Supporters Trusts don't have to fail.

The situation between Newcastle and Rangers is somewhat different which may explain the contrasting reactions of the two supports.

Newcastle have not won a jot for a long time and have steadily went backwards in recent years culminating in their relegation last season. Add in an owner who wants to sell one minute, then stay the next; it isn't any wonder the support are looking at other alternatives. Even so, I wouldn't say 3500 new members is all that much in 5 months given the circumstances.

We, meanwhile, have just won the league title, have recently contested a European final and are one game in hand from topping the league again in a few weeks. Obviously, some fans can see beyond that to the obvious problems that exist, but the majority (and it's a large one) will not or do not want to see the problems we have off-the-pitch. As such, it doesn't surprise me that the Trust membership has supposedly stagnated in recent times.

The problem the RST has is reaching the apathetic supporters mentioned above. To be fair they have had some good media coverage of late, have organised an interesting conference and are apparently working hard in the background to deliver something of interest in the short-term. Will that be enough for some people? Possibly (or probably) not and the other problems associated with the Trust (such as their image and communication issues which seem to be evident from reading a variety of sources) can only add to the challenge they face.

As such it may be easy to criticise (as always) but if people don't agree with the Trust offerings then they must bring something else to the table. That may actually happen but if it doesn't then, while any criticism of the RST (and the other fan organisations) may well be valid, we're all equally culpable for not changing the situation.

The situation between Newcastle and Rangers is somewhat different which may explain the contrasting reactions of the two supports.

Newcastle have not won a jot for a long time and have steadily went backwards in recent years culminating in their relegation last season. Add in an owner who wants to sell one minute, then stay the next; it isn't any wonder the support are looking at other alternatives. Even so, I wouldn't say 3500 new members is all that much in 5 months given the circumstances.

We, meanwhile, have just won the league title, have recently contested a European final and are one game in hand from topping the league again in a few weeks. Obviously, some fans can see beyond that to the obvious problems that exist, but the majority (and it's a large one) will not or do not want to see the problems we have off-the-pitch. As such, it doesn't surprise me that the Trust membership has supposedly stagnated in recent times.

Come off it Frankie, are you honestly trying to say it's been a bed of roses at Rangers since the RST was formed? Or that the RST membership hasn't been in sharp decline during Strapon's three titles in a row? Because as I remember things, the last few years may have had a few highlights but have hardly been a trail of successes.

There's no masking the basic truth and I'd have thought you of all people would see some merit in exposing it. The RST is a failure and it's a failure because those running it haven't had the gumption to make a half-decent go of it. What you describe as apathy born of fat success could easily be interpreted as disgust at the antics of lunatics. Don't you ever wonder where the RST could have been today if it hadn't been run by the sort of moron who offered me a refund of my life membership rather than discuss membership numbers?

The recent nonsense about somehow swallowing yesterday's incompetence for the good of a better future is an outright fallacy. If we base the future on the same pointless foundations as we've witnessed in the past, please tell me on what basis we're to expect the outcome to be any different. The biggest danger we face right now as supporters is blindly committing ourselves to another ill-considered plan, cooked up by the same band of chancers, and in the process denying ourselves the any real opportunities to build something more worthwhile.

Just because they might be the only show in town, doesn't mean it's going to be worth watching.

Frankie thank you for posting that. It's perfectly fair and needed to be said because the situations are comparable in some ways but Rangers have not been relegated etc. so the context is completely different in most peoples' eyes. Whether the RST is great or rubbish, it's unhelpful for all of us if we start comparing apples and oranges.

The RST has spoken at length with NUST and we understand what they are doing in their situation. Some possible news for them on Friday, from what we understand.

The RST has spoken at length with NUST and we understand what they are doing in their situation. Some possible news for them on Friday, from what we understand.

Out of interest regarding communications - how often do the RST plan on updating their membership about what they are doing ?

Were it not for you kindly frequenting this forum UCB I would never have known they had actually discussed anything with NUST.

Newcastle have not won a jot for a long time and have steadily went backwards in recent years culminating in their relegation last season.

They should really be thankful for the relegation because they now have a chance of winning something. :devil:

Frankie thank you for posting that. It's perfectly fair and needed to be said because the situations are comparable in some ways but Rangers have not been relegated etc. so the context is completely different in most peoples' eyes. Whether the RST is great or rubbish, it's unhelpful for all of us if we start comparing apples and oranges.

You may be right but when I mentioned to the NUST committee member I was a Rangers supporter and was interested in any differences in strategy between the two organisation, it didn't sound to me like there was much awareness of the RST at all. It didn't surprise me.

Out of interest regarding communications - how often do the RST plan on updating their membership about what they are doing ?

Were it not for you kindly frequenting this forum UCB I would never have known they had actually discussed anything with NUST.

It's just background, Craig.... it helps us build a picture and become more informed. We've spoken to a lot of people recently, some of them directly helpful, some indirectly, some not. We met with the Man U Trust and discussed how they tried and failed, for example. HSV and Espanyol you already know about.

Maybe we should tell our members about all the things we do, it's a fair comment.

Anyway.....we talked to NUST, we learned some stuff, we liked some of their stuff, we don't agree with some of their stuff and they have come in for some heavy criticism over their pension fund strategy.

Look at this for the positive angle on NUST...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2009/nov/11/newcastleunited-mike-ashley?showAllComments=true

On reflection, maybe we should have said we talked to NUST. Possibly :)