Boyd: Thread Updated: Back in full training this week

How do we know that Rangers haven't been trying to tie KB up for the last 12 months? Pretty much exactly a year ago we tried to punt him for 3.7M which he turned down due to wages.

Now that easily kicks in two things - one, he probably doesn't feel so loyal to the club, if he ever did seeing as he struggled to be a first choice despite his goals. And two, he will have realised that he can get a far bigger wage and signing on fee if he has freedom of contract. If you think about it, any club who want him on a Bosman, will save 3.7M quid. He'll be due a big slice of that.

Basically, since we tried to sell him, there's a good chance he's rebuffed all attempts to extend his contract and is running it down while make a much better effort to play well and increase his worth.

I think it's presumptuous to blame sheer incompetence for everything. People aren't always that bad at their jobs...

Well Bain said at the AGM that he is going to start contract negotiations with the likes of Boyd etc, so clearly this wasn't addressed 12 months ago

That's also fair enough comment, Cal... :thup:

As always the truth is probably somewhere in the middle but IMO Boyd has always been an important player so should have been treated as such in contract talks - never mind trying to sell.

But if that was the case Calscot, I'm sure we'd have heard about it. Nearly everything about his contract renewal has been leaked by one side or the other. Scotland's football community is too for things like this to be kept quiet, especially in this day and age.

If he wanted to leave, the Birmingham offer was the only one on the table. And with no guarantee of being first pick, turning it down was a massive risk because if he didn't play, his value and earning potential could have gone down instead of up. Fair play to him for working hard on his game though as I think he's been improving since he quit the Scotland setup.

Once he turned down Birmingham, we should have offered him a new deal, that would have let us know where he stood. If he didn't want a new deal here, we could have got him out the door to Birmingham, there's always ways to make these deals happen.

I know that the club does take a lot of flak for everything, whether fairly or not, but I just think contracts for any good player or one showing potential under the age of 30 are a really basic element of running a club these days, to protect yourself from losing them for nothing. If they don't sign, then you move them on.

Its a good post Cal and I agree with it, but often I think we forget that these are grown men we're speaking about here. They should be man enough to talk to each other and let the other know what their plans are, particularly when they claim to have a love for the club as Boyd does, you'd assume he wouldn't want the club to lose out on a fee. After all, did he not donate some of his signing-on fee back to the Killie youth setup to say thanks?

I know fans from other clubs think he's an arrogant ar$ehole, but everything I've heard about Boyd from people who know him is that he's a very down-to-earth and nice guy.

Mike.

Edited by ascender

Well Bain said at the AGM that he is going to start contract negotiations with the likes of Boyd etc, so clearly this wasn't addressed 12 months ago

It takes two sides round the table to get the negotiations started. Could easily be that Boyd - or more like his agent, didn't want to "start contract negotiations" until now.

I'm not say that this is the case, but it seems a plausible scenario and for me a more likely one.

It takes two sides round the table to get the negotiations started. Could easily be that Boyd - or more like his agent, didn't want to "start contract negotiations" until now.

I'm not say that this is the case, but it seems a plausible scenario and for me a more likely one.

Agreed,I just find it frustrating,as do all Rangers fans,when these negotiations seem to be dragged on and on when it should be dealt with promptly

But if that was the case Calscot, I'm sure we'd have heard about it. Nearly everything about his contract renewal has been leaked by one side or the other. Scotland's football community is too for things like this to be kept quiet, especially in this day and age.

If he wanted to leave, the Birmingham offer was the only one on the table. And with no guarantee of being first pick, turning it down was a massive risk because if he didn't play, his value and earning potential could have gone down instead of up. Fair play to him for working hard on his game though as I think he's been improving since he quit the Scotland setup.

There is a lot of cat and mouse games these days when it comes to contracts and either side will use the media when it suits them and keep things ultra quiet when it doesn't.

It was a risk for Boyd but it's plain fact he took that calculated risk. It wasn't that big a risk though as if you're already a wealthy, young man who's playing for a top club with suitors who are offering 3.7M for you, you haven't got that much to lose. The fact was he turned down the Birmingham contract due to the wage, whether that was a for a bigger wage later or to stay at Rangers, he lost the same amount of money.

In hindsight it wasn't much of a risk as he's now been offered more by Rangers than at Birmingham and as he's playing his best football, he's worth more in wages than a year ago to EPL clubs - and with no transfer fee.

He's the one that's put the work in to increase his performances, so there is no real gamble there. If you want to place a large bet against me that I'll increase my strength in the gym next month, then I'm pretty sure I know who's going to win the money.

Once he turned down Birmingham, we should have offered him a new deal, that would have let us know where he stood. If he didn't want a new deal here, we could have got him out the door to Birmingham, there's always ways to make these deals happen.

There's several scenarios there: maybe he rebuffed talks, or the club could have been playing a bluff to sell him in the summer. Or maybe it was sheer incompetence...

Its a good post Cal and I agree with it, but often I think we forget that these are grown men we're speaking about here. They should be man enough to talk to each other and let the other know what their plans are, particularly when they claim to have a love for the club as Boyd does, you'd assume he wouldn't want the club to lose out on a fee. After all, did he not donate some of his signing-on fee back to the Killie youth setup to say thanks?

While I agree it's grown men, I feel contract negotiations have taken on a life of their own. They are now a bit of a pantomime with dirty tricks all over the shot. I think the whole agent thing has become pretty despicable and wouldn't bet on much integrity among those "thieves".

I'm not saying Boyd isn't generous but if he feels badly treated then he'd probably prefer to line his own pockets than that of his employers, especially with his agent whispering in his ear.

I know fans from other clubs think he's an arrogant ar$ehole, but everything I've heard about Boyd from people who know him is that he's a very down-to-earth and nice guy.

Mike.

I wouldn't be surprised at that - and it's good to save most of your arrogance for the pitch.

Maybe because Boyd doesn't want to sign it...? :box:

In all honesty and extremely naively. i never even considered that scenario. I thought as soon as Rangers made him an offer of an improved salary, he wouldn't hesitate to sign.

Jeez, i really need to take my head out my ass. :(

In all honesty and extremely naively. i never even considered that scenario. I thought as soon as Rangers made him an offer of an improved salary, he wouldn't hesitate to sign.

Jeez, i really need to take my head out my ass. :(

I knew he wouldn't with his agent always looking for the best deal for (themselves) the player

Don't know how to put a strike through in.