Supporters Trusts don't have to fail.

Just out of interest, I had a natter yesterday with someone from the Newcastle United Supporters Trust ..... NUST Those folks have some severe problems with their club regime and have been trying hard to mobilise supporters to challenge some of the woes afflicting their club.

Anyway, I asked how successful they had been in attracting members to NUST, thinking it might show an interesting comparison with our own hapless RST.

The first thing I got was a clear impression that the NUST guys are delighted to speak about their membership numbers. Contrast this with the RST�s veil of secrecy and embarrassment. The reason for this quickly became apparent when he revealed that NUST has collected 3,500 paid up members in less than five month. They charge exactly the same membership fees as RST but have plans to introduce a free junior membership. Not only that, NUST have also amassed the details of about 25,000 non-members, who they actively inform and consult.

In five months that�s three times as many members as the RST has after five years of mid-firing and a working relationship with almost 30,000 fans.

If anyone needs evidence of just how big a mess certain people have made of running our Supporters Trust, surely this supplies it. That these same incompetents should now be strutting around in the guise of ââ?¬Å?fansââ?¬â?¢ leadersââ?¬Â and demanding our support for fan ownership plans that no one can release details of ââ?¬â?? well it honestly defies all description.

The hijackers of the RST are in no position to organise a piss up in a brewery, let alone the future ownership of Rangers. Personally, I�d advise everyone to give their latest nonsense a very wide berth.

Hear hear. The RST, a fantastic idea in theory, has been in the wrong hands since it's inception.

It's certainly had the wrong hands round its throat these last couple of years anyway. Frankly, when you scrape away the fancy words, it's a total joke.

Did the NUST guys tell you how they managed to achieve such high numbers in membership and also the working relationship with such high numbers in such a short space of time ?

Surely these are the types of groups we should be speaking to in order to see just how they have managed to mobilise so many folks (think it was Zappa who already mentioned this).

It's definitely good progress getting that number of members. They should be looking at adding a zero to that member tally though. 35000 members would be far more appropriate for a Trust that plans to buy a big club like Newcastle. Will be very interesting to keep an eye on how things pan out for the NUST over the next few months. They seem to be quite realistic about the fan ownership in that they know they probably won't be able to get enough money together for a complete buy-out. Did whoever you spoke to mention that at all?

Surely these are the types of groups we should be speaking to in order to see just how they have managed to mobilise so many folks (think it was Zappa who already mentioned this).

TBH, I'm a bit surprised that an NUST representative wasn't invited to that Gerspride conference to speak about their 'Yes We Can' campaign. They're only a few hours drive down the road after all.

Did the NUST guys tell you how they managed to achieve such high numbers in membership and also the working relationship with such high numbers in such a short space of time ?

THH Craig, I didn't ask how they had achieve that membership so quickly but they are obviously highly mobilised. What did come across was the belief that significant membership numbers are the key to everything they want to do. This impressed me greatly - I remember arguing that point more than four years ago on that FF place (yes, even I served my time there for a while, before five straight life bans finally broke the bonds) and being ridiculed from all sides.

I particularly like the idea of preparing the large group of fans who have yet to make the leap to membership. That's very clever and very forward thinking.