Next Scotland Manager

To finish second in a group including the World Cup winners, runners-up and quarter-finalist represented a remarkable success, even more so considering the mess we had been in before.

The difference between Burley and the two managers you mention, is that the SFA's specific job remit for Burley was that Scotland qualify for the World Cup. He had the luck of the draw that neither of his predecessors enjoyed, yet he couldn't make the play-offs. In short, he failed.

As far as I can recall Smith's job remit was to rebuild the team after the Vogts shambles, and McLeish's to continue Smith's progress. At this, both were a success.

The next man in should have at the least consolidated on this success. Even if you like Burley as a man (and I don't dislike him), if you look at the bare facts, he has taken us backwards.

Agreed,also you actually felt confident before a game,whoever we were playing, that we could get a result. Prior to kick off last night I was dreading the game in case we got well humped,that's the difference between Smith,Eck & Burley

According to the papers Jim Jeffries 2nd fav for the job :eek:

God please No!

Get Souness in Now!!!

SFA Grow some balls

I was embarrassed enough typing Calderwood and Mcghee's names, Jefferies was in my mind but it would have ben for a joke! Thats worse than Robbie Fowler is having a medical at Ibrox!

Fraser, Burley is 110% NOT the man for this job following that campaign. A change is practically in the minds of everyone, if he continues then the whole country will groan and be against him again. I think he is a decent club manager and will do ok somewhere else but he has to go now.

Burley has done an average job as scotland manager, no better.

I don't know that he necessarily deserves the sack, but it should certainly be debated.

I was actually a Burley supporter until the boozegate incidents, which he handled so badly, and he has now lost my respect. Why is sticking the viccies up at reporters any worse than what Scott Brown did against Macedonia? Worthy of a sine die ban? Hardly.

The greeting after the Norway game about refereeing decisions was pathetic. Sometimes you have to accept that you weren't good enough on the night.

There was some bad luck against Macedonia away and the Dutch at home and I guess that needs to be considered. I also thnk it's a bit harsh for people to say that he only got the job because of Hearts. he was manager of the year in England.

So, should he go? The lack of great candidates suggests that there may not be anyone better (Souness hasn't managed in years, for example), although he has lost the respect of the public and the press, if not the Tartan army.

Strachan would be the obvious candidate but would he take it, and risk losing the kudos he got for 3 championships and 2 CL last 16s? Doubtful.

The bottom line is that I don't really care, and for that in itself, he has to take some blame.

Strachan won't take the job. I'll be surprised if he does anyway. TBH, I think the SFA will stand by Burley & not sack him (unfortunately).

Strachan did say he wanted to manage Scotland at some part of his career. But after 4 years at Celtic and witnessing how bad the media pressure is he might prefer a move back down south - who could blame him! but he is a stronger character than that and will talk to Walter Smith who did wonders in the job.

However I have a sneaky feeling Burley will be backed aswell and he will stay on....but I hope im totally wrong.