From the Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/scotland/article6919005.ece

George Burley has been sacked as manager of Scotland. Burley's position, which had been under threat following Scotland's failure to qualify for the World Cup finals in South Africa next summer became untenable after the 3-0 drubbing by Wales in a friendly on Saturday.

The 53-year-old had his contract terminated by the SFA after winning just 3 of his 14 games in charge of the national side. Scotland had also failed to score in their past five outings, their last goal coming in the April 1 encounter with Iceland at Hampden Park in a 2-1 World Cup qualifying victory.

More news to follow

Who wrote this ?

We beat Macedonia 2-0 in September just incase he forgot

Its never good to see someone getting the sack but Burley shouldnt have been in the job after the Holland game (as Gav said) and therefore the SFA partly to blame.

But the full set up has been wrong since day 1 with Pressley and Butcher being part of the team.

Yet Burley moves aside and Jim Jefferies is linked :confused:

Where did Beenhakker come from? :eek:

s3oj1w.png

Some good names on the list but some shockers also.

Alex Ferguson shouldnt be on the list as he wont take it.

The names Ive picked out that id like to see would be:

David Moyes - again like SAF he probably wouldnt take it.

Paul Lambert - Did a good job at Colchester and now doing well at Norwich

Steve Clarke - Quality number 2, not sure how he would do as top man.

Guus Hiddink - Would be perfect but very unlikely.

Gordon Strachan - will he be regretting going for the Boro job?

Walter Smith - Contract runs out at ibrox in Jan.

George Graham - Long time admirer but been out the game a long time.

Terry Venebles - not on the list but id like to see it. Although same as George Graham

Owen Coyle - Done very well with Burley.

Kevin Keegan - Not on list. Would have us playing a 1-1-8 formation and would probably only last 3 games but would be a interesting choice.

Great news, i really do hope Boyd starts now for Scotland and bangs the goals in !

Was willing to give George these two friendlies to prove himself but he has done bugger all, i hope the SFA don't rush into getting someone this now though

That's a quick turnaround. Two months ago you were spunking over Burley, wanting him to stay and wanting him to take us into the Euro qualifiers. After 2 meaningless friendlies you decided you wanted him out?

THe decision should've been made after the Holland game not after two daft friendlies two months down the line.

Gary McCallister will be in with a chance IMO

I think Gary Mac would be a good choice for assistant. He isnt really proven as a No.1 and the SFA HAVE to get this appointment right. Its been too long since we played at a tournament so a proven experienced manager should be appointed. But id be happy with McAllister was part of the set up.

I think Gary Mac would be a good choice for assistant. He isnt really proven as a No.1 and the SFA HAVE to get this appointment right. Its been too long since we played at a tournament so a proven experienced manager should be appointed. But id be happy with McAllister was part of the set up.

One name that is not on that list,unless I missed it, who would do a job IMO, Roy Hodgeson,sp, Fulham

Some of Scotland's players were "too thick" to understand George Burley's coaching methods, according to the sacked manager's nephew, Craig.

Craig, who earned 46 caps for his country between 1995 and 2003, also claimed some of the squad were not good enough but was not surprised his uncle was given the chop last night.

He told talkSPORT: "I'm not shocked at all. Wales was a disastrous result.

"It's not as if we were playing England or Brazil or France, it was Wales and it was unacceptable from the manager's and players' point of view.

"I don't think what he wanted to do got across to some players and also I think some of them are too thick to take it on board and not good enough to take it on board anyway to be perfectly honest with you.

"But he can look at most of the players in the eye and ask if they did a good job for him and I don't think there are many, if any, who can say, 'Yes, I did'.

"So he hasn't been able to get the players to perform for him, he hasn't been able to get them to understand what he wants the right formation and right results and, at the end of the day, that's all that matters."

A total of 52 players featured for Scotland while Burley was manager.

The search for Burley's successor began in earnest today, with Scottish Football Association chief executive Gordon Smith determined to find "the best possible replacement".

Speculation is already rife over who will fill the shoes of a man who claimed only three wins in 14 attempts before the axe finally fell less than two years into his troubled tenure.

Dundee United manager Craig Levein has been installed as the early favourite by the bookmakers, with Kilmarnock's Jim Jefferies also in the frame.

Jefferies has admitted he was "flattered" to be linked with the vacancy but refused to divulge whether he was interested in succeeding Burley.

Kilmarnock captain Kevin Kyle, said: "One thing for sure is, if he did get the job, the Scotland players would know about it because I've witnessed his rants every day."

Meanwhile, Walter Smith's uncertain future at Rangers - his contract expires in January - means a dramatic return to the international fold cannot be ruled out either, despite an acrimonious departure when he quit to go back to Ibrox in January 2007.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/09/11/17/SOCCER_Scotland_Lead.html

I understand he should stick up for his family and all.... but to call the players THICK is pretty ignorant. Seems dumb public statements run in the family ! "Limited ability" "too thick" - someone put these tits out to pasture - and to think I respected Craig Burley's punditry. Although.... to be fair, he could be right ;)