Rangers lead pack in race for Jags keeper Tuffey

Rangers are leading a string of clubs monitoring Partick Thistle keeper Jonny Tuffey�s form over the closing games of the Irn-Bru First Division season.

The Northern Ireland inter-national was outstanding despite the 1-0 defeat by Inverness Caley last weekend that ended the Partick promotion dream.

And that man-of-the-match display also drew rave reviews from Caley manager Terry Butcher, who could also be interested in taking Tuffey to the Caledonian Stadium next season if Inverness lock down the Division One title.

But SportTimes also understands Hearts manager Jim Jefferies has made an enquiry about the 23-year-old, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

Motherwell gaffer Craig Brown is another who may be poised to move in the summer when John Ruddy�s loan deal from Everton expires. Down south, Championship sides Derby and Doncaster have also been monitoring Tuffey�s form.

But, with Ibrox chief scout Ewan Chester having been a visitor to Firhill on several occasions and Ibrox No.1 Allan McGregor possibly set for a summer exit, Tuffey has hit form at the right time to come into the frame for his boyhood heroes.

Tuffeyââ?¬â?¢s agent Mark Taylor said: ââ?¬Å?Interest in Jonny has hotted up after his superb display against Inverness. It is no secret that Rangers have had Jonny watched and I guess a lot will depend on Allan McGregor.

ââ?¬Å?There are other clubs in the SPL who have been watching Jonny, while Derby and Doncaster have also shown interest.

ââ?¬Å?That is understandable given that Jonny, at 23, is already a full international and will hopefully go on to become Northern Irelandââ?¬â?¢s No.1. With Jonny out of contract on June 1 that underlines the bargain he would be.ââ?¬Â

The Partick preference is that Tuffey will get his move to the next level via the SPL. The keeper joined the Jags on August 1, 2006, as a 19-year-old Youth player from Coventry.

The Firhill club would be entitled to cash if the player moves to another Scottish club through the Under-23 rule ââ?¬â?? but face losing him for nothing if he heads back over the border.

While Thistle would be looking for a five-figure sum, believed to be in excess of �£50,000, the matter would likely go to tribunal and also open up the possibility of a player recompense deal for Thistle.

Meanwhile, Jags skipper Alan Archibald will be out until September after the knee damage he sustained in last weekend�s defeat by Inverness proved to involve a ligament injury.

Edited by pete

Personally i'd have no qualms about selling McGregor and having Alexander as number 1 with Tuffey as backup. A squad as lopsided as ours (especially after the expected summer departures) does not need a �£5 million rated goalkeeper when his deputy is arguably just as good

Personally i'd have no qualms about selling McGregor and having Alexander as number 1 with Tuffey as backup. A squad as lopsided as ours (especially after the expected summer departures) does not need a �£5 million rated goalkeeper when his deputy is arguably just as good

Yep, I'd also be happy with that.

Birmingham will be very interested in our Allan , as Hart is 99% certain to return to Man City

McGregor would be good value for most clubs so that can only be good for us if we do decide to sell.

The lad has done well for us but as long as reinvest the funds from his transfer I'd be happy to let him move on.

If the fee is good then we should let McGregor go, he also probably needs to get away with all the tabloid press he gets. Hart is a god goalie but he would be double the price of Mcgregor and probably McLeish is looking for cheaper options.

Tuffey would be a sound investment and potential money spinner in the long run. Buy him for less than a few hundred grand & have the option to sell him in a few years for millions. Bit of a no-brainer really. Shame we haven't managed to get more of our young 1st team players on the cheap with the prospects of making profit on them in the long run.

Tuffey would be a sound investment and potential money spinner in the long run. Buy him for less than a few hundred grand & have the option to sell him in a few years for millions. Bit of a no-brainer really. Shame we haven't managed to get more of our young 1st team players on the cheap with the prospects of making profit on them in the long run.

�£50,000 tops. ;)

McGregor's non-stop greeting at the defence, his refusal to ever come for crosses, and his aimless punts upfield are starting to grate somewhat. He started the season very brightly but he has looked very unconvincing lately imo. Virtually every goal we concede, whilst not being blatant errors, i find myself thinking McGregor looked lacklustre there (specific examples being Dundee United's 3rd in the 3-3, Dundee United's winner in the replay, Suso's goal at Tynecastle, St Johnstone's 1st and 3rd goals)

Edited by Dr Preston Burke

Frankie will maybe correct me as I know he used to play in goal and I haven't got a clue how to (as evidenced by my occasional attempts at the 5-a-side) but I don't see how the keeper can be blamed for St Johnstone's first. The defence was shambolic though. It's one where the keeper is left looking a bit daft, but I don't see how he can get the blame.