through the week, appeared to lack ambition. To Walter�s credit however, the substitution and tactical switch changed the complexion of the game.

Stevie Smith, a natural left back, helped shore up a midfield reduced in numbers, but the diminutive left back also got forward well from his midfield berth and his deliveries were a constant thorn in Hearts rearguard. It was from a Smith delivery, albeit a set piece, that led to McCulloch�s opener. The much maligned former Wigan man is joint top scorer at Murray Park. And Steven Naismith was unfortunate not to add to his account for the season from another wicked Smith delivery.

The performance of Stevie Smith and indeed the dominance of Rangers in the second half more than justified Smith�s tactical changes and half time substitution. And, of course, it allowed Smith to retain the ace up his sleeve until he really needed him. The influential substitution of Smith for Fleck may in part have been forced by Boyd�s lack of match sharpness due to illness. Whatever the truth, the manager deserves the benefit of the doubt. And when he did finally introduce Boyd to the fray, the big Ayrshire man did what he does best.

With his first touch of the match, Boyd did what the forwards had struggled to do for large portions of the game. He got the better of the impressive Goncalves, winning an aerial joust and directing the ball on for the onrushing Naismith. Boyd�s former Kilmarnock strike partner drove into the box and although there was initial contact outside the box, the offending challenge occurred inside the box and for once referee Craig Thomson called it right as he pointed to the spot. Boyd has an enviable record from 12 yards and his winning goal was no more than his team mates deserved in outplaying a Hearts side with a numerical advantage.

Whilst Walter�s second tenure at the club has seen some remarkable results, some football purists have questioned the tactics that have secured the results and the trophies. On that impressive run to Manchester, even some Rangers diehards groaned at the brand of football. So after groaning at half time when Walter made what could be considered a negative change, in bringing off an exciting young forward player for a gritty left-back to bolster his midfield, I am left asking yet again: do the ends justify the means?

Damn right it does!

As long as the results and success keeps coming I'll be happy to trust his judgement...

Even though I found Smith's introduction on Saturday a bit strange it certainly worked and we were actually more attacking because we pushed Naismith up front alongside Miller.

Boyd timing was pretty good as well... ;)

Although we watch Rangers once or twice a week and think what we think, Walter see's them in training everyday, knows exactly what they are capable off.

Fed up when fans get on Walters back, some of the football we are playing this now is really good as well as some stuff last year. He always said to get things stable then work from there.

All you old yins would have witnessed Gazza, Cooper, Laudrup etc and playing great football. I have been going to the games for 7 seasons, under Smith is probably the best organised and footballing team i have witnessed of Rangers ! Hope it continues

I've always said that if you are unorthodox and get the results you look like a genius, however if you are unorthodox and don't get the results you look a fool who doesn't know the basics.

That's why I'll always think of Walter as one of our best Rangers managers and PLG as was the worst in our history.

The fact is that you can't really win anything by being orthodox. If everyone did the same thing they'd all get the same results. You have to be unorthodox to have an edge over the rest.

Managers are always making decisions that upset at least some of the fans, but if it was so easy for a fan to manage a club, why aren't they doing it? And why are we paying managers millions of pounds a year?

That's why I find it strange when fans overly question and criticise a manager who gets good results. To me, a manager should really be judged by his season long success rather than his day to day decisions.

I honestly believe we could be on the threshold of an exciting time in our history. I absolutely trust Walter Smith's ability to organise a side, make them hard to beat - that must go for everyone, I would think. But I also think he is proving to be a dab hand at blending younger players with this solid unit. His hands are tied, to an extent, far more than at other clubs because you and me are moany, greetin' faced bastards who'll girn and complain should we drop so much as a point. I'm as guilty as anyone of this, but it's not doing Walter or the players any favours!

I still hope, though, that we'll see Wilson this year; most likely in the League Cup and I hope there's some sort of statement that although we want to win it, it wouldn't be the end of the world should an experimental side lose; Fleck is clearly being developed and I must say, I can see why people rate him - I couldn't last year, so he's coming on already in my eyes; and there's the two lads who play for Northern Ireland, who ought to get a chance at least to show what they can do.

Fingers crossed for the future!

All good points guys.

I think Cal sums it up well. We all like to discuss the game as if we're experts. That's half the fun. We criticise and we give our opinions. But at the end of the day, if we really knew what was best we would be winning trophies and he'd be watching us from his arm chair.

I think it was myself an Craig, and indeed Frankie has agreed, that the Smith substitution appeared bizarre at half time. Yet look how it worked out.

there are parrallels to Alex Mcleishs escapade past the group stages a few years back. we were on a shoe string budget and no one gave us a fighting chance but defied the odds and made it through, deservidly so imo.

We even gave villareal a run for their money and had boyd taken the golden oppertunity that fell to him late on the game we could have went even further. I feel that that miss has hindered Boyd. It was a defining point in his career where he should have taken his game up another level but passed the opertunity by and instead struggles to achieve on the mainstage. Had he scored that night and i dont think he would have looked back.

My biggest fear is that smith is a one trick pony and will defend for his life again this time round. I just hope he learned his lesson after Kuanus.

The early signs have been good so far and we will have Novo, Lafferty and Mendes back in the squad making us even stronger in the comming weeks.

Take the game to them i say.