The Last Ever Champions' League Game at Ibrox?

As i said in "The way forward" post, Chelsea are probably 100million in the red and are estimated to owe Abramovitch around 700 million in interest free loans. If anything happens to him i would imagine Chelsea will be finished.

Zappa on Talksport a few weeks ago they were discussing the fact that 7 clubs were technically insolvent and that Liverpool were given a special 1 year license to play due to their debt , last nights result wont help one bit

The figures will probably be very different now rbr, but last year the 5 clubs with the highest debt in the EPL looked like this -

• Chelsea - Ã?£711m
  • Manchester Utd - Ã?£649m
  • Arsenal - Ã?£318m
  • Liverpool - Ã?£300m
  • Newcastle Utd - Ã?£245m

Those figures were net debt at end of the 2007/08 season and were very accurate last year.

As i said in "The way forward" post, Chelsea are probably 100million in the red and are estimated to owe Abramovitch around 700 million in interest free loans. If anything happens to him i would imagine Chelsea will be finished.

It's hard to imagine teams like Chelsea going to the wall, but that's the reality a lot of these clubs are potentially facing. It's mismanagement of the highest order that's to blame for their situation though because Chelsea went spend crazy when he took over & just like Man City are doing now they went around buying players for far more than they were worth. You can't feel sorry for stupidity.

The figures will probably be very different now rbr, but last year the 5 clubs with the highest debt in the EPL looked like this -

• Chelsea - Ã?£711m
  • Manchester Utd - Ã?£649m
  • Arsenal - Ã?£318m
  • Liverpool - Ã?£300m
  • Newcastle Utd - Ã?£245m

Those figures were net debt at end of the 2007/08 season and were very accurate last year.

sorry Zappa , I should have said it was clubs outwith the big 5 , they include Spurs , they were actually pointing more towards the bottom end of the premiership , Portsmouth , West Ham , Hull , Blackburn and Bolton are all rumoured to be in serious trouble

sorry Zappa , I should have said it was clubs outwith the big 5 , they include Spurs , they were actually pointing more towards the bottom end of the premiership , Portsmouth , West Ham , Hull , Blackburn and Bolton are all rumoured to be in serious trouble

It's no surprise that they're in trouble tbh. Trying to compete to even stay up in the EPL is an expensive business these days. Only 11 of the 20 clubs actually recorded any sort of profit for the 07/08 season. Just because half of the clubs recorded profits doesn't mean that a lot of them aren't in financial trouble though.

Something that's quite interesting rbr, is that the likes of Portsmouth, Hull, Bolton & other smaller clubs in the EPL are only charging about �£20 for tickets, which is less than some of the mid-table SPL clubs are charging. Couple that with the fact that all-seat stadiums are halving the potential attendance at these clubs.

Something that's quite interesting rbr, is that the likes of Portsmouth, Hull, Bolton & other smaller clubs in the EPL are only charging about �£20 for tickets, which is less than some of the mid-table SPL clubs are charging. Couple that with the fact that all-seat stadiums are halving the potential attendance at these clubs.

That point was discussed later on , on Talksport , they were mentioning that the EPL's own figures gave an attendance of 97% for stadiums for he season ( that was 97% full ) , the point they raised was that the likes of Blackburn , Wigan ,Fulham ,Bolton and Hull all struggled to fill their grounds so how the figure for attendances came to 97 % is anyones guess

A good article, Frankie and not much to argue about but one thing continues to puzzle me. Why is it always assumed that Scotland is the only country where kids have stopped playing sport in favour of computer games and where the burger culture rules? It's as if they do not have these things in England, but I can assure you they do, and in Europe as well. Yet their (England's) academies seem to be producing a conveyor belt of indigenous talent (witness the schoolboy international last night) in spite of all the distractions. It cannot simply be a question of money. And I also keep hearing about one governing body as the answer to our ills. They have just as many bodies down here.

Here's a novel thought, for what it's worth. Many of the best English talent seems to be of West Indian/mixed race stock (Defoe, Ferdinand et al) as a result of the Windrush immigration in the sixties. For some odd reason, very few of them settled in the West of Scotland, so we have comparatively fewer black players. Strange, considering Glasgow's links with Jamaica. As I say, just a thought.

Yeah, fair comment mate...

I noticed Celtic have begun a new initiative using a Kirkintilloch school to 'employ' and teach young lads full-time much like what AMMS recommended in our STS report.

It is this kind of scholarship idea which other countries use so successfully and why we're several years behind many other countries in this regard.

A great point was made on sky sports after one of the c/l games , where they said that Scotland had never had such good facilities or as many coaches , but were the coaches good enough !!!!