Smith rules out Scots return

Walter Smith has ruled himself out of the running to take the reins of Scotland for a second time.

More...

Walter Smith has ruled himself out of the running to take the reins of Scotland for a second time.

Smith had been a leading contender to replace George Burley after he was sacked on Monday following the 3-0 defeat to Wales last weekend, but the Rangers manager insists he has no interest in a returning to the Tartan Army.

Scotland's world ranking rose 70 places while Smith was at the helm, although he departed in the middle of the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

He said: "We were in the middle of a qualifying campaign, and were trying to reach the European Championship. But, after making the decision to leave Scotland at that time, I don't feel it would be right to go back and that is the situation.

"The matter is now closed as far as I am concerned.

"I'd like to stress I have never been offered the Scotland job again. I haven't spoken to anyone at the SFA (Scottish Football Association).

"What I am doing is responding to press speculation in a bid to end it as I don't think it is fair on anyone.

"The fact is, I left the Scotland job of my own volition. Sometimes when you get the sack, it is actually easier to go back. But when you make your own decision to leave then it isn't that easy.

"So that is my stance. I thoroughly enjoyed my time as Scotland manager. It was a difficult decision at the time to leave and go back to Rangers."

Dundee United boss Craig Levein is the favourite to succeed Burley after Smith added his name to the growing list of managers that have ruled themselves out of contention.

Edited by Frankie

Guest Macafelly

I had to laugh the other night when Ewen Cameron was desperate to tell us all those that wanted the job.

Jeffries, Calderwood, Levein, Kinnear, Laszlo .....

Forgive me for not bursting with excitement at that list.

Any manager worth a feck wouldn't touch the job unfortunately.

Yep, none of those make me want to watch Scotland again any time soon...

Thought Lars Lagerb�¤ck of Sweden was an interesting candidate though. We should burst the bank for Hiddink - an ideal preparation for him for the Rangers job in the future... ;)

There's no doubt about it that we have to go foreign. The generation of good managers we produced have been and gone or are current in jobs they wouldn't leave for the Scotland job.

It's really regretful that PLG did not live up to be the messiah we thought he was, as there would be a lot more happy Rangers fans AND Scotland would still have had Smith in charge. I think it's fair to say that Walter would have been odds on to have us qualify from that last group: an easier than normal group that he and Eck worked so hard to get us into.

Look at his activity level; if any of us had that we'd be sacked from our job.....

... no actually, wait....

I thought my time on here was pushing it a bit, but my activity level only halfway up. So maybe my job is reasonably safe...