Short term selling Boyd now makes godo financial sense to the club (not me) and Smith obviously thinks, of our few saleable assets, he can do without Boyd.

Should he stay this window, he has no value to the club in forthcoming transfer windows unless we extend his contract.

I could be wrong S_A, but imo Walter Smith won't have had any choice in the matter when a bid for Boyd from Brum was accepted in January. The club needed to sell a player for financial reasons & a multi million pound deal came in for a player that Smith would have preferred to keep, but imo Smith didn't have a final say & he probably wasn't in a position to say 'no we're not selling Boyd'. Smith came out with some statements that insinuated he thought we would be fine without Boyd, but his hand was forced. Walter Smith isn't the type of person to turn round & say to the press that he wanted to keep Boyd but didn't have a choice. It would have made him look bad in that he wasn't 100% in control of the transfer decisions & made the club look bad in the sense that they were willing to sell players without the managers consent.

None of us know.

It was only a question Craig. It's ok to give your own personal opinions on MB's btw. FWIW, here's another question - If WS & AM didn't want to keep Boyd & he refused the Brum move as he did, what do think would have happened?

It was only a question Craig. It's ok to give your own personal opinions on MB's btw. FWIW, here's another question - If WS & AM didn't want to keep Boyd & he refused the Brum move as he did, what do think would have happened?

I know it was only a question Shroomz and I gave you my opinion to that question - which is none of us know what they felt :D

Even if they wanted shot of him they would be foolhardy to not have played him. In fact, if they wanted shot of him it would make sense to continue playing him to get him into the shop window for the summer transfer window.

The fact he played for the remainder of the season is not conclusive evidence of whether or not they wanted to keep him, in my opinion.

You've got to love a Boyd debate.

IMO one (thats one) of the reasons he didnt agree to join Birmingham is he would probably get found out playing at a higher level and wouldnt have cut it in the Premier league. He said his love of Rangers is his reason for staying - that may be true but if he knows he is going to be moved on in the next 12-18 months anyway then the move to Birmingham would have made financial sense for all parties.

Boyd would have trebled his wages and the club would have got a fee which would have helped us out, not to mention reducing the wages.

I agree with Cammy, if Boyd signs a new deal then he can refuse any move and stay at the club until it expires which will cost the club in wages. If he isnt part of WS and AM plans then there is no point giving him a deal. Novo is in the same boat, which to me is disappointing as he is our best impact player and does so in big games such as OF and Euro ties.

EDIT - another point Cammy made, this is the first year anyone can remember that we havent made 1 single signing which surely shows the dire situation we are in. The numbers out must be in double figures.

A player who would have been nice to get off the books would have been McGregor. We would have got a decent fee of at least 3.5M and had Alexander to step in. I thought McGregor was on his way to being a top keeper at the back end of 07/08 season but he hasnt found that form again.

Edited by Gribz

Even if they wanted shot of him they would be foolhardy to not have played him. In fact, if they wanted shot of him it would make sense to continue playing him to get him into the shop window for the summer transfer window.

Like Hemdani, Buffel, Beasley & Gow?

Boyd would have accepted the move to Brum unless he had been (privately) told he was wanted at Ibrox despite the offer having been accepted & that he'd be featuring in the team if he stayed. That's my simplified take on it.