News & Reports on Rangers Youth Teams

GRAEME MURTY believes his Rangers under-20s side didn’t display enough of their talent in this afternoon’s defeat to Celtic in the Development League.

https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/u20-rangers-0-celtic-1/

That sounds to me as if Celtic have more physical players whilst we have better technical players.

Elfi, does that sound about right?

Elfi, I don't see any mention of the great Dembele in the Celtic Development team - is he still playing 20's or is he back to a more "normal" age group ?

Are the two teams at this level on par ? I know we use a lot of 17's (and even younger in Billy Gilmour's case) but do they ?

Dembele is an U14 player that usually plays at U15's. I don't know why Celtic played him for ten minutes in an under 20's game, some sort of publicity stunt although I don't see what they gain from it.

In the game in question their team averaged a year and a half older. Rangers had an U16 & an Under 17 in the midfield three Celtic had two U21's in their midfield three. Both teams fielded an U17 striker, which was the only U17 involved in the Celtic team. I have mentioned a few times we have very few 19 -21 year olds, which was the legacy left by the previous HOY.

That sounds to me as if Celtic have more physical players whilst we have better technical players.

Elfi, does that sound about right?

Not quite as black and white as that, as I mentioned Celtic were a year and a half older on average. They also have some very good players, Calvin Miller was probably the best player on the pitch, he was briefly at Rangers before Celtic, I believe he played for Rangers SABC. Anthony Ralston will be next to break into their first team, He is 18 but physically is adult.

They certainly seem to favour big players throughout the younger age groups, they are always markedly bigger than Rangers teams of a similar age.

Thanks elfideldo. What is your opinion on Billy Gilmour? Do you think he will stay or are there any whispers in the crowd?

He is on a different level than players of his age in Scotland, you may see one every ten years or so. I can only think of Barry Ferguson and Darren Fletcher in the past 25 years who were on a similar level.

I don't have any inside info but he really does have the pick of clubs and I would be surprised if he is at Rangers next season. Nobody knows what is round the corner and like Callum Patterson an injury could come at any time and he may not get the chance again.

Whispers change from week to week, its Arsenal, its Chelsea, he is staying. So I guess we will just have to wait and see.

He is on a different level than players of his age in Scotland, you may see one every ten years or so. I can only think of Barry Ferguson and Darren Fletcher in the past 25 years who were on a similar level.

I don't have any inside info but he really does have the pick of clubs and I would be surprised if he is at Rangers next season. Nobody knows what is round the corner and like Callum Patterson an injury could come at any time and he may not get the chance again.

Whispers change from week to week, its Arsenal, its Chelsea, he is staying. So I guess we will just have to wait and see.

Do decision has been made as yet. I was speaking to one of the Academy coaches on the weekend and he had run the lad home from training one night last week - they didn't really speak about it a great deal but the general consensus is that he hasn't yet made up his mind.

The one thing that was made very, very clear to me is that the lad is destined for the top - he has been the jewel in the Academy crown for the last 3 years AT LEAST (and given he is only 15 that is pretty impressive). All other players look at him and see him as the "model" Academy player.

What impresses me greatly too is that he is considered a very humble young man whose feet are firmly on the ground.

It is a very difficult decision to make elfi - as you say, one injury and you are done so sometimes a player puts the short-term ahead of the long-term, and even though we would be saddened by it, the reality is that a player needs to look after himself, even at such a young age.

Obviously I hope he stays - if he makes the 1st team at Rangers and establishes himself then both he AND the club can benefit from that and he could still get his big move away. These big teams wont stop watching him just because he stayed at Rangers, they will continue to monitor him. But if he does decide to move then I personally think Arsenal would be a better fit, if only for the fact that they don't have a HUGE Academy/Development squad like Chelsea - Chelsea have won the Youth Cup 3 of the last 5 years, but they also loaned out 53 young players the season before last.

Pete, universally within the game (aside from Celtic) Billy Gilmour is seen as the next Scottish hope - the Scottish national coach (was it Stark, cant recall) went as far as saying he could very well make his Rangers 1st team debut by the time he hits 16.

He is on a different level than players of his age in Scotland, you may see one every ten years or so. I can only think of Barry Ferguson and Darren Fletcher in the past 25 years who were on a similar level.I don't have any inside info but he really does have the pick of clubs and I would be surprised if he is at Rangers next season. Nobody knows what is round the corner and like Callum Patterson an injury could come at any time and he may not get the chance again.

How would you rate Leon King in terms of level elfi ?

I have watched Leon a few times and have never failed but be impressed by him. Read the game so well, technical, has an engine a pro would be proud of and just seems to always make good decisions. I think Leon is a cracking player too.

How would you rate Leon King in terms of level elfi ?

I have watched Leon a few times and have never failed but be impressed by him. Read the game so well, technical, has an engine a pro would be proud of and just seems to always make good decisions. I think Leon is a cracking player too.

I rate Leon King very highly but I would say a couple of things.

The three players I mention in my previous post are all midfield playmakers, Leon is a centre back, so will be looked at differently. Playmakers and goalscorers are always going to grab the headlines. A parent said to me "my boy is rarely mentioned in your match reports", I tried to explain that these are basically brief summaries of goalmouth incidents that defenders are involved in less, but I don't think he was convinced.

Leon is an Under 13, which means he will turn 13 this year, may have been January could be December, although he permanently plays at U14''s. Just as we don't know where Billy Gilmour will be as a player at 19 or 20, we don't know how Leon will have progressed when he is 15 or 16. If he progresses as I think he will we will be having this discussion all over again in a couple of years as he approaches his 16th birthday.