Accommodating all 4 of them

A little problem has surfaced in that Thomson, Davis, McCulloch and Edu are fit, available and in form.

It seems such a waste to have even one of these guys on the bench, given how much they can all give.

Davis is a driving force through the middle, Thomson can do that to an extent plus defend brilliantly, McCulloch can do lots of dirty work, and Edu is a very, very good all rounder.

In recent weeks I have to admit Whittaker has hit a real purple patch, and Papac I felt had a great game on Sunday.

My point?

Accommodate all 4 of the midfielders in a sort of diamond, and let Whittaker and Papac continue to provide the width on the flanks. We can still have Boyd and Miller up front and it would make us really rather strong in the middle because the whole wing-play thing hasn't happened since December's Novo/Beasley period.

So what do you think of this:

:am:

:sw::mb::dw::sp:

:lm:

:me::kt:

:sd:

:kb::km:

Bench:

:na::kirk::wilson::ss::kl::db::nn::sn:

Not the worst team and bench I've ever seen...

No width, and we can't rely on our full-backs to deal with the whole of the wide areas in the park. There are plenty of wide players in the SPL that would have field days if we didn't play with left and right midfielders.

McCulloch, despite having had a fine season, should not be first choice anymore IMO

Top 6 opposition - Thomson and Edu in CM

Bottom 6 opposition - Thomson and Davis in CM

However, Walter is very loyal to Lee (blind loyalty in the second half of the 07/08 season where he was anonymous game after game, but loyalty which has paid off this season) and i can't see him dropping out of the team, as much as i believe Edu and Thomson would offer a lot more

As much as McCulloch hasn't been as bad as in previous seasons, he is simply nowhere near as good as the other options for centre midfield.

Football is a tough business, and managers are paid the big bucks to make sometimes difficult decisions. Walter should have no problem in leaving Lee out of the team, simply on the grounds that we have other players who are better in the position, and are on form.

It is hard enough getting Edu, Thomson and Davis into the same team as all should be played in centre midfield, and Lee is simply surplus to requirements when all our other options are fit.

Performances like Sunday's from Thomson, Davis and Edu makes you see why Walter chose to sell Mendes in January, despite some of us questioning the sense in the decision.

I think it would be extremely extremely harsh to drop McCulloch given many of us are touting him for POTY.

In fact Walter just won't do it if he's fit imo. And I don't blame him.

I guess though, as said, he's paid the big bucks to make the decisions, the buck stops with him.

McCulloch, despite having had a fine season, should not be first choice anymore IMO

Top 6 opposition - Thomson and Edu in CM

Bottom 6 opposition - Thomson and Davis in CM

However, Walter is very loyal to Lee (blind loyalty in the second half of the 07/08 season where he was anonymous game after game, but loyalty which has paid off this season) and i can't see him dropping out of the team, as much as i believe Edu and Thomson would offer a lot more

McCulloch does the dirty work. He is the Roy Keane, the Neil Lennon, Robbie Savage of this team. He might not offer the world coming forward but he protects the back 4.

It's a great problem to have - no matter which 2 or 3 get picked, there is no weak option.

Thommo and Edu in the middle for me. I'd stick with Davis on the right, but give him the licence to wonder if and when required.

For me, Edu changed the OF game when he came on. He gave us much more energy, with and without the ball and he gave us some much needed forward momentum. Attributes that are critical, especially when we're away from home.

Unfortunately, Big Lee gives us neither.

I would like us to play with 2 wingers but with most if not all the central midifielders are fit now, so Davis on the right and probably Novo or Beasley on the left. With one of Thomson, Edu and McCulloch filling the 2 central positions, my preferred choice would be the first 2 but its too defensive minded. McCulloch is also a ball winner so Davis is the only real option with a creative force. Its tough to get the full effect with our midifelders, if we sold someone e.g. McCulloch or Edu and kept Mendes then it would be alright.

Thommo and Edu in the middle for me. I'd stick with Davis on the right, but give him the licence to wonder if and when required.

For me, Edu changed the OF game when he came on. He gave us much more energy, with and without the ball and he gave us some much needed forward momentum. Attributes that are critical, especially when we're away from home.

Unfortunately, Big Lee gives us neither.

McCulloch is very much in the mould of his mate Barry, slowing play down at every opportunity. We don't need this type of midfielder in 50-60% of our games

Lee deserves a lot of credit for his performances this season but it will be a disgrace if Edu doesn't start at the weekend IMO