News & Reports on Rangers Youth Teams

I rate Leon King very highly but I would say a couple of things.

The three players I mention in my previous post are all midfield playmakers, Leon is a centre back, so will be looked at differently. Playmakers and goalscorers are always going to grab the headlines. A parent said to me "my boy is rarely mentioned in your match reports", I tried to explain that these are basically brief summaries of goalmouth incidents that defenders are involved in less, but I don't think he was convinced.

Leon is an Under 13, which means he will turn 13 this year, may have been January could be December, although he permanently plays at U14''s. Just as we don't know where Billy Gilmour will be as a player at 19 or 20, we don't know how Leon will have progressed when he is 15 or 16. If he progresses as I think he will we will be having this discussion all over again in a couple of years as he approaches his 16th birthday.

Thanks Elfi.

I only got to see Billy Gilmour the once when he was probably U12 or U13 and he looked a cut above even then. Likewise I think that Leon looks a cut above too. Completely agree about different positions - but whenever I have watched Leon he has been completely dominant at the back. Not only that but he relishes the position too, does the dirty things and isn't one of those players that needs to do more.

I know that on top of the Academy moving him up a year they also moved him a couple of times into central midfield to take him out of his comfort zone as he was so far ahead of everyone else when playing in his natural position.

Another one who also seems like a very level headed kid and with his feet firmly on the ground. My kids team played against Leon's team a couple of years ago when Leon and a few others were still at Barrhead Boys Club prior to signing with Rangers. There were a number of that team that looked very good, but Leon and the lad that left us to go to Celtic looked the pick of the bunch for me. Very good players even back then.

Under 14s sounded really promising.

Have you heard anything of the U20s in Portugal?

Lost 3-1, don't have much details. Jordan Gibson scored. It was 1-1 after 70 minutes, then Rangers took off some of the regulars in Aidan Wilson, Myles Beerman, Max Ashmore and Liam Burt, then lost 2 goals in last 20 minutes.

Video: Rangers Youngster Myles Beerman’s Brilliant Winner v Hibs

We’ve all been hearing about the exploits of Billy Gilmour for some time now, but it looks as though Beerman could be hot on his heels as the next big talent to break through at Ibrox.

The talented 17-year-old Maltese winger arrived in Glasgow from Manchester City in September last year, and his performances have been impressing youth coaches with in the Gers ranks.

His latest explosive display came in the Under-20s 2-1 victory over their Hibs counterparts last week.

After Hibs had equalised on 87 minutes to make it 1-1, it seemed the game was destined for a disappointing draw, but Beerman had other ideas and spectacularly took matters into his own hands:

Video can be found in this link... http://www.talkingbaws.com/2017/02/video-rangers-youngster-myles-beermans-brilliant-winner-v-hibs/