You dont need to have those individuals in place to provide input into the technical side of the game though, there are many facets to being a footballer and I really was just using them as examples.

Ferguson is getting decent reviews in Australia from what I gather. Do I want him as manager ? No. I said "involved in the set up" which should not be confused with "management team".

You think that our defenders wouldn't improve with Gough providing his insight on how to defend properly ? You think that our keepers wouldnt improve with someone like Goram mentoring them (his personal problems aside) ?

Who is this experienced manager with a knowledge of world football that would be prepared to take the reigns at Ibrox with ZERO cash to spend and a squad that seems bereft of confidence and ability ? Who is this manager that would risk his reputation for us ? I see and hear that often enough but the names that would be thrown into the hat wouldn't necessarily be interested in us.

And why does it need to be an experienced manager ? Why not have someone with less experience, doesnt mean they will do a worse job.

Since when did top former players automatically make good coaches?

Alex McLeish was a great centre half but it didn't seem to rub off on many of our defenders.

Alex Ferguson was no genius on the park but he's a genius off it.

As for managerial options, we're still a big club and much smaller teams than us can attract decent managers. There seems to be some idea that if Smith was to leave us then we'd be forced into some doomsday situation we're nobody on the planet would be able to replace him.

We won't have a lot of money available but the chance to play in the champions league and challenge for trophies would be seen as a good challenge to many managers around Europe IMO. We won't have Ancelloti or Wenger banging at our door but there's plenty decent managers out there.

Edited by Totti

Since when did top former players automatically make good coaches?

Alex McLeish was a great centre half but it didn't seem to rub off on many of our defenders.

Alex Ferguson was no genius on the park but he's a genius off it.

As for managerial options, we're still a big club and much smaller teams than us can attract decent managers. There seems to be some idea that if Smith was to leave us then we'd be forced into some doomsday situation we're nobody on the planet would be able to replace him.

We won't have a lot of money available but the chance to play in the champions league and challenge for trophies would be seen as a good challenge to many managers around Europe IMO. We won't have Ancelloti or Wenger banging at our door but there's plenty decent managers out there.

You might be surprised to know that I actually agree with you. I have heard plenty on here suggest that we should hire this former player or that former player and I have made the same comment as you have, in that they don't always make good coaches. I still stand by that, but it seems these days we are lacking even the basic elements of determination, passion, desire and drive - you will notice the former players I mentioned whilst not being gifted skilfully had endless amounts of the above traits. That said though..... McCoist was very passionate about our club too and he is part of the management that can't seem to get this bunch of players playing with at least a will to win so maybe we shouldn't go down that route.

Not sure why you mention the "doomsday scenario" in reply to my post as I am not one who buys it. But I am also not convinced we would be able to attract the standard of manager we would be looking for. Until WS leaves the post I guess we just don't know.