A plea for sanity

4-1 at home is a shocker. But I don't think that was a 4-1 game.

We were arguably the better team for the first hour, even up to their second goal.

We were unlucky not to go into the interval ahead. The referee didn't give a stonewall pen and if he did the defender had to walk.

He then didn't give a corner when only 2 Sevilla players went up for the header to put the ball out. :confused: From the resulting passage of play Sevilla went right up the other end and got an imaginary freekick from which they scored. Yes we were not sharp enough at their freekick. We were asleep but from an attacking point of view it was a clever freekick.

For the next 5-10 minutes we started to press again but got hit with a sucker punch for the killer second. After which we fell apart/got picked apart on the break.

There's no way Sevilla were 3 or 4 goals better than us. Wee Nacho is the first player to breach their reargaurd in about 4/5 games.

Football can be a funny old game at times and there is no way that scoreline reflected the match. A complete freak result. We upped our game big time and more than matched the 3rd best team in Spain and one of the best teams in Europe. But you don't always get what you deserve. Or as often seems the case with Rangers, you rarely get what you deserve.

That wasn't a Rangers in Europe performance of 2007/8. Yes it was a game plan forged on defensive solidity but with Naismith as the front man I thought we looked more potent up front with a lone striker.

The scoreline looks a lot worse than the game was and I think we need to bear that in mind.

Play like that against the Tims, don't get mugged off by shocking officiating and we wont come away with anything less than 3 points. :spl:

Rothen or boogie might of stepped up.

I would be comfortable with Boogie taking a penalty. There is a man who doesn't shy away from responsibility. Quite the opposite. In fact with Boyd and Novo off the field I could imagine him blitzing through from the back to grab the ball for the penalty.

Rothen as another seasoned professional player I would imagine would be confident in stepping up.

Just because their goals came from breaks doesn't make it a "freak" result. It's what good teams do. It's why they're on 6 points and we're on 1.

Too many players in blue didn't play to their best tonight, you get away with it against Queen of the South but unfortunately not against one of the top sides in Europe.

Rangers just have to forget about tonight and prepare for Sunday.

Just because their goals came from breaks doesn't make it a "freak" result. It's what good teams do. It's why they're on 6 points and we're on 1.

Too many players in blue didn't play to their best tonight, you get away with it against Queen of the South but unfortunately not against one of the top sides in Europe.

My comment about it being a "freak result" was meant to signify that I don't think Sevilla were 3/4 goals better than us tonight.

Rangers just have to forget about tonight and prepare for Sunday.

Quite agree, can't let a freak results affect our preparation for Sunday. ;)

Play like that against the mhankies, don't get handicapped by the officials (fuck me i'm looking for parity from the Scottish Ref's) and I can only see us winning.

Heads up guys !!

Positive thing is we have the double header against the Romanians and don't see Sevilla again until December.

Next step 3 points against the Romanians and we will be back into second place

Edited by fraser54

We played well tonight and we managed to contain them? well up untill the 2nd half but we have to remember that sevilla are a quality team apart from the sniper actics at times from their players! but at times from rangers we were switching off at crucial times in the game, this game is over now and we have to move on and we have 4 games left in the group so anything could happen! chins up and move on to the old firm match on sunday!!!