Wilson rejects �£12,000?

I am beginning to wonder how much of this story is actually true. Or rather, how can we say with certainty that he is actively seeking a move anywhere? I will admit to not reading every newspaper article featuring Rangers(partly because I rarely buy any, and partly because I skim read the majority of them given there is rarely any substance) but the papers are reporting it as a done deal, yet there does not appear to be much concrete evidence from either Liverpool, the player or their agent by way of direct quotes. Yet again, it is all "sources say" type stuff.

For example, in yesterday's Evening Times, Thomas Jordan wrote the following:

Exclusive by Thomas Jordan

Share 0 comments 13 May 2010

Danny Wilson is edging ever closer to the Ibrox exit as he prepares to seal a dream move to English Premier League giants Liverpool.

And the 18-year-old today paid tribute to the two footballing figures he believes have played vital roles in enabling him to attract the attention of one of Europe�s leading clubs in the first place.

It now appears a case of when rather than if the young defender completes his Ã?£2.5million move to the Anfield club ââ?¬â?? a fee which could rise to as much as Ã?£4m in add-ons ââ?¬â?? and manager Walter Smith admitted as much over the weekend.

Despite still having a year left to run on his existing contract, the Light Blues aren�t in a position to take a chance on allowing their top young talent to run down his contract and leave anything to chance with a compensation tribunal.

That, of course, means when Liverpool get around to tabling an offer ââ?¬â?? it isnââ?¬â?¢t expected to depend on Rafael Benitez retaining his job ââ?¬â?? that Wilson will pack his bags and head for what should prove to be an exciting challenge on Merseyside to team up with the likes of Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher.

Wilson, for now, is happy to wait and see what develops in the future as he seems in no rush to quit Rangers, pointing out that he still has a year of his deal to run when other first-team players are out-of-contract at the end of this month.

Still living in his family home, he is a young player who hasn�t allowed his rapid rise to prominence within Scottish football to go to his head. He also speaks with the confidence and maturity of someone coming towards the end of their career rather than at the start.

And when he dishes out fulsome praise for the roles both his manager Smith, and defensive colleague Davie Weir, have played in helping him along this season, you know he means every word.

ââ?¬Å?Iââ?¬â?¢ve already admitted I would have been happy with just one appearance this season,ââ?¬Â said Wilson. ââ?¬Å?But Iââ?¬â?¢ve played 24 matches, two of them being Champions League appearances as well as making my Old Firm debut so I really couldnââ?¬â?¢t have asked for any more.ââ?¬Â

He went on: ââ?¬Å?For that, firstly, I owe Walter Smith a great deal of gratitude as he has shown a lot of faith in me. He could have easily changed things around, moving in players from other areas of the team as opposed to playing me.

ââ?¬Å?But he didnââ?¬â?¢t. He showed faith in me and, for myself, that was fantastic.

ââ?¬Å?I didnââ?¬â?¢t move round to the first-team dressing room until Christmas time, although I had been training with the first team at different times since I was 16.

ââ?¬Å?People maybe say the manager should play more young players, but he is in a difficult position because you are expected to win every single game at this club.

ââ?¬Å?Sometimes he might be a bit reluctant to play a younger guy, but I understand from his point of view why he wouldnââ?¬â?¢t play an inexperienced player. He is a serious manager, but he is also an approachable manager. You can talk to him and his advice is excellent.ââ?¬Â

While Smith�s help comes off the field of play, the man who has talked the youngster through most of his top team appearances is 40-year-old Weir.

Wilson, of course, says he owes his defensive colleague a massive thank you for the part he has played in his development.

ââ?¬Å?Davie has been brilliant with me,ââ?¬Â said Weir. ââ?¬Å?He is so calm on the field and you learn so much from training and playing beside him.

ââ?¬Å?Even during games, he never shouts or loses his composure. If you make a mistake then you know you have and that is still the case for someone as young as me.

ââ?¬Å?If you maybe get under the ball, he will wait a couple of minutes and just mention your starting position or heââ?¬â?¢ll perhaps tell you that you should have cleared the ball first time. But he is always constructive and I canââ?¬â?¢t thank him enough.ââ?¬Â

So how does playing next to Weir compare to linking up in central defence with Madjid Bougherra?

Wilson starts laughing before saying: ââ?¬Å?I played next to Boogie at St Mirren and he spent the game bombing down the right wing.

ââ?¬Å?Seriously, though, he is another fantastic footballer. I like to pass the ball out from defence, but I donââ?¬â?¢t have the ability to do what he does and run forward and stuff.

ââ?¬Å?But playing with these guys and the rest of the team has been a fantastic education, and they have helped me a great deal this season since coming into the team.ââ?¬Â

Time, of course, will tell if Wilson does indeed move to the English Premier League.

You get the feeling he is so laid back he isn�t getting caught up in the prospect of linking up with some of the world�s best players. Either way, he won�t forget the men who have helped him reach for the stars.

The headline for the story was "I'll never forget men who have helped me reach for the stars" yet I cannot find anything other than the lad being appreciative of the chance he has been given by the Walter Smith, and for the assistance and calming influence of David Weir.

This may be true and the deal could well be as good as done, but I'm sensing young Wilson may well be around next season. If you think about it from his perspective, why sign a long-term deal when there is every chance that the manager who has placed faith in you, will not be around next season to continue your development. why sign a long-term deal when you don't know what players will be signed in the close-season who might well see you being relegated to the bench? And why sign a long term deal if, as some are suggesting, you are motivated by money, when you could potentially play in the Champions League next season and gain valuable experience which could mean you could command a more substantial contract following the end of his current deal with Rangers?

But then again, maybe I'm just getting too cynical... :whistle:

The Wilson/Liverpool link seems too strong for it to be unlikely - especially when you think about the manager's comments about him not being here next year,

Like I said, I have not ready every comment on the matter but I do get the sense it might not be as clear cut as is being suggested. Time will tell...

Guest laudrupno1

To be fair to wilson and any other rangers player/staff id be waitin to see wots gonna happen buyer wise etc before signing on the dotted line.good luck to him if he s off but hopefully he'l be a ger stil next season.