Rangers lead pack in race for Jags keeper Tuffey

McGregor's positioning could have been better but, like the rest of us, he was probably surprised at the shot given the angle the lad was hitting it from. Even if he was say, a yard to our right, I doubt he'd have saved it as it was simply an incredible strike; in off the post (and helped by the wind a little).

In saying that I think McGregor's concentration recently has been a bit poor and his command of his box has always been questionable. He's a fine shot-stopper but other aspects of his game are not as good as I'd like. Not sure how he could be blamed for some of the goals Dr Burke highlights though.

Alexander is probably the opposite ironically - in that he's possibly not as good at shot-stopping but is stronger with crosses and commands his area better.

His positioning could have been better but I don't think he'd have saved either of them; even if he had been standing at a better angle and/or a couple of yards more off his line.

Both were superb strikes and while I share your point about his overall contribution being questionable, I think it's unfair to blame him for the goals per se.

:)

Suso and Sheridan's goals were almost identical in that McGregor was standing nowhere near the middle of the goal and if he had been, he should've saved both of them

I havent seen the Sheridan goal but your comment Re the Suso goal, to me, is incorrect.

Suso was not hitting the shot from a central area, he was hitting it from right of centre inside the box. The keeper's job in such an instance is to prevent himself from being beaten near post and forcing the opposition player to have to play it across goal. By closing off the near post the keeper knows that the vast majority of times an attacking player will attempt to hit it across the face of goal, which in turn allows the keeper to be pretty confident of which side to dive to.

For the Suso goal, McGregor would have been where you would expect him to have been. Also don't forget the fact that he also would not have been expecting Papac to make such a hash of his clearance.

Also, FWIW, the Sheridan goal was included as an option for SKy Sports goal of the week competition. Now that does not absolve the keeper of blame, but if it was due to poor goalkeeping would they really have it as a potential goal of the week. Also bearing in mind the fact that Sky rarely bother themselves with what is going on up here.

Sheridan will never score another goal like that in his career...

That's why it reminded me of Unirea. They didn't play particularly well, but every shot they hit was one in a million or a wicked deflection. (We of course didn't play well either, but it's not often one team gets so much "luck" in one game, never mind it happening twice).

Edited by Super_Ally

Yeah, the game was a bizarre one. We got what we deserved but three of their goals were freak ones in the grand scheme of things. Unirea was exactly the same although our goal was lucky that night too! ;)

Also, FWIW, the Sheridan goal was included as an option for SKy Sports goal of the week competition. Now that does not absolve the keeper of blame, but if it was due to poor goalkeeping would they really have it as a potential goal of the week. Also bearing in mind the fact that Sky rarely bother themselves with what is going on up here.

I am pretty sure Bougherra 's Champions League goal against Stuttgart won the goal of the week.

I am pretty sure Bougherra 's Champions League goal against Stuttgart won the goal of the week.

Aye, but Scottish football is always a bit of an after thought. They will occasionally show case it, but not often. So my point was, if the "experts" believed that goal was merely down to poor goalkeeping they certainly wouldn't be considering for goal of the week.