Referees are causing Rangers problems, says Rothen

He's barely been here a month and already he knows the score.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Referees and not inconsistency are causing Rangers problems, claims Ibrox newboy Jerome Rothen

Sep 22 2009 By Gary Ralston

RANGERS star Jerome Rothen last night accused ref Steve Conroy of going card crazy at Rugby Park.

And the French winger also hit out at claims the Light Blues are throwing the title away after they slipped up on the road for the second week on the trot.

Whistler Conroy was slaughtered for booking 11 and sending off Pedro Mendes and Manuel Pascali at the weekend as refs' chief Hugh Dallas insisted players must take more responsibility. Rothen was one of four Rangers men booked in the goalless draw but he reckoned the whistler got too many big calls wrong.

He said: "He made some mistakes. It was too easy for him to get the book out at the beginning of the match and he was too quick to give Pedro those two yellow cards."

Celtic took top spot in the SPL on their own right with a last-gasp winner at home to Hearts on Sunday, but Rothen has shrugged off suggestions of inconsistency in his team.

Rangers have looked drab and sluggish against Motherwell and Kilmarnock but in between put on a sterling show against Stuttgart in the Champions League.

And Rothen added: "We played well in the second half against Stuttgart and we must apply ourselves like that for all matches, but the more we play the better we'll become.

"We don't have problems with consistency - we've had to deal with difficult and complicated circumstances in our last two league games.

"I've been told how tough games at Motherwell can be every season, for example, and against them we also had to cope with a red card and a penalty.

"We also had to deal with that early red card at Kilmarnock so we've been affected by events, rather than inconsistency."

Rothen admits he's already loving life at Rangers but confessed 12.30pm kick-offs are messing with his body clock.

He said: "In France, games usually kick-off at 8pm or 9pm so my body will need to get used to these new kick-off times. But I've found the atmosphere here just great."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2009/09/22/referees-and-not-inconsistency-are-causing-rangers-problems-claims-ibrox-newboy-jerome-rothen-86908-21691663/

It was a poor display rather than a bad one. A TV Ref went through all the bookings and thought all bar one were technically bookable offences. ( a case of stick together lads, I don't know ? )

Most games I would reckon could have about 100 possible free kicks.

If Conroy were to officiate that means a stoppage every 50 seconds or so, more if he takes the time to either book or send off.

Sensible refereeing would lead to play developing despite a possible infringement and no need to intervene. If the infringement was serious enough then a word at the next break of play would be enough.

He booked players when this word was all that was needed.

However I think this type of "by the book" refereeing has developed over the years because of supporters and press constant criticism and accusations of bias.

There is now not much scope for common sense refereeing because of these pressures. Take that out of the equasion and only deal with the facts so nothing is left to question.

Was Conroy biased ? We'll never know.

Maybe we'll see next time he handles a Sellik game :whistle:

If he books their players at every opportunity then fair play I suppose. Somehow I doubt that'll happen though and we'll be fed with some line about how the early bookings in this instance set the tone for the game. :(

I do think the standard of refereeing is very poor,some would say bias!!!, but tbh I'm more pissed off with our performances/attitude in a lot of games,everyone can have a bad game but it should not stop anyone giving 100%, which it always comes across to me like they are not

The guy is an ex-Celtic season ticket holder FFS.

Allegedly had Celtic posters, mugs etc. in his doctors surgery before he became a Grade 1 ref.

His list of "honest mistakes" goes on and on and on.

Stephen Conroy is a cheat - I'm as sure of that as I am of my own name.